This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

90G rimless

Discussion in 'Journals' started by msb, Dec 10, 2017.

1. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:06 PM
    Update

I changed the photoperiod to 7 hours instead of 8 and run Co2 now for only 6 hours and 5 minutes. So 5 minute CO2 build up before lights on and then off for last hour of light. I want to reduce stress to the fish. Tetras always seemed fine but I noticed over the months my ottos less active from CO2 stress. If its too high they will all go to the top some of them mouths rite at the water line. A little less and they are just inactive and stay on the back sides against the glass. During the first hour of CO2 build up and the hour when it goes off they are very active sometimes swimming around and round in a big school. I still have like 20 of them.

I got 4 plecos but 3 of them died. Caught the last one and seemed like he was about to go to so tossed him in the cube tank. Also got a SAE. He seems fine, looks like a big otto but always very active. Again, I think CO2 stress issues. Lowering the photoperiod/CO2 on time seemed the easier fix. When I adjust the needle valve on the GLA the change seems too much. Its not like I can just change the PH drop in .1 increments. I can see the bubbles coming out of the tube before being sucked into the return line and the change is too much trying to move the needle valve on the GLA reg.

Green slime algae (BGA) has finally gone. The petstore owner at Fantastic Fins mentioned he would only see this stuff when a tank doing a mini-cycle. I was using lots of H2O2 :D but stopped to see if that was the problem. Cant find any BBA in there but have been dealing with a bit of fine green hair algae. It comes out pretty easy with a tooth brush though. If it starts to get worse I may try thinning out the overall biomass in there a little more.

Not much change to the scape. I went to town with scissors a few weeks ago and it came out pretty nice. Hate to lose all the fluffy tops but dont want to spend 3 hours strait doing maintenance. Just trimmed again, just cutting tops and took some pics. I did replant tops of Kimberly and Ammania Ped. both which are doing very nice now for me :eek: Rotala macranda is again very deep red. Ive been keeping the plants next to it trimmed down so think that maybe the main issue is that plant needs its CO2.

Dosing change just a little less phophate twice a week about 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp. Micros dosed 4 times a week but only using DTPA iron and Manganese as mentioned in earlier post. About to try full trace dosing again to see If I can see changes. Ive been letting water changes go now 7-10 days usually 60-70 percent.

20180710_173943.jpg 20180710_174129.jpg

2. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tank keeps getting better and better.

Nice mix of plants and layout. Great color and look very healthy.

msb likes this.
  3. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:06 PM
    Agree, keeps getting better and better. Very nice!

You may want to try Fe:Mn at a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Myself and a couple others are finding it works much better than 2:1, seems to help Fe utilization

msb, DeepMetropolis and Greggz like this.
  4. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks fellas,

Posting for reference. I will try one of these.

Fe - .15 ppm
    Mn - .06 ppm
    B - .03 ppm
    Zn - .042 ppm
    Mo - .0015 ppm
    Cu - .002 ppm
    Ni - .0005 ppm

Stronger Fe version

Fe - .2 ppm
    Mn - .08 ppm
    B - .035 ppm
    Zn - .05 ppm
    Mo - .0015 ppm
    Cu - .002 ppm
    Ni - .0005 ppm

Update

My silly cat was trying to walk the rim on the tank today and fell in half way :confused: got the electrical all wet. He is ok but hid in the corner for awhile.

Having some bad luck with fish. Found my Ram cichlid on the ground today. Serpae Tetras are great though. Id like another 30 in there but waiting for another sale at petsmart. I went out and got 5 more. They were mean as hec rite out of the bag and ready to eat. Got 2 more Red Wag platys to. So now have 16 tetras and 5 platys.

5. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Reduce light so you can reduce co2 levels if you have stressed fish because of high co2 levels . Or you ca also increase surface movement

6. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Update

I started using the custom micro last week. Rotala Macranda is growing out with nice tops like red roses. I think having this plant too crowded blocking flow(CO2) can be an issue also with this plant.

I got some Pantanal in there now, Thanks, Burr. It was really hot out when shipped but I got it really quick. Its grown fast and I already have 5 times the plant mass of it now. I had some trouble working it in there as far as overall layout. Things wound up too symetrical for the layout but sorted that out using it kinda like I had Ludwigia red awhile back. Just need to grow it out a little more and shape it. Its gonna look great in a week or two :D

Green hair algae has been a nuisance but it is easy to get out with a toothbrush unless its deep in a plant mass like the small rotalas. This issue started rite about the time I swapped out one of the pure red bulbs for a blue so I changed back a few days ago. There was alot of the fine hair algae in the Ludwigia red and Mini Butterfly so threw most of it out and restarted with tiny little tops. Not even thinking of lowering lighting or CO2 anytime soon though. Plants grow fast and any algae gets exported with trimming.

Here is full dosing regimen.

Water change - once a week on Sunday

Macros - dosed twice a week on Sundays and Wednesday

NO3 - 16.53 ppm
    PO4 - 3.87 ppm
    K - 15.8 ppm

Micros - dosed daily

Fe - .2 ppm
    Mn - .08 ppm
    B - .035 ppm
    Zn - .05 ppm
    Mo - .0015 ppm
    Cu - .002 ppm
    Ni - .0005 ppm

20180814_162134.jpg 20180814_162230.jpg

7. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Great pics and nice colors!

msb likes this.
  8. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:06 PM
    Nice!!

Try raising B to straighten out that Ludwigia red, the tops are sorta shriveled atm, right? Something like .05 - .055...wont take long, few days

AgMa and msb like this.
  9. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Burr, I will up the B next batch. Awhile back when I had Ludwigia red running front to back I started noticing this. All leaves were droopy.

Last Sunday a day after uprooting about a third of the tank I got another green water bloom. I need to get the UV running whenever uprooting big sections of the tank.

Did a big trim and replanted some tops today. Some crazy fast growth since I posted that last pic. Some of the Pantanal was already at the top of the aquarium and nice orange color. Pantanal is nicely shaped now by trimming the back tops and using nice tops at the front so should look real nice soon.

With the cloudy water and plants all hacked down, the tank doesnt look so good so didnt bother to take pictures. My trimming techniques are getting better so this should look pretty good after the water clears up and plants fill in.

burr740 likes this.
  10. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I let the tank get overgrown for awhile there but just did a big trim. It seemed like pounds of wisteria, should have weighed it :eek: Some plants like Rotala Macranda and Kimberly were affected from being too crowded. It seems I can only grow out the Rotala Macranda nicely if I keep everything around it short. I could move it but like having a red in that spot and dont want to move anything else rite now. I like my layout so not willing to make too of big changes.

The Lobelia cardinalis did get pulled though and in it I found a really small piece of Monte Carlo and its already like x20 size. My idea is to let that Monte Carlo grow front to back and leave that anubias filled log rite on top of the carpet. Ive never seen anubias grow this fast either. Pantanal grows very fast to and dont think I have any problems with how it looks. It is in a prime spot though.

I hacked down the wisteria and just pulled the back part from the tank cause felt needed to be rid of all the debris caught in it. Ill have it front to back again in no time with how fast it grows. Rotala butterfly is off a little cause I hacked it down to like an inch but it grows easy for me a nice rasberry red. Rotala Macranda got tops hacked off to, they were not perfect but my pics are bottom third of what was there so needs a week to grow out.

Since the new micro dosing, plants overall seem healthier. I think there is a better top to bottom growth of some plants like Kimberly, Ammania Ped., Stauro, and the Rotala green most noticibly is so thick/grows fast.

Ludwigia Red had nice flat leaves for a day after water change/micro dose but now already leaves are droopy so will up the B as recommended next micro batch.

Also, ran out of KNO3 so started using Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate I had on hand just to see if it makes any difference. KNO3 is more convenient to use though cause I can just use a spoon to measure. This stuff I have to measure the weight cause it comes in pebble and flake form.

I got some pics but it will be maybe a week till its all colored up nice for a good front tank shot. Notice the Rotala green how the bottom part it so shaded its like nite time but still full leaves.

20181002_195302.jpg 20181002_195406.jpg 20181002_195420.jpg

#70 msb, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  11. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I had to take down my cube tank that had all anubias. Im not sure exactly why it happened but I had a big die off of the guppy population and the Anubias in there was just slowly going downhill for months. I did the standard 19:1 water/bleach 2 minute dip to take care of the bba and used superglue to attach most of it to a few pieces of wood.

I think I have a better idea of how to use it in the 90 but for now its all grouped together in the middle. Some of these anubias originally had huge stalks and leaves but now I cant tell which is which besides petite, nana, and coffeefolia. One of them used to have hand sized leaves. Surely I can get them to grow back to full glory in this tank so should be cool to see.

Ludwigia Pantanal grows so fast it is a nuisance. 10 days max and it needs to be topped and replanted to look good. I just replanted about 20 tops about 4" each so will countdown how long it takes to hit the top. I have them in the prime spot in the aquarium and ready to replace with something colorful (not pure red) and was thinking somethin uncommon like cuphea anagalloidea, rotala sunset, or rotala ramosior florida. I havnt seen these lately in sales threads so if someone reading offer and I will buy.

Also, want to swap out Rotala green and Wisteria that are on the sides and Stauro with another short foreground plant.

20181010_191317.jpg

Greggz likes this.
Tags: