This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

75g "Dutch" Weed Farm

Discussion in 'Journals' started by slipfinger, Jun 27, 2017.

1. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Back from my ten day vacation. It's nice to be home but it also means back to reality and work!

Just a quick photo of the tank exactly as it looked when I turned the light on today. Remember tank had no maintenance or dosing while I was away. Co2 remained the same, only two lights came on for six hours a day.

I will do a full update later tonight, nothing really exciting but a few obvious standouts. Main standout, not a hint of algae other then a little dust on the front glass, which is normal.

No surprise here, but low light plus low nutrients = less stress and worry.

The tank today

[​IMG]

Before I left

[​IMG]

#41 slipfinger, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Phishless, burr740, toads74 and 3 others like this.
  2. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Tank Update

I can honestly say I was not at all surprised with the condition of the tank and what I found after ten days of being left on its own. More experienced growers has said it multiple times, low light + low nutrients = less work and a less issues. But what fun is that?

Before I left I knew Co2 would not be an issue and the ADA AS would have enough reserves for ten days, specially with the lower light. But I questioned how plants like Pantanal would fair and if AR varigated/mini would look better with low ferts.

[​IMG]

Pantanal, I figured it would react in some way, and I was right. But surprised with the one stem that shot for the moon, while the rest looked spindly or had stunted tips. Of course they have lost some colour. From journals I've read, this is normal under low light and low nutrient conditions.

[​IMG]

One stem of AR variegated is still going strong and the rest well........ they are there. The AR mini that I removed all the deformed leaves from, for the most part are growing fairly straight and flat. But the ones I have not trimmed are not doing much at all. Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf' and Hygrophila 'araguaia' are looking good and are both ready for a thinning. Anyone know the name of the plant right behind the AR variegated?

[​IMG]

Hygrophila corymbosa is showing very little if any signs of defiances, unlike just before I left. This alone makes me question why I want to drive this tank in the fast lane. Maybe I should operated the tank like I'm on a Sunday cruise with the top down!

Sorry for the washed out photos. I do no editing at all, straight from iphone to this journal.

Random pics of the tank.

Left Side
    [​IMG]

Tissue cultures of Pogostemon erectus are not complaining at all. Blyxa needs to be thinned out. Sold a few Pogostemon helferi just before I left, thats why the open space.

Center
    [​IMG]

I was amazed at the growth of the Mermaid weed, cant wait for this to colour up. My little plot of 'wallichii' beside the Mermaid Weed has not done much at all, I was hoping for more. These were all small unstunted stems I trimmed off the ugly bunch I throw away a couple weeks ago. Couple have even stunted despite no added nutrients and lower lighting.

Right Side
    [​IMG]

Cabomba 'purple' really coloured up. I will be interested to see this plant under high light and high nutrients. As mentioned already Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf' and Hygrophila 'araguaia' are doing great. I think they look good beside each other and I actually like the look of this side of the tank the best, good combination of colour and texture.

I'm glad I'm home and I have already turned the tank up to 100%, don't know why. Someone needs to slap me silly and knock some sense into me. I look forward to working on my new project in the coming weeks, two 40 gallon grow tanks. I will start a journal on this project in the near future.
    Thanks again for following along.

Pikez, Christophe, Jason and 4 others like this.
  3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

lookin' good!

4. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Tank is beautiful.
    Look forward to seeing the two 40s

DutchMuch likes this.
  5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Same, this is a pretty intense wait...!

6. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I was finally able to get my hands on a par meter. Can't say I am surprised by the numbers near the bottom of the tank with all six bulbs blazing, which I run daily for 4 hours. Its an eye opener though as you raise it closer to the surface and it gets into the mid to high 500's.

I am going take some reading over the week end with different bulbs, and different fixture heights. I'll post my readings for future reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

burr740, DutchMuch and Dale Hazey like this.
  7. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Turn down the flux capacitor. 167 at substrate is asking for it.

Dale Hazey likes this.
  8. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Just living life in the fast lane @Pikez.

I thought things would have imploded by now running all six bulbs, but I guess only having that par for fours hours out of my eight hour photoperiod evened things out a little. Par for the other four hours is 76 in the same spot.

I will be able to really mess around with intensity levels now. I ordered a couple of wire hanging kits for my fixture and spent an hour this morning installing everything. I'm super happy with how clean it looks now, never mind how nice it will be to be able to raise the fixture up and out of the way when it comes time to messing around inside the tank. Before when the fixture was sitting on the tank I had limited access to really play around in the tank. I'm blaming the old setup on my poor scaping skills, we'll soon see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jason, LRJ, Dale Hazey and 2 others like this.
  9. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Yea man I agree I mean, this tank is just.. .Horrible to say the least im astonished you haven't died from looking at it yet, 4 realz

jk

I cannot believe how much this tank has grown since the first post of it. Craaazy. !

Dale Hazey likes this.
  10. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Lolz Dutchmuch

Tank looks amazing slip

DutchMuch likes this.
  11. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, OK. That should work nicely. If things start to go sideways, reduce the MAX PAR period down to 2 or 3 hours.

I've considered setting my controller to retina-burn PAR for one hour in the middle of the day. But thankfully, I don't know how to program the controller. My ignorance acts as my guard rail. :)

12. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Update

What a treat todays maintenance was without the bloody fixture in way, having front, side and top views to plant makes a such huge difference. I took the opportunity to remove all the plants from the right 1/3 of the tank and deep vacuum the soil. I reduced the amount of plant material in the area and gave every one a little more elbow room.

Once the Pogostemon erectus grows out more I well move somewhere towards the middle/back of the tank. Anyone have any ideas? I am slowly but surely building up my stock of Pantanal stems. Can't wait to have enough to actually plant a larger group of it. If anyone has a secret to get Limnophillia aromatica to grow straight let me know. I love the plant but it is all over the damn place, tank current doesn't help much. The regular AR is still looking descent, little bit of GSA on the older leaves but, leaves are still straight and flat.

[​IMG]

I still need to work on the middle and right side, which really needs things moved around and thinned out.

[​IMG]

I decided to add 4ppm MgSO4 today with my water change, just because. Figured I'd add some after water changes for a few weeks to see what it does if anything. I have never added Mg or Ca after water changes, with my tap water I figured I didn't need it. Might start messing around with adding both in the coming weeks, can't hurt.

Im currently dosing .1ppm Fe DTPA and .5ppm Mn along with 20 ml of Flourish Trace 3 days a week and 1/2tsp (7.3ppm) KNO3 and 1/4 (3.4ppm) KH2PO4 on the other days.

I started dosing an extra .1ppm Fe DTPA earlier this week to see if it would help with my Pogostemon helferi which seems to be showing a deficiency in only a few of the plants. The white centres of a few of the plants is in the pictures above, is not the lighting. The plants center is actually white.

Anyone experience this before or have any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the FTS. Position of new light makes it harder to take quick and easy pictures without reflections.

[​IMG]

burr740, Jason, Phishless and 2 others like this.
  13. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

May I ask what type of light that is?

14. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

It's a Sunlight Supply Tek Light. They no longer make aquarium specific fixtures. But they are basically the same as their current hydroponic fixtures minus the splash guard, which I don't have anyways because the guy I bought if off broke it taking out of his car the day I purchased the fixture off him.

DutchMuch likes this.
  15. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I mentioned above that some of the newest growth on P. helferi is coming in white. Unless I have discovered a new rare species which I will name, Pogostemon helferi 'white', I believe I have a new deficiency in the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a little searching on the line and read many difference reasons why new growth is coming in white.
    • Low Iron
    • Low N
    • Low P
    • Low K
    • Low Mg
    • Low Ca
    • Low Micro's
    • Low Light
    • Low Co2
    So, what can I conclude from this little research project? Short answer, my tank is doomed!

All joking a side, I'd like to get to the bottom of this little mystery.

My current dosing.

Macros x 3 days
    7.5ppm KNO3
    3.4ppm KH4PO4
    I do not add extra K
    6ppm MgSO4 (for the first time after my last water change Aug.13. Tap has ~9ppm)

Micros x 3 days
    .2ppm Fe DTPA (Started adding an extra .1ppm Aug 7th)
    .05ppm Mn

20ml of Flourish Trace (Which Rotala Butterfly says adds)
    Mn 0.005988
    B 0.001972
    Co 0.000021
    Cu 0.002254
    Mo 0.000211
    Ni 0.000002
    Zn 0.011905
    Rb 0.000006
    V 0.000001

Co2 - ~1.4/5 point drop
    Light - Blinding, see my above par readings at the sub.

On paper everything looks to be in order except for a couple trace elements being on the low side of EI levels. This being B and Mo. I could also be low in Ca, I do not add any extra as my tap says it has ~35ppm.

Could this simply be a delayed reaction to no dosing for 10 days while I was on vacation?

Anyone have an ideas?

#55 slipfinger, Aug 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM
  16. rajkm

rajkm Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I would wait it out for a few days before making changes.
    I can say that Pogo likes K and you can probably use some more traces.

17. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Not really related to this journal but here's a sneak peek at my current project.

First of two 40 gallon breeder grow out/experimental tanks on a Lowes shelving unit. The lower tank has ADA AS. I'm still undecided on the sub for the upper tank. I'm considering going inert like PFS so I can experiment a little. I still have a couple 9L bags of AS so still might go that direction as well. Both tanks will have identical Co2 systems, quad T5HO fixtures with the ability to run only two bulbs or all four, Marineland 220 filter and a hydro Koralia 425 for circulation. Basically I am trying to keep everything equal, for the sake of experimenting. I still have a bunch of stuff to do before I add water, including purchase the second tank. I'll start a journal once I have everything completely setup and running.

[​IMG]

#57 slipfinger, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    Dale Hazey, Jason and DutchMuch like this.
  18. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I'm leaning towards a delayed reaction to no dosing for 10 days. The plan is to stay the course and see what happens.

I've had Pogo in the tank since day one and I have never dosed any extra K other then what comes from KNO3 and KH2PO4. This is the first time I've seen it do this.

19. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Since I have to return the par meter this weekend I figured I better take a few measurements for future reference. The higher number is of course with all 6 bulbs on. The lower number is with just 2 bulbs on, that being the front 6400K Sunblaster and back Giesemann AquaFlora. *I will update with the exact height the fixture sits off the top of the tank.

Picture for reference.
    [​IMG]

Bulbs:
    From front to back
    1. 6400K Sunblaster
    2. Zoo Med Flora Sun
    3. 6400K Sunblaster
    4. 6400K Sunblaster
    5. ATI Blue Plus ?
    6. Giesemann AquaFlora

[​IMG]

Side view for front to back reference. To be expected the layout of the bulbs effects the par readings. For example I am getting higher readings at the front of the tank compared to the rear of the tank due to having 2 - 6500K bulbs in the front half of the fixture.

[​IMG]

snarkingturtle and DutchMuch like this.
  20. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Thanks for posting about your lights! I need that help and info!