This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

75g "Dutch" Weed Farm

Discussion in 'Journals' started by slipfinger, Jun 27, 2017.

1. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Two posts in one day. Crazy I know, but I figure this little tidbit of information was post worthy.

So I'm sitting looking at my tank and happen to glance over at my micro solution and a light bulb goes off in my head or something like that. I only have four days left until this first two week trial is over but I have more than half a 500ml bottle of solution left. What the hell!

Then it dawns on me, I based my calculation on dosing micros very day for the two week period! (500ml / 14 days)

So in short, I've been dosing half as much as I should have been since I am dosing micros every other day. This means I am currently dosing .05ppm Fe and .025ppm Mn instead of my original plan of .1 Fe and .05 Mn.

I'm going to stick it out for the last few days then up my rates to my planned dosage.

Wondering if this is what the Bacopa was/is trying to tell me........

#21 slipfinger, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Lookin' Good :D

3. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Water change, maintenance day.

Moved a few things around and tried to add a little more space between 'groupings'. Still not really focusing on scaping. I'm waiting until I get my 40B's set up so I can move the extra plants over to these tanks. I have major issues with throwing out plant material....

Pulled and cleanup all the AR mini and AR variegated, removing most of the crappy deformed leaves, and stunted growth.

Definitely seeing improvements but not sure if its due to the new micro dosing, or the unplanned mini detox that has been 'kinda' going on for almost 3 weeks now. The week leading up to my new micro routine I dosed little to no micros at all. Add this, plus my screw up of only adding .05ppm Fe DTPA and .025ppm Mn for the last two week instead of the planned .1ppm Fe and .5ppm Mn, the tank has been pretty lean on Fe and Mn.

Starting tomorrow we go back to the original plan of dosing .1ppm Fe and .05ppm Mn for 2 weeks.

Other Thoughts:

Wallichii is really not doing any better. I tried to spread them out a little to get more flow around them, but not thinking that is going to do much as the plants are already blowing sideways. What I find strange is that a few stem are doing ok and ones right beside them are stunted. If it was a deficiency wouldn't all the tips be effected?? Perhaps my Co2 is an issue? Just before Co2 comes on I am sitting around ~7.4 it drops to 6.3 just as the lights come on. Then for the most part drops and stays around 6.2 for the rest of the photo period, but I've seen it drop as low as 6.1.

Pantanal certainly is not shy about complaining. One stem tip has already stunted and its only been in the tank three full days. I know I was in for a battle by adding this plant to the tank but had the opportunity to get my hands on some and took it. There are still about 4 other side shoots that are still doing great. When would be the best time to remove side shoots and replant?

I'm considering adding Ca and Mg to the tank after water changes, only to eliminate any chance of a deficiencies that might be present. My water report says I have 34.9ppm Ca and 9ppm Mg which seems to be enough, but would it really hurt to give it a try?

Don't think I should be calling this Dutch at all, maybe Jungle style would better describe the look.

FTS

Cleaned up Mini and Variegated AR. My tissue culture of Hygrophila 'araguaia' is growing nicely.

Pantanal, stunted tip but the other ones looking good so far......... Fingers Crossed!

#23 slipfinger, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Jason, burr740, Andy Taylor and 3 others like this.
  4. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

One thing that I love and hate about this hobby is how quickly things can change and how you never stop learning.

Limnophila sessiliflora

Everyone has grown this plant at some point, it grows like a weed in my tank. I've grown it multiple times. I keep trying to rid the tank of it but every time I do a trade with someone they think they are doing me a favour and add a few clippings of this stuff. Up until this point I didn't think anything made this plant unhappy, it seems to grow in any conditions. But low and behold, I come home from work today to find a couple tops pouting and dropping. This top is probably 10" away from my light so for 4 hours a day it is getting blasted with six T5HO bulbs. I have no clue if its telling me its getting burned to death or something else is going on, melting maybe?

Anyone experience this before or seen this plant act like this before?

I'm going to leave it for tonight and see what it looks like tomorrow just before lights come on. If it has improved with the lights out I'm going to top it and replant back near the substrate, get it away from the high light.

Semi top view

Side view

5. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Quick update.

I cut the top 4" of the Limnophila sessiliflora today and replanted just to see what would happen..... Within 20 minutes it looked completely normal. Too much light? To much flow?

Another plant giving fits is Bacopa. Never seen it stunt in my tank before. No clue what it's telling me, but we'll ride it out and see what comes of it.

I'm not going to send invitations to the party just yet, but Pantanal looks to be un-stunting. Damn this plants mood changes by the minute.

6. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Quick update.

[​IMG]

Removed a few things and did a little trimming. Tried my hand at some streets, still have random plants here and there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AR looking a lot better, even some of the Variegated is straightening out.

[​IMG]

My original one and a half stems of Pantanal has already turned into four stems. The picture does not do the colour justice. They seem a lot greener in the picture compared to what they look like in the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hygrophila corymbosa showing some sign of deficiency, anyone have any ideas?

Macros
    Kno3 = 1/2tsp 7.3ppm
    Kh2Po4 = 1/4tsp 3.4ppm
    K2So4 = 3/4tsp 7.5ppm

Micros
    .1ppm DTPA Fe
    .05ppm Mn
    Rest for tap water

#26 slipfinger, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    DutchMuch likes this.
  7. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

@slipfinger, you tank makes me say "I cant wait tell I get mine up" lol!

8. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

@slipfinger what do you have in the back left corner?

9. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Those white specs are a micro deficiency, 100%. Although Im not sure which one specifically.

Unless you are positive your tap has adequate amounts of B, Zn, Mo and Cu, you are going to have issues by not dosing them.

You could try using Flourish Trace according to the directions. It has all the non-Fe micro nutrients in non-chelated form (edta free). 500 ml would last you about 15 weeks if you just followed the directions. Of course you may need more than that, hard to say

Or, if you want to try making your own I can send you plenty of the 4 other compounds you'd need besides Fe and Mn. Fair warning; you'll also need some decent milligram scales. :)

I can also make you a batch of what Im using if you want to try that. Its the same stuff thats in Flourish liquids, just different amounts of everything. It'll be all in one bag, dry, you supply the water.

If you're interested in either one just shoot me a PM

10. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

It's either Pygmy Chain Sword or some sort of Sagittaria. I bought a few over a year ago and stuck them in my daughters Molly tank. Cleaned it out a month or so back and throw a couple plants in the big tank and this is what has resulted.

I'm never 100% positive about anything in the hobby.......

As for the micro levels I went by my local water report and also a recommendation by Pikez. Numbers 'looked descent' to me. I figured might as well give it a try and see what happens. I'm sure I'm bottoming out on some elements, specially if I only get in one water change that week.

Last week I did two water changes and never noticed this. This week only one, which was last Saturday. Throwing swords blindfolded here.
    • Cu - 0.008 ppm
    • Mg - 8.99 ppm
    • Zn - 0.0028 ppm
    • Mo - 0.0013 ppm
    • B - 0.023 ppm
    I'll grab some Flourish Trace for the short term, but just pouring a premixed store bought liquid out of a bottle takes the mad scientist effect out of the hobby for me. I love sitting down with my bags of powder, my little scale and of course my googles and mixing up some crazy concoctions.

I've been looking to purchase each element but always end up scratching my head on what I would do with a lb of each one. I have what seems to be a pretty accurate milligram scale I purchased off Amazon, should do the trick.

Thank-you for the offer Burr, I will Pm you to work out the details.

#30 slipfinger, Jul 22, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    DutchMuch likes this.
  11. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

[​IMG]

I laughed so hard reading that because it was the first thing I saw lol! :D:D:D

12. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Pikez was right, all those levels should be plenty. Assuming a) the report is still an accurate account of what's in there today, seasons change, etc, and b) those elements exist in a state that is available to plants.

Right about here is about where my understanding of chemistry ends, so Im not sure what the odds of the latter is. I do know there can be Fe present which shows up on a test but isnt available to plants.

13. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I went and grabbed some Flourish Trace today, to see if I can sort out this deficiency.

Of course I couldn't help myself and picked up some normal Alternanthera reineckii to see if I can stunt it. Also grabbed some Cabomba 'purple', another weed I didn't need but I'm hoping to have one of the 40's set up this week and need fast growers to fill it up with.

On another note, my needle valve on my reg (Fabco NV55) has been floating last couple of days. Yesterday, when I went to check on the tank I heard some major gurgling coming from my reactor. Looked at the Ph monitor and I was already down one full point and Co2 had only been on 20 minutes. This morning I go down and its been running about half hour and its dropped .1 point and I can actually count the bubbles going through the bubble counter.

I am now on the hunt for a reasonable priced metering valve. Looking for recommendations, I've read the metering valve post, but what are you guys using???

14. rajkm

rajkm Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

My favorite is Hoke Micro Mite and Swagelok SS series.