75g "Dutch" Weed Farm

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or have experience re-using old AS?

Man, moving the tanks is a real pain for me. I respect you for having the courage to do this with 2 tanks at the beginning of the year. Hope it goes well.

I would also mix old and new. What I did is put the old at the bottom and the new on the top. This way it is just like a normal AS tank with finer particles (from the old AS) trapped in the bottom part. Even with all old grains it does not create a heavy mess. Most of it settles easily and you can vacuum or catch in a fine filter floss.

I would however avoid putting any mosses at this stage as they catch the dust quite well .

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Tank is all set-up!

38800241704_ca1c7f28d5_c.jpg

Starting to clear up, I'll change the filter floss and add a couple of regenerated Purigen bags tomorrow.

39478148072_d0dd960121_c.jpg

I decided to use the old AS along with two new bags. I was going to rinse the old soil, but said screw it and just dumped the bucket in the tank. Still pretty dusty when you stir the sub, but over the next couple of weeks I will vacuum it every time I do water changes.

I was a little disappointed when I went to start replant and put my hand in the bucket and pulled out melted crowns of Helferi. Not a single stem made it, every melted to the stems.
It had been about 3 months since I separated the bunch and I figure there was probably close to 100 individual stems in this bunch. All gone!

24640900037_8b83fce412_c.jpg

I am glad it's basically all done. Honestly I wont be doing this again for a long long time.

I plan to take my time with the rimless project. After this week and the work involved, I'm currently in no rush what so ever to get it up and running. My original plan was to use some of the hardware from the 75 and use it on the rimless, but while I was setting up the 75 I decided to use all the original hardware and set it up as it was before. Over the next month I have to get my hands on a new filter (Hydor 600) and a new Co2 regulator, which I will custom build myself.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Been busy slowly reorganizing the basement after the hurricane went through. That would be me throwing anything that was in my way out into the main living area where my son spend half his day playing video games. Good news is I found him yesterday alive and well after being buried under a crap load of stuff for 3 days.....

Tank cleared up nicely, but the sub is dusty as hell. Even if I waved my hand over it, it would kick up dust. I did a water change yesterday and deep vacuumed about a 1/3rd of the tank. The area I vacuumed is now like new, I can stir it with my tweezers and not a speck of dust. Its a slow process and uses a ton of water (I use a Python) but needs to be done. I am planning to do the middle 1/3rd today when I do my water change.

38850351684_7302b9988c_c.jpg

I ended up throwing out/giving away a bunch of plants, good news one of my plant buddies hooked me up with a dozen or so helferi so I can start over again. Pantanal is already making a come back from being in a bucket for 2 days. You can see the curled and stunted leaves just below the nice new growth.

38850351644_37dac018e3_c.jpg

Finally the reason I did all this..............

38663145765_3410b4cdc1_c.jpg