90G rimless

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Update

I changed the photoperiod to 7 hours instead of 8 and run Co2 now for only 6 hours and 5 minutes. So 5 minute CO2 build up before lights on and then off for last hour of light. I want to reduce stress to the fish. Tetras always seemed fine but I noticed over the months my ottos less active from CO2 stress. If its too high they will all go to the top some of them mouths rite at the water line. A little less and they are just inactive and stay on the back sides against the glass. During the first hour of CO2 build up and the hour when it goes off they are very active sometimes swimming around and round in a big school. I still have like 20 of them.

I got 4 plecos but 3 of them died. Caught the last one and seemed like he was about to go to so tossed him in the cube tank. Also got a SAE. He seems fine, looks like a big otto but always very active. Again, I think CO2 stress issues. Lowering the photoperiod/CO2 on time seemed the easier fix. When I adjust the needle valve on the GLA the change seems too much. Its not like I can just change the PH drop in .1 increments. I can see the bubbles coming out of the tube before being sucked into the return line and the change is too much trying to move the needle valve on the GLA reg.

Green slime algae (BGA) has finally gone. The petstore owner at Fantastic Fins mentioned he would only see this stuff when a tank doing a mini-cycle. I was using lots of H2O2 :D but stopped to see if that was the problem. Cant find any BBA in there but have been dealing with a bit of fine green hair algae. It comes out pretty easy with a tooth brush though. If it starts to get worse I may try thinning out the overall biomass in there a little more.

Not much change to the scape. I went to town with scissors a few weeks ago and it came out pretty nice. Hate to lose all the fluffy tops but dont want to spend 3 hours strait doing maintenance. Just trimmed again, just cutting tops and took some pics. I did replant tops of Kimberly and Ammania Ped. both which are doing very nice now for me :eek: Rotala macranda is again very deep red. Ive been keeping the plants next to it trimmed down so think that maybe the main issue is that plant needs its CO2.

Dosing change just a little less phophate twice a week about 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp. Micros dosed 4 times a week but only using DTPA iron and Manganese as mentioned in earlier post. About to try full trace dosing again to see If I can see changes. Ive been letting water changes go now 7-10 days usually 60-70 percent.

20180710_173943.jpg
20180710_174129.jpg

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Tank keeps getting better and better.

Nice mix of plants and layout. Great color and look very healthy.

Reactions: msb

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks fellas,

Posting for reference. I will try one of these.

Fe - .15 ppm
Mn - .06 ppm
B - .03 ppm
Zn - .042 ppm
Mo - .0015 ppm
Cu - .002 ppm
Ni - .0005 ppm

Stronger Fe version

Fe - .2 ppm
Mn - .08 ppm
B - .035 ppm
Zn - .05 ppm
Mo - .0015 ppm
Cu - .002 ppm
Ni - .0005 ppm

Update

My silly cat was trying to walk the rim on the tank today and fell in half way :confused: got the electrical all wet. He is ok but hid in the corner for awhile.

Having some bad luck with fish. Found my Ram cichlid on the ground today. Serpae Tetras are great though. Id like another 30 in there but waiting for another sale at petsmart. I went out and got 5 more. They were mean as hec rite out of the bag and ready to eat. Got 2 more Red Wag platys to. So now have 16 tetras and 5 platys.

skija

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2015
Romania
Reduce light so you can reduce co2 levels if you have stressed fish because of high co2 levels . Or you ca also increase surface movement

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Update

I started using the custom micro last week. Rotala Macranda is growing out with nice tops like red roses. I think having this plant too crowded blocking flow(CO2) can be an issue also with this plant.

I got some Pantanal in there now, Thanks, Burr. It was really hot out when shipped but I got it really quick. Its grown fast and I already have 5 times the plant mass of it now. I had some trouble working it in there as far as overall layout. Things wound up too symetrical for the layout but sorted that out using it kinda like I had Ludwigia red awhile back. Just need to grow it out a little more and shape it. Its gonna look great in a week or two :D

Green hair algae has been a nuisance but it is easy to get out with a toothbrush unless its deep in a plant mass like the small rotalas. This issue started rite about the time I swapped out one of the pure red bulbs for a blue so I changed back a few days ago. There was alot of the fine hair algae in the Ludwigia red and Mini Butterfly so threw most of it out and restarted with tiny little tops. Not even thinking of lowering lighting or CO2 anytime soon though. Plants grow fast and any algae gets exported with trimming.

Here is full dosing regimen.

Water change - once a week on Sunday

Macros - dosed twice a week on Sundays and Wednesday

NO3 - 16.53 ppm
PO4 - 3.87 ppm
K - 15.8 ppm

Micros - dosed daily

Fe - .2 ppm
Mn - .08 ppm
B - .035 ppm
Zn - .05 ppm
Mo - .0015 ppm
Cu - .002 ppm
Ni - .0005 ppm

20180814_162134.jpg
20180814_162230.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks Burr, I will up the B next batch. Awhile back when I had Ludwigia red running front to back I started noticing this. All leaves were droopy.

Last Sunday a day after uprooting about a third of the tank I got another green water bloom. I need to get the UV running whenever uprooting big sections of the tank.

Did a big trim and replanted some tops today. Some crazy fast growth since I posted that last pic. Some of the Pantanal was already at the top of the aquarium and nice orange color. Pantanal is nicely shaped now by trimming the back tops and using nice tops at the front so should look real nice soon.

With the cloudy water and plants all hacked down, the tank doesnt look so good so didnt bother to take pictures. My trimming techniques are getting better so this should look pretty good after the water clears up and plants fill in.

Reactions: burr740

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
I let the tank get overgrown for awhile there but just did a big trim. It seemed like pounds of wisteria, should have weighed it :eek: Some plants like Rotala Macranda and Kimberly were affected from being too crowded. It seems I can only grow out the Rotala Macranda nicely if I keep everything around it short. I could move it but like having a red in that spot and dont want to move anything else rite now. I like my layout so not willing to make too of big changes.

The Lobelia cardinalis did get pulled though and in it I found a really small piece of Monte Carlo and its already like x20 size. My idea is to let that Monte Carlo grow front to back and leave that anubias filled log rite on top of the carpet. Ive never seen anubias grow this fast either. Pantanal grows very fast to and dont think I have any problems with how it looks. It is in a prime spot though.

I hacked down the wisteria and just pulled the back part from the tank cause felt needed to be rid of all the debris caught in it. Ill have it front to back again in no time with how fast it grows. Rotala butterfly is off a little cause I hacked it down to like an inch but it grows easy for me a nice rasberry red. Rotala Macranda got tops hacked off to, they were not perfect but my pics are bottom third of what was there so needs a week to grow out.

Since the new micro dosing, plants overall seem healthier. I think there is a better top to bottom growth of some plants like Kimberly, Ammania Ped., Stauro, and the Rotala green most noticibly is so thick/grows fast.

Ludwigia Red had nice flat leaves for a day after water change/micro dose but now already leaves are droopy so will up the B as recommended next micro batch.

Also, ran out of KNO3 so started using Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate I had on hand just to see if it makes any difference. KNO3 is more convenient to use though cause I can just use a spoon to measure. This stuff I have to measure the weight cause it comes in pebble and flake form.

I got some pics but it will be maybe a week till its all colored up nice for a good front tank shot. Notice the Rotala green how the bottom part it so shaded its like nite time but still full leaves.

20181002_195302.jpg
20181002_195406.jpg
20181002_195420.jpg

Last edited:

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
I had to take down my cube tank that had all anubias. Im not sure exactly why it happened but I had a big die off of the guppy population and the Anubias in there was just slowly going downhill for months. I did the standard 19:1 water/bleach 2 minute dip to take care of the bba and used superglue to attach most of it to a few pieces of wood.

I think I have a better idea of how to use it in the 90 but for now its all grouped together in the middle. Some of these anubias originally had huge stalks and leaves but now I cant tell which is which besides petite, nana, and coffeefolia. One of them used to have hand sized leaves. Surely I can get them to grow back to full glory in this tank so should be cool to see.

Ludwigia Pantanal grows so fast it is a nuisance. 10 days max and it needs to be topped and replanted to look good. I just replanted about 20 tops about 4" each so will countdown how long it takes to hit the top. I have them in the prime spot in the aquarium and ready to replace with something colorful (not pure red) and was thinking somethin uncommon like cuphea anagalloidea, rotala sunset, or rotala ramosior florida. I havnt seen these lately in sales threads so if someone reading offer and I will buy.

Also, want to swap out Rotala green and Wisteria that are on the sides and Stauro with another short foreground plant.

20181010_191317.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Did a big rescape of about 50 % of the tank yesterday. That and wanted to show some issues.

Purchased a few plants, one of them a rare one so really needed to rethink the layout to work them in. Utricularia Graminifolia, Rotala Ramosior Florida, Hydrocotyle Tripartita. Pushed the Wisteria, Ludwigia Red, and Pantanal over to the left where I think is a bad flow area.

Pogostemon Kimberly went to hell on me. I think this had to do with flow in that area also. I had ripped all the wisteria out of the corner awhile back so the kimberly rite next to it was taking the brunt of corner flow. I put all my anubias logs in the corner for a quick fix and kinda like how it looks. Kimberly and Rotala Macranda v. are the only ones giving me problems lately and I took some close up pics to show. See how ratty the Kimberly looks toward the bottom and bad colors of Macranda in a pic taken two weeks ago.

Still thinking of where to use the Hydrocotyle Tripartita. Thinking of putting the rest of the anubias in the corner and starting the new plant in the front.

20181018_181428.jpg
20181013_172819.jpg
20181013_172807.jpg
20181013_173024.jpg

Last edited:

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Rotala Florida is growing painfully slow but the 5 stems have gained about an inch since planting. The UG was split into 4 pieces when first planted but after about 5 days the batches started to dislodge and found them floating. Im lucky they didnt make thier way to the overflow where they would have got shredded. I split the floaters up a little more and now preying the plant takes hold.

Finally got through the first micro mix batch and now second batch has B at .05ppm. I do 1000ml mix and dose 15ml per day.

I ripped out the big rotala mess that was on the left glass and replaced with a hodgepodge of plants. Found a few limno aromatica within the rotala and added a crinum, one stem of pogo octopus (I think that was the name but it does get huge tentacles), and hydrocotyle Japan in the front.

Macranda and Pogo Kimberly came out nice, it worked. Just need to trim everything on right side now and plant the nice tops. Stauro is gonna get ripped out and thinking just gonna keep about several plantlets of it rite on the glass then the Rotala Florida should have some breathing room.

20181027_221956.jpg
20181027_222008.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
This has to be my best layout so far. Put in about 2.5 hours to finish the right side. Im gonna let it go for 10 days before next water change to see if the plants like it. Should only have to deal with the Pantanal by then.

Ive been wanting to try only low carpets and short plants for the foreground all the way across which I think will help with the depth look. Im finally happy with the sides. In pic you can see I ran the wisteria to the left glass and brought the Hydrocotyle to the front.

The stauro came out like a 5 inch tall huge stauro pie weighing like 5 lbs o_O. I hate to throw it away so think gonna try to sell for a generous price. Its gotta be like over a hundred little plantlets.

I bet the Rotala Florida takes off now. It doesnt contrast well with the Macranda rite behind it but maybe after if fattens up it will work where its at.

Awhile back I was pulling gobs of hair algae out but it just stopped after upping the CO2 abit. PH drop is about 1.5 - 1.6 at peak though its been awhile since ive calibrated the probe. These Serpae Tetra seem not bothered by CO2 at all and Ive found a few baby platys in the third sump chamber where its like sparkling water. Im still not sure about the ottos though. They just seem inactive to me though I still have most of them after like 10 months now. Maybe they are mostly nightime active donno. The SAE is a worker. Got BBA on your filter output or CO2 probe ? Get a SAE and he will eat it. I think I will get a few more of them soon and some more amanos. Snail population seems under control to. I have ramshorns in there and Assassins.

20181031_194416.jpg

20181031_191522.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
I threw the anubias log up in the corner and now need somethin to fill that empty spot up front. The rest of the foreground is filling in quick. Hope the UG gets established !

I was gonna show a FTS but just didnt look good. I think you really need to have your trimming down and good timing to capture a good portrait showing the depth. Took a video instead. I could do a better video next time but its been awhile. Need to use Chrome on my computer to watch in 1080p

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Made a few changes since last post.

- Rotala Macranda was too dead center

- Pantanal is a weed so I moved it to a shady spot to see how it does.

- lost like 90% of my UG :( This stuff just wouldnt stay rooted. I noticed a few times SAE messing with it, snails burrowing around it, and it is in a high flow corner. I kept finding clumps of it floating and now just down to a few small pieces.

- removed the anubias tree and put back into the cube 25 gallon. I redid that tank and it looks great with a big anubias tree in the center, I just added another nice piece of wood and gonna pull out the hydrocotyle to try and drape it over it.

- Have about 10 stems of Rotala Florida now. Havnt even trimmed it yet, each stem has a sideshoot growing. Feel lucky that I grew it out having started out as chincy little stems. I will have about 30 stems soon :cool:

Need a more diverse foreground. I just have stauro, monto carlo, and a few strands of UG but thinking I could have like 7 types. Thinking of nice plantlets like erios, downoi, and need a contrast to green.

20181125_194401.jpg
20181125_194534.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Update

I got a Note 9 so pictures should come out nicer now. First pic is a day later but with new phone and then others showing changes I made.

Recalibrated ph probe and did some testing of KH using a Salifert brand. The readings I got were in 1-3 range of water from tap, one of my non-co2, and this tank.

No more front to back wisteria for me. There is no avoiding long maintenance days having all stems so with that in mind I was thinking more foreground plants, slower growing plants, or just ones that are really easy to maintain (top trimming) to take up more space in the front 12" out of the 24" whole front to back.

I really butchered the tank as you can see in the second pic. After that I could not make up my mind on how to fill it in o_O so decided to try out a woodscape then plant between the lines, and be rid of some plants I dont care for like (not so mini) Limnophila Aromatica. I planned to use the wood in my new 40g but will decide if want to keep it after I remove the weights.

Decided to give UG another try in a different spot. This time I split it up a little more from the start and used little nails pushed in each planting hoping it will help keep it all from coming up again. Also, added Cuphea Angolidea, and two Erios. Id like to have a bunch of the latter. The Sieboldianum seems ok but the red one I got maybe deteriorating.
20181126_171737.jpg

20181128_164927.jpg
20181202_212546.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
I did a bunch of work on the tanks in the last few weeks. Fixed up my non-co2 setup. Here is the specs

Lighting is a 4 bulb 48" Hydroponic T5HO but only running 2 bulbs. Its suspended about 40" from the substrate of both tanks. Photoperiod is 5 hours a day but the cube gets a little natural light some mornings.

Cube Tank (25 gallon) 18"x18"

- Eheim 2217
- Heater @ 76 F
- Inert Substrate
- dosing schedule
- 2 times a week 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp PO4, 1/8 tsp K2SO4, 3 ml trace

A simple tank for my critters. 100 shrimps, 100 assassin snails, and recently added some platys. I just redid this adding new substrate and cleaned out the filter. It was just a very thin layer sand/dirt mix. I let the anubias grow nice and thick in the 90 rimless and now they are back home

40 Gallon 36"x 18"

- Aquaclear 110
- Aquaclear 30 Powerhead
- Heater @ 78 F
- Aquasoil

Its all brand new and very cost effective equipment. Good surface ripple for gas exchange, circular flow where current should sweep across bottom front. For now Im just gonna throw trimmings in there from my main tank and see how they do. No dosing just feed from the roots, but plan on playing with this tank as much as the 90 and do weekly water changes. Not gonna do every other day water changes or measuring ammonia, just gonna wait about 3 months before adding fish. Just added like 25 tops of Acmella, 10 rotala enie, and some monte carlo so its pretty full already.

40 Gallon 36"x 18" (bottom tank)

A Twin tank with same exact equipment but its old and dirty. Needed a light though so got a Beamswork DA FSPEC LED and a dimmer. The problem with this setup (3 tanks) is the electrical mess. I played with it abit but needing to use 4 more outlets for the bottom, decided to just hold off on it. One goal I had in mind with this whole setup was to make it safer. Before I was using outlets that were just inches away from water and was embarrased to even show pictures. I have a plan for this tank just using the light that will be a surprise for later update.

90 gallon Update

UG failed again. Not gonna give up yet though. :( Will buy some submersed acclimated next time.

Cuphea grew out nice roots in just a few days but all tips are stunted. It was in bad spot so moved over to right side. Same issue with a few tops of Macranda that it was rite next to. Its always CO2, flow, crowding imo and dont want to rock the boat messing with macros when newer more expensive plants are doing fine.

Id like to try something with color to the left of the erios but not ar minis. Was thinking of some of those pink crypts or Erio King Crimson but $$$.

WIll replace monte carlo, stauro, and push back the tripartita so that and to left of the erios gives me 4 areas for new plantings. I could dress up the wood to so lots of room to play in there.

20181204_202356.jpg
20181209_220844.jpg

Last edited:

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks Kaldurak,

I swear I had just caught that thread of yours with the Pink Flamingos, thats why I mentioned it above. " Pink Crypts " There is some tissue culture available of them on ebay but havnt had luck converting to submersed the last few others Ive tried like UG and Downoi. I will buy a few of those if you want to sell :D