This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

80 Gallons Of Despair.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Wobblebonk, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    8:59 PM
    This is a placeholder because I can't post image links and I think the secret is I have to start 2 new threads not make 2 posts, even though the counter goes up as it says I can't make posts. I blame phishless.

I was wrong that was not the secret I still can't post image links :(

So I'm able to link images now but this will have to wait until a bit later tonight to update it...

Alright so... this tank has been running for about 2 months at this point. Stocking is just shrimp and pest snails right now. I didn't sterilize a damn thing before putting it in here. Shrimp are wild type red tiger shrimp, caradinia babaulti (zebra striped? some of them have stripes and some of them look like little turds), and blue diamond neocaradinia.

It's a deep blue 80g edge frag tank, 48"x24"x16"
    over a $ per gallon 40breeder that I have turned into a makeshift sump.

This was 2 months ago (5/4/18).
    [​IMG]
    Nice stand eh?
    This was a week or so later. No co2 yet.
    [​IMG]

This is how the ludwigia white looked when I got it from the LFS...
    [​IMG]

For the first month there were 2 orphek or120 bar leds. This made about 90 par at the substrate directly under the front light (around 18"). I never really recorded that many readings for this tank because I've been lazy about getting my laptop screen fixed and with the seneye it was just a pain having to use a monitor etc.

This is about a month after it was setup. At this point I've decided the 2 bars don't have a good enough spread of light around the overflow. co2 is producing a 1.3-1.4ph drop now. Also the ludwigia white needs more... imo even though I've never grown it before. I don't have exact numbers for you on ferts but lets just say it's been way below EI levels.
    [​IMG]
    After this I moved the 2 orpheks up (I've wired them to a meanwell driver that is dimmable by now.) and hung a fluence ray(bml "tomato" light :/) across the back that was running fairly low.

Originally the light schedule was shorter but I've bumped it up to 3 to midnight now so, however lights are very dim at the start of that period and the ramp timer is 90 minutes on either side. I guess the day period is technically 4 hours though much of the ramp time is pretty damn bright too.
    I should probably make a chart...

So the fluence was just temporary and I had been working on some diy lights for a little bit... these have been hanging about a week. However I discovered a bug with the hurricanex at this point that it doesn't update channels 8->16 pwm levels properly except through the actual sunrise and sunset periods. I've been down a rabithole for a week now trying to update the firmware but it's finicky and I just don't have a computer that can talk to the device apparently. I wasted way too much time adding features and then doing crazy stuff to get the compiled size to under 30700 bytes. C'est la vie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hah so I also got around to taking some par measurements... not with everything at full yet, though the numbers would be stupid. Right now with the orpheks going to 40% (on a meanwell hlg so really like 40% out of 50-100%) and the diy lights at an actual 30-50% of half their rated current... par is about 130 at the substrate in both places I was actually able to get the seneye down there... 150-160 on top of the red rocks at the front right, and 300+ at the tops of the ar lilacina in the back right. Maybe I'm pushing my luck here, it's a wonder I don't have more algae. I'll probably tone it down a little... I've been bumping the red a bit but that channel is obnoxiously high par/pur vs lumens. I've upped the ferts a bit, co2 drop still 1.3-1.4. I trim plants and replant almost every day in this tank though not that much at a time.

#1 Wobblebonk, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My fault? :D

Many are traveling here of there own free will, and a broken TPT & APC. o_O
    How many will stay around? :rolleyes:

3. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    Your fault that I'm trying to post images at all right now.o_O

There must be some kind of time component to not being allowed to link images?

Greggz and Phishless like this.
  4. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    7:59 PM
    I'm new, too, and it was the problems at TPT & APC that helped me discover this site. Very happy to find yet another source of knowledgeable people!

That said, what's up with your tank? Why the title?

5. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    At the time despair over my inability to link external images but despair that:

I'm trying to reprogram my hurricanex and am having problems with updating the firmware, apparently it works on 2 of 16 of their computers with no real specifics on what I need to do to get it working. I've spent a lot of time playing memory games to get it small enough to load and I just can't write to it.
    That my red tigers aren't breeding prolifically yet...
    That someone might ask me about my dosing and I'll have to reveal my ridiculous guestimative index lean dosing and just how much I've no idea what I'm doing.
    That I've got to replace my laptop screen so I can measure exactly how intense the light I'm putting out is at... Or even just how strong my diy lights are at all.
    That my ideal metering valve loosens an extra approximately 10cc/min of co2 every time it turns on (maybe taping it will be enough to fix this.)
    That I built the back right hill with bags of pumice and lava rock but ran out and have 1 bag of crushed coral at the bottom, and that it's affecting the water a lot more than I'd hoped.

6. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The crushed coral is not related to despair.o_O
    Can you remove it?

7. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    What were you hoping for with the coral? Was it just to support the hill and now your pH hiked? Yikes! Despair!

#7 Fisherking, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    Yeah it's underneath inches of substrate a bag of lava rock and hard scape so it will be a pain to remove and I don't want to disturb some of the tissue culture plants above it yet. But it's driving the pH up, I've tried adding some peat moss in a bag to the sump but apparently not enough and I don't really want to have to keep up on that to keep things stable either. The shrimp are fine so far but I'm sure the red tigers would prefer a little softer water and maybe some of the plants but so far they're doing pretty well.

9. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    So this is kind of off on a tangent but I started attacking this mess...

[​IMG]
    and so far I only removed the star grass and attacked the hell out of the right side and wound up with this...
    [​IMG]
    I also actually saved the star grass, might start a shrimp tank with just blyxa and star grass but not sure...

Also this is one tornado plant heh.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaves this tank looking like this for now... gotta replant the left half tomorrow... I was never going to be able to catch any of the tetras out before to sell them as it was before anyhow. There's a baby shown at one point but he's all close to the glass looking just as big as the others because they're all further back.

then this arrived completely unannounced on friday (they never even told me it shipped... order still shows unfulfilled)
    [​IMG]

this chunk of rhizome was just at the bottom of one of the homalomena pots...
    [​IMG]

but the righthand homalomena humilis here also arrived just like that at the bottom of the pot.
    [​IMG]

and it looks something like this now :/ a lot of the front is basically grow out while other things are still carpeting. The microsword was just given to me from leftovers from the local apa, I don't know if it will stay at all...

and I traded some cpds for these but they're in quarantine and I'm not certain what tank to put them in just yet.
    [​IMG]

#9 Wobblebonk, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Greggz and burr740 like this.
  10. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Nice!!

Did you toss that tornado?? Next time let me know I'll buy it or we can trade something

Phishless likes this.
  11. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    I decided that one wasn't good enough to keep... though there were probably a number of decent stems that could have been used. There is still a ton on the left that I haven't trimmed / replanted yet if you want some, I've also got maybe some better stems of it in 2 other tanks I'd have to compare to be sure.

Your for sale thread looks mostly sold out but I'd trade for some gratiola viscidula.

12. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Sounds good! Sending PM

13. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Save me some of that tornado.
    My 5 little stems are lonely.

14. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    Sure, I can do that

15. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    Not exactly a tank update but I've been working on this... just stepping through 4 time periods (officially only has day/night settings). I was struggling a little bit to hold my phone & spin the rotary knob...
    Just a little more debugging to go.

Maybe will be working on an unreleased project as well...

16. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    So might as well split this between 2 different journals and make things as confusing as possible! So I got new batteries for a DSLR and I am failing badly at some exposure settings but ... oh well I'll figure it out.

So these are from before I did anything after returning from Vegas... hah exposure problems sigh. Next time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How I managed to get the opposite ends of exposure problems here I have no idea but... I mostly did maintenance/moving things around on the front half of the tank today. Removed the micro sword, (I never intended to put it in here just was a freebie from the local apa,) the banana plant (I'm pretty sure that's what it was anyhow?), and one of the 2 hair grasses. Moved most of the stuff growing out on the right to the middle and tried to contain the river buttercup to the right corner for the moment.
    [​IMG]
    those are tiny bucephelandra chunks... and some unknown tiny stem on the right that I'm trying to propagate more of. can make out a baby shrimp in the bottom left corner, actually they're everywhere but I don't have a macro lens at this point.
    [​IMG]
    Here is more of that tiny stem... can anyone id? actually this picture is blurry :( I'll try to take a better one tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I should use video but there's baby shrimp everywhere... most of the dark smudges are out of focus baby shrimp. There are 3 more right behind the one that's actually in focus.
    [​IMG]
    Also added 10 of these little guys. I couldn't think of anything else besides these (pygmy corydoras) or otos that are "shrimp safe" but there's tons of little bitty copepods for them to eat, maybe I'll add some otos too. Does anyone have fish suggestions? Chili rasboras maybe? I just don't know...
    [​IMG]

Which leaves the tank looking like this for now... ignore the not yet sinking catappa leaf...
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get to the back half tomorrow, also working on several other tanks at the same time :/ also gotta get back to debugging hurricanex updates/bug fixes.

Greggz and Phishless like this.
Tags: