This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

90G rimless

Discussion in 'Journals' started by msb, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:29 AM
    Agree with @Kaldurak this a great journal.

Like the way you describe the thoughts behind every change.

And yes, a bunch of stems can be a chore. Looks like you have to keep those scissors sharp!

Don't blame you for mixing in a few slower growers.

Keep the updates coming.

msb likes this.
  2. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Greggz

I was gonna follow up today with some close up pics but now have to do some research on lighting.

was waiting for the lights to come on and then heard pow !!! I guess it was a ballast. 4 of the 8 lights are out. So far I cant find any detailed info on how to replace a ballast on a Tek fixture.

I wouldnt mind doing an upgrade to a newer T5HO. Im not sure if the ones at the hydroponic shops are as nice.

Anyone reading have any reccomondations ? Reading up on the ATI dimmable but those have been around for awhile now and seem pricey $$$.

Greggz likes this.
  3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:29 PM
    Amazon has some 8 bulb 4' lights for the cheap.
    Dimming ballasts are not cheap and most are 0-10VDC.

msb likes this.
  4. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just signed up for Amazon Prime a few weeks ago so should have it by Saturday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NQPUHM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Needed that extra PAR so tested my LED :D Cant tell from pics but it was so dim in there even with the Tek 4 bulbs lowered 10" + LED.... but it looked really eerie in there.

More plants seem off in there now lately and Ive had way thicker biomass at times and things were better. The tank birthday tommorrow so think I should begin to replenish the aquasoil by just dumping more in a little before every water change.

Took a close up of the Erios. Notice a little yellowing of the outer leaves. They get really long roots and I cut about a half a inch off before planting them which may not have helped. Have 4 more Erio Parkeri and easier cheaper variety to add to the collection coming along with some more UG(not tissue culture) marsilea hirsuta, and some moss.

20181213_221841.jpg 20181213_221957.jpg 20181213_222105.jpg

5. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Happy New Year !

I think the new light maybe overdoing it a little now. Im getting green hair type of algae that I have not seen in months. Very fine hair type, doesnt really attach, easy to remove with toothbrush. A way to measure "par meter" ? would have been nice to compare to the old Tek fixture. Judging just how it looks, it is way brighter. The spillage into the room is annoying :cool:. 4 bulbs with this fixture seems comparable to the tek. Spot algae is the real nuisance. What causes it ? I read different things on this. If lowering the light abit gets rid of it it maybe worth it.

Had an issue with CO2 though to. Since tank startup Ive just let the CO2 output from the rio pump using needle wheel just spew into the third chamber. A few weeks back I did a simple adjustment by just jamming the rio output hose right into the main pump intake. There is a pic below to illustrate. This let me turn the CO2 way back down but left me messing with the needle valve for a week to dial it in.

Also, have been adding aquasoil. I used about a 1/4 bag at first so that could have been the problem. Today I added about 4 Cups. Going to add mabye 2 Cups once a week moving forward.

I finally got the Wisteria out of there and added a type of big Hygro stems. Thinking of pulling the Rotala Enie to and spreading out the background a little. Its a thick jungle in the back right side lately.

New plants that Ive added since last post :

- Erio Parkeri
    - Littorella Unifloria
    - Eleocharis acicularis
    - Hygro stems (need Id)
    - red stem behind erios (need id)

The Eriocaulon Sieboldianum have gotten bigger though not perfectly clean. I try to fan them off daily to keep debris out of them. I love these spikey green urchins. Hoping they get to where I can split them.

Still have a little bit of UG that might be enough for it to make a comeback.

Have about 16 stems of Rotala Ramosior Florida now. Five of the bottom completely deteriated after topping. Is this the same behavior as Sunset ? This plant is a real slow grower, real thin. Need like 30 of them for a nice grouping to really stand out I think. Cant really see them from my usual viewing area about 15 feet away.

Pulled most of the wood except two pieces.

Cuphea and Rotala Macranda look like complete crap rite now :D Ive grown out Macranda really nice before. Cuphea has a million side shoots trying to grow. These picky plants need better positioning in the tank. The prime spots in the tank for mid-ground plants are where Rotala Florida and Yellow Ammania though...... maybe if I just thin out the tank abit overall especially the back right side It will help with these issues o_O

20190102_221031.jpg 20190102_221133.jpg

KeeperOfASilentWorld and Greggz like this.
  6. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    3:29 AM
    As far as i know your algea problem is only light related.. think if you want more light you have to deal with spot algea more.. light to the eye is diffrent then light to your plants..

msb likes this.
  7. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    In the process of a big redo for the 90 and lowering the light is the first thing. Im hoping this can let me get away with lowering the CO2 abit and make it easier to try new fish. Ive been going with about 1.5 - 1.6 ph drop total and will try 1.3 - 1.4 drop with 4 bulbs running over 8 hours. Serpae tetra school and the SAE are going to the 40 gallon. Really want some red cherry shrimp in there for sure, more ottos, more amanos, plecos, and probably gonna try neon tetras. Hopefully this works out easy. Just gonna go really easy on the CO2 when I get the fish in and try just running 2 bulbs and then slowly work up. Havnt been willing to do this up until now and have had a bunch of problems when trying new fish in the last year.

Did extensive cleaning to the tank in the last week and have opened up a lot of space for new plants on the way. Only gonna have like 4 or 5 stems that grow quickly to the top. Other stems like Pedicellata that grow slow or Ludwigia Red are easy to keep short and look nice. Ive been testing a bunch of stems in the no-CO2 so this has let me phase them out of the 90 and still have them in my collection.

8. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Big change to the layout and new fish for the new year !

The Serpae Tetra school and the SAE went to the 40 gallon. It was a nightmare trying to net them all. I wound up uprooting like a third of the plants and had only caught like 5 in hour and half. Finally had the idea to chase them into a bucket and that worked pretty quickly. I should have pulled them the night before having turned the lights on early they were really skiddish.

New fish -

3 plecos
    7 amanos total now 13
    25 Bloody Mary shrimps, just a redder bred cherry shrimps so the store owner said
    6 neon tetras to start, I may be able to do like a 100, will take pet store advice on how many for a 90 gallon

I did like half the photoperiod with no CO2 for the fish to start with 2 bulbs lighting. 1.1 drop ph today and upped CO2 a hair. This is tricky Im pretty newb at this and trying to be cautious. Gonna wait till I get a school of tetras going before upping light and CO2 more.

New plants -

Cabomba Furcata
    AR mini
    Red Downoi
    Mermaid Weed
    UG
    Elatine hydropiper
    Marsilea hirsuta (4 leaf clover)
    Bucephalandra Kedagang Japan
    Bucephalandra Red Mini

GLA is running a great sale on Tissue culture and Burr was generous so was very happy with this group of plants. Final attempt with UG ! It was way easier to plant deeply in the rear and bought like x3 what I tried before. Will see how it works out with just two bulbs running. I think there is still a good balance of fast growing weeds along with the carpets. Pantanal, Ludwigia Red, Pogo Stellatus, and that new stem in the back right should grow quickly. Rotala Macranda and Cuphea in nice open area. Will need another excuse if they dont come out looking good. Not sure about the Erios. 3 of the Parkeri went into seed mode. 4 of the Sieboldianum look good, 1 of the other 3 is in real bad shape. I hope I can maintain these.

KH using Salifert - 2.8 dKH

Made new micro batch less concentrated 880 ml using 30 ml doses. Upped B to .06. Was gonna do .055 but calculator would only give me a weight for .06.

Not the greatest pictures as most of it is new, hacked down, or has been moved around in last few days.

20190109_213059.jpg

View attachment 14559

Tim Harrison and Greggz like this.
  9. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Tank seems stable now. All set for easy maintenance. I let CO2 build up now for an hour and get about 1.1 drop ph when light comes on and 1.4 peak drop. New bulb selection for lights seems odd but it looks great to me. 2 reds in the front, a yellow, and a 10k in the back. I see no signs of spot algae build up on the glass or plants so far.

I lost like 15 Neon Tetras in the first few days but last 4 days no deaths. For some reason they wont eat from the top so have to crush the food up abit. Red shrimps seem fine. I see little tiny ones roaming around where before the Serpae tetras would eat them for sure.

The UG and the Elatine hydropiper are all gone. It seemed like it was there one day and gone the next. Still a little worried about the Erios. The front 3 seem fine and have gotten big but others have bent leaves (spikes). One of them was so bad I pulled it and split into two to see what happens. Id like a nice big group of the Cabomba Furcata and will probably remove Rotala Macranda to make room for it. Also, will pull Tiger Lotus bulbs and have somethin that will stay red in the 40 gallon. Ive had the original Tiger Lotus bulb for like 7 or 8 years now but a few months back I had it in this tank in the corner and for first time found a bunch of new small bulbs had formed when uprooting.

20190115_171634.jpg 20190115_161558.jpg 20190115_162010.jpg

Phishless and toads74 like this.
Tags: