This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by WRH, Feb 25, 2012.

1. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:44 AM
    Hello Tom Barr and Barr Report Forum Members,

I've just joined your forum and look forward to browsing, learning, watching, networking and of course, growing. First thing, I wanted to share a tank I have just taken a new update video of. This tank is about one year old now, and the goal setout was to have a lush planted tank with a large number of various species of actve and colourful fish. It may be far from wha has become popular in current aquarium aquascaping and plant keeping, but the intention was to do something simple without frequent need to maintain it.

:encouragement: Thanks to anyone that takes a few minutes to watch and then leave a comment as well as Like & Subscribe. I'll be happy to field any questions regarding the tank.

[video=youtube;ImaByoEo0yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaByoEo0yc[/video]

For anyone that want's to browse my other Aquarium & Instructional videos heres the link.

Thanks again,
    From Southern Ontario Canada,
    -GSP/WRH

2. Mark Lem

Mark Lem Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    nice setup

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    An easy plant that would add some different color other than the Ammannia would be either Ludwigia "red" or perunesis.

4. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    No way, the Tom Barr watched my video...

:applause: Thank you Mark and Tom!

Yes, the tank is fairly green dominated and the Ammania is only a recent addition to the tank. I have Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia palustris & Ludwigia arcuata on hand here, growing in my propagation tanks. So far I have only gotten them to colour up red/pink in the top few inches though. I fear they are likely to go green again if they are moved into this 75G tank.

Also, I'm not quite sure of where to put them. The only space to develop more is directly behind the Ammania (where there is some Hygrophila polysperma that could stay or go) and the space on the left front corner of the tank, between the Rotala rotundifolia and the Rubin Sword. The driftwood occupies the entire centre line of the tank from left to right, hiding behind the fence of crypts now grown monstrous. It shades much of the rear left corner of the tank too, were there is some Valisneria Spiralis and some large crypts growing hidden from site.

Are Ludwigia peruensis and Ludwigia grandulosa the same? :confused-new:

5. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nice tank!

What are your parameters?

Dosing?

Lighting?

CO2?

6. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    As requested:

75 Gallon ~48x18x21
    Custom DIY Stand/Canopy
    Hydor Substrate Heating System
    Hagen GLO 48" 2x54W T5HO (2x Coralife 6700K)
    Fluval FX5 Cannister Filter
    2x2L DIY CO2 Reactor w/ DIY Diffuser
    Digital Thermometer w/ probe
    Fluorite, Turface & Gravel Mix.

FISH
    Otocinclus catfish
    Siamese Algae Eaters
    Amano Shrimp
    Dr. Garra Rufa
    Denisons Roseline Barb
    Marble Hatchet Tetra
    Super Blue Kerri Tetras
    Rummy Nose Tetras
    Glowlight Tetras
    Hatchet Tetras
    White Cloud Minnows
    Golden White Clouds
    Dwarf Neon Rainbows
    Peppered Corydoras
    Dwarf Sparkling Gouramis
    Zebra Nerites Snail
    Assassin Snails
    Harlequin Rasbora

PLANTS
    Various cryptocorynes (wendtii tropica, wendtii green, aponogetafolia, balansae)
    Aponogeton Crispus
    Melon Sword
    Dwarf Sag Subulata
    Valisineria spiralis
    Valisineria spiralis sp. "TIGER"
    Java Moss
    Hygrophila polysperma
    Ammania Gracilis
    Java Fern
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Monoselenium tenerum (pellia)

Currently using Self mixed Dry Ferts:
    KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate
    KH2PO4 - Mono Potassium Phosphate
    Chelated Trace mineral mix

Most of the past year there was very little fertilizing being done, and half as much co2 injection, and long periods with none at all. We're back to more consistency on both now that the tank will be judge in an upcoming home show competition run by a local aquarium club.

7. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    This is for a different setup (6 x 20G long plant propagation shelf) but I thought i would just share the photo here. Damn buying 6 glass bubble counters is going to suck!

[attachment=1023:name]

dsc9930.jpg

8. xavier

xavier Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nice setup. Love the video!

9. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Xavier, Love the name!

10. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Well, I don't really feel a need to create a new thread to show my 20G long tank, but maybe if you are interested you would check out this video of it:

[video=youtube;kh9pNCz3taI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9pNCz3taI[/video]

I've had this 20g long going for a while, and let it become completely overgrown... how overgrown? Well I pulled out 24" stems of didiplis diandra, and three foot long stems of foxtail! Keep in mind that the tank is only 12" tall... It got to the point where the shaded plants suffered greatly. Also I pulled up all the HC carpet I had, seeded some propagator trays, and then replanted the tank back with the HC again! Now a month after pulling out so many plants i've got a nice little scape going and its beinning to fill out nice! (damn those giant baby tears are growing fast though).

11. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Feel free to critique. I know the backgound plants need to grow up some more. I recently hacked back the rotala in the back left, and only just put in the P.Palustris in the back middle, so thats gotta long ways to go. I'm havign trouble tamin the didiplis diandra, and also getting it to grow red before it reaches the surface. Is it not growing red because I am limiting Iron/trace perhaps?

12. vinlo

vinlo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nice tanks. Was wondering where in Southern ontario you are?

13. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
  14. vinlo

vinlo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I did hear about that auction (as well as the OVAS one 2 weeks ago). Unfortunately it's a little too far for me to go. Wish I could bid online for some plants.. always as I might be in need with my recent CO2 problems. You on the otherhand are right around the corner from that auction.

I checked out some of you tube vids, that is quite the setup there with 6 needle valves and those grow tanks or whatever you want to call them. You grow all that for your own use or for sale/trade?

15. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes i'll be taking most of what I've currently grown for auction. Then the rest will either go up for sale afterwards or just re-seed the tanks to grow out again.
    Where are you located?

16. vinlo

vinlo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am down in Windsor - ridiculously slim pickings for plants in these parts. Lots of cichlid and reef guys around. Virtually no planted folks around. Everything I have ever had has been from people in the hobby. Used to be slightly easier when I knew some guys in detroit.. but that was 5-6 years ago. I'll have to keep an eye out for what you have left - if anything. I was eyeing up that didilpis diandra, staurogyne repens, hc and whatever that stem is in the front left of your 75g.. heh.

17. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Sure, after I recover from the Auction, replant all the growtanks I'll let you know that have available. This auction should give me some better idea on pricing.

The stem you are looking at in the left front of the 75G is Rotala Rotundifolia. I just put a lot more of it in the 75G to fillout that left front area. Adapting well to the new environment.

18. vinlo

vinlo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yep, that's the one. I used to have that too.. lol. Keep me posted.

19. WRH

WRH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    New pic and video of the 20G long!

Sorry, the pics been adjusted too red, will fix that when I can.

[attachment=1035:name]

And now a video! Sorry my camera kinda sucks, not HD and the colours are so faded.

[video=youtube;SzwVt6Ixvrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwVt6Ixvrc[/video]

DSC_9991.jpg

20. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Very nice tank again! Love all of the pearling...