This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

90G rimless

Discussion in 'Journals' started by msb, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:04 PM
    Looking great. Nice post and nice pics!

burr740 and msb like this.
  2. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Greggz,

I would accept that earlier offer of trimmings "hint Pantanal":cool: . If anything in here ever interests you. lemme know.

Also, in your other journal at PT the post about the use of a flow meter and using with bad regulator for good control is a great idea worthy of its own thread !

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10821809-post983.html

Greggz and burr740 like this.
  3. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    3:04 PM
    Indeed looking very nice!

Hell yeah it is! Ive been meaning to at least add something about them in my journal.

Using one now on the 120 and the 75, and the 50 will be getting one soon. Those things are the ticket!

msb and Greggz like this.
  4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:04 PM
    Would you be able to post some detailed pictures on how they are connected? I’m curious to know how the co2 hose is secured into the unit. Maybe the brand of hose you use to? Cheers.

5. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    3:04 PM
    They have two 3/8" npt female ports, one for in and one for out. You just start with a 3/8" male npt fitting and wind up at a 1/8" hose barb.

I sorta took the long way about doing it using what Lowes had in stock. Had to put several things together in order to get where I was going. It can be done with a lot less fittings. :) I believe @Greggz has a one piece barb fitting on his

24931031587_fed81e55e4_b.jpg

Then its just a matter of using standard CO2 tubing.

msb and Kyalgae like this.
  6. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:04 PM
    Nope, macrandra japan.

msb likes this.
  7. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ran out of excel but will stay with rest of routine as dont want to change to many variables all at once. Twice a week water changes. Macro dose once rite after water change, micros on other days of DTPA and flourish trace. There is barely any Manganese in my micro dose though and I notice the custom mix people are using has iron/manganese 2/1 ratio. The only isssues I notice rite now are Limno rugosa has some transparent patches in the leaves and a few stunted tips of Macranda out of about 15 stems.

I bought a new stand to hold my two 40 breeders months back and thinking about equipment that they should get. This will be setup rite next to the cube that has a cabinet to hide equipment. The top tank would share light with the cube so need a light for the bottom. The cube is using a eheim 2217 and I have a Aquaclear 110 spare.

Id like the same equipment for the 40s so need a new Aquaclear 110 or a new eheim canister. Im leaning toward Aquaclears cause seems like it would be easier to clean them out and not have a tangled mess under the small cabinet. Eheim 2217's have flow issues with 40 breeders and plumbing reactors and heaters into them would leave me needing powerheads. A 3 output co2 rig would be added but at a later date after playing with non-co2 methods for awhile.

Anyone reading have opinions on Aquaclear 110 filters ? Good or bad to run with co2 ? The one I have rite now is noisy but I have a spare impeller that might fix the problem, or are they just noisy filters anyway ?

20180315_155005.jpg

-

8. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Update

Plant biomass got crazy rite up to when i ran out of excel about 3 weeks ago. Did not have the patience for a 2-3 hour perfect trim, replant tops etc. I just went to town with scissors hacking everything. Removed all the Rotalas except "Rotala Green" and put to the right side back corner. Pulled a 10"x10"x2" thick matt of Monte Carlo. Also, swapped Peddicellata with Kimberly position.

Tiger Lotus is keeping a good shape. Its been sprouting for me for about 6 years now but the stalks always just shot to the top like lily pads. Next step will be removing one or two more plant types, and a proper trimming throughout.

Tank held up well after the huge biomass shift. There is some spot algae and you can see some BGA on the bottom front glass. None or very little BBA in there.

20180403_202555.jpg

9. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Aquascaping

Pulled out the rest of Monte Carlo and Diplis Diandra making some room for Lobelia cardinalis. I still had a bunch of clumps from how I had originally planted it which I just split up and I topped about 10 of them to work into where Monto Carlo was. Just have to wait for it to fill in.

Have Ludwigia red running further wrapped around the back of Ammania yellow.

I have another idea to use Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis) on the right side all along the glass ascending to the back so will probably toss Kimberly and the Marselia M. Will move the Blyxa though. I planted a few emersed form in there and have some I ordered cheap off ebay :D This should make a great contrast and I always see it in old dutch tank pictures.

Thinking of how the area with the Tiger Lotus will look after it goes dormant. Persicaria may look good maintained as tall stems rite to the top of water line where it is now and in place of the Lotus.

Not sure what to do about mini Limno Aromatica. The tall Pogostemen Stellatus behind it doesnt work. Maybe run Limno to the back and a few Pogo stems in front of it (just thought of that)

Messed with substrate quite a bit last two weeks and tank is hazy so put UV back inline. Finding some algae on Ammania Ped. and Rotala Mac. seems off. I have triple or more than started with but color doesnt seem rite, some twistiness. I took close up pick but to hazy and camera sucks.

20180409_200317.jpg
    20180407_224039.jpg

burr740, Greggz and Phishless like this.
  10. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dosing

50 % Water change twice a week and dose macro after

Macro twice a week

NO3 - 16.5 ppm
    PO4 - 5.16 ppm

I want to get closer to Burrs recommended dose of Iron/Manganese 2:1 ratio so got some Manganese Sulfate. Ive been using Flourish Trace which lacks in Mn but about to run out. Other micros will be from tap for now.

Micro dose 5 days a week

Fe - .15 ppm
    Mn - .075 ppm

Aquascape

Pogo Stellatus got huge. I swapped it with Hydrothix and hid it in the corner with Ludwigia rubin and Pennywort in case want to use any of those again.

Tossed Marselia M., was running all over the place like a little weed.

Trimmed Ludwigia red nicely, trimmed a bunch of leaves off of Lotus bulb, and spread Persicaria to the back. Corner should look cool when Persicaria and rotalas get some height.

Better contrasts throughout now besides Rotala Green and Limno Aromatica which are still quite different. Rotala seems better if I want height. I could work it over there to replace Limno eventually and have Wisteria on the right side.

In person Ammannia Pedicellata is the eye catcher, that and Pogostemon Stellatus are current favorites.

20180412_173934.jpg 20180412_173801.jpg

11. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    A few more things I want to log here.

This setup goes through CO2 fast. Alot gets wasted with method being used but its cheap so no biggy. CO2 tube is attached rite through a hole drilled into into a small Rio pump using a needle wheel impeller. Rio output goes through about 3 feet of tubing then back into the third chamber of sump.The third chamber is like a reactor but lots of degassing.

I just recalibrated ph probe and observed 1.0 drop in ph in 10 minutes. 1.6 peak drop. Fish are fine, still have 23 out of 24 ottos. Just cleaned out sump and found a few baby platys to.

Over next few months will play with dosing and see if I can observe any changes while working on aquascape. Going to up K moving forward into 20ppm range from current 14.45. Will stay with micro dose shown above and try adding other traces later on.

Another fun experiment would be trying all 8 bulbs, dose excel, grow everything faster.

There was alot of lingering spot algae on the glass that i finally took care of with a credit card scraping. Stuff would not go away on its own and was hesitant to go scraping away on expensive aquarium. I am getting a green slime type of algae lately rite in the front between glass and substrate but its real easy to remove.

Lobelia Cardinalis is filling in and can see Wisteria growing quickly showing some ferny leaves.

20180417_181053.jpg 20180417_181121.jpg

burr740, Phishless and Greggz like this.
  12. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Update

Have not done a water change since 4-25, got a little BGA you can see but only grows on the front side near glass. Also, a little BBA in some spots. Thats longest Ive let tank go not changing water since setup. I noticed today ph down to 5.63 with CO2 on. BGA is annoying, its easy to remove but 3 days later start seeing it again. I wonder if I can kill it if start using excel again.

I rearranged a few things since last update.

- replanted tops of mini limno aromatica
    - hacked down middle plants pogo stellatus, ludwigia red, replanted tops of ammania ped.
    - redid foreground

Wisteria converted nice and ferny growing quickly now.

20180504_181049.jpg 20180504_181315.jpg

13. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks great ;)

msb likes this.
  14. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Tim,

Update

I got some new bulbs, going to run another 4 for 6 hours of the photoperiod. Plants are pearling all throughout the tank now.

Did a little maintenance and 50% water change but the green slime algae is already building up (BGA). Rotala Macranda got tops replanted and seems in better shape now. Plants with ugly bottoms, losing color on the bottom tell me they want more light. :D and now they are getting it. I have another 500ml bottle of excel on the way, so hopefully this has an effect on the BGA and prevent other algae types taking hold while we play with very high light.

Lobelia Cardinalis seems to be having the most trouble rite now. There are 3 algae types messing with them rite now, spot algae, little bba, and green slime creeps on them. They are not at the point of no return but need to help them some how. I have the right side packed out now with green rotala and wisteria slowing down the current that normally wreaks havoc over there so there could be a flow/co2 issue on the Lobelia side. Everything else is algae free besides a little on Ammania ped. and Persicaria.

I will remove Limno aromatic and put rotala in that spot as mentioned awhile back and have wisteria front to back on the right side glass, so that will help get high flow around the corner again.

Also, have ludwigia red and persicaria running into each other (two reds) that I need to break up. Think, I will use a few pennywort stems in between.

I have about 15-20 stems of Rotala Enie now on the back left side that will look nice after grows a few inches taller.

20180507_190843.jpg 20180508_185426.jpg

burr740, toads74, Greggz and 4 others like this.
  15. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    A pretrim mess. Things go downhill fast but......

The extra light or excel dosing or both have brought out the colors and just being able to grow some plants. Ammania Ped., Rotala Mac. were going downhill but are now back bright yellow and red. Pogo Kimberly grew out finally top to bottom huge tops and colorful.

I have Rotala Mini Butterfly and Acmella repens. I got the rotala as 4 stems, split them into 7 of almost nothing and already have about x20 mass. I havnt trimmed yet, but there is like 20 side shoots.

Pre-trim was a mess but Ive been working so much and neglecting the tank. Neglecting was easy as I had it trimmed down nicely only a week ago or maybe was 10 days since last water change and trim.

BGA is my main problem in there lately. Ive read that its low flow and or low nitrate issue. I will up nitrate same dose 3 times a week and keep rest same.

I will get post trim pic up later this evening. Cleaned out the BGA, and you can see all groupings but waiting for lights to come on. On vacation for next 20 days so I plan twice week water changes/maintenance days.

20180530_164409.jpg

16. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    BGA is a real nuisance. I just did another water change and trimmed a little yesterday. Its mostly in the front glass so having to jam syphon vac all along the front. Leaving the front inch or two is substrate empty makes it easier to deal with. I think it is a low flow issue.

20180603_205417.jpg

burr740, Greggz and Phishless like this.
  17. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Everything trimmed down nicely now. Persicaria seemed like an eye sore where it was so pulled and used tops for a foreground plant.

I put alot of work into the Lobelia Cardinalis in last few months having to clean it by spot dosing H2O2, spreading it out, etc. I think I can do somethin better in its place though. A low grass like UG would look cool there and keep the Lobelia behind that.
    Cant think of much to do for the scape besides a redo in the Lobelia area.

Later on Im thinking id toss some plants mainly Ludwigia red and others ive had in same spot for a long time and try some new ones to get a new look for the tank overall going.

We went to Petsmart today for a few things and wanted to get a female betta in but wife insisted on a pretty blue male :confused:. Poor guy could not even swim in the current in there and got attacked by the tetras immediately. He spent about a minute in there before I put him in the cube tank. I want a bigger school of Serpae Tetras but waiting for them go go on sale at Petsmart. Went to a local pet store and not wanting to risk having fish that are gonna get bullied I wound up getting 4 small plecos and a ram cichlid. Plecos didnt take long to acclimate but the cichlid was scared all day staying on the bottom and then to a corner.

20180606_132211.jpg 20180607_224955.jpg

#57 msb, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  18. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thinking about playing with bulb arrangements again. I like how more light has made the plants look but wonder if the tank overall could have a nicer look. I have extras on hand including blues that previous owner of the fixture had over a salt water tank. I think I had read somethin awhile back about keeping some blue in the back row. Id take reccomondations on bulb arrangements or anything else for that matter.

Trimmed again abit the other day and just hacked down the wisteria. I love the unique shape of the wisteria and think would look cool somewhere in the middle but it grows so fast and seems easier contained on the side.

Have some downoi on the way and going to just pull out the lobelia thats in the very front and have the downoi in front of rest of lobelia and other plants all the way to the left side.

Also, thinking about pulling the rest of rotala "green" and having rotala enie on the glass and having more room for Macranda. Its funny there is a thread about Rotala Macranda losing color going rite now and ive had the same issue. Ive had the Macranda go from very nice red when I got it to a fugly green patchy color and then back to nice red and now it seems losing color again all in the span of a few weeks.

Three variables were mentioned in that thread.
    - amount of light it was getting
    - CO2 and flow
    - non chelated traces

I have it rite now being squeezed by plants next to it being shaded and blocking flow :rolleyes: but also have only used my flourish trace sparingly lately and have just ran out of it.

Other issues

- Ludwigia sp. red sometimes has droopy leaves, but still beautiful color unless I do a big trim on it exposing lower leaves.

- Rotala Enie is a very reactive plant and very nice I highly reccommend it. It will change color very fast, I think it is iron dosing. I have a window rite next to the tank (north facing) and with just a little bit of ambient light all the stems will be poking that way.

- Ammania Ped. is now a nice bright yellow top to bottom, no twisting but it has black spotting on the lower halves. I cant tell if its algae, I need better eyes. Its not any type of hair algae.

20180612_164030.jpg 20180612_164118.jpg

#58 msb, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. mike0825

mike0825 New Member

Local Time:
    4:04 AM
    I added new media, rinsed out the sump sponge block, vaccummed gunk, and moved the bio media to the middle chamber.

20. viclynsmastiff

viclynsmastiff Junior Poster

Local Time:
    That is bad ass

Tags: