This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

75 gal

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Gerryd, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    Hey all,

Well, Tom kinda sorta mentioned that after the rescape and new ADA that my 220 cannot have fish/critters for several weeks. Since I only have a 57 gal to house the 300+ fish, and that tank already has 100+ fish in it, I need to do something else :) I can do large Rubbermaid containers with HOB filters and heaters, but I don't want that for 3-4 weeks perhaps. The cats would be in them constantly. No thanks :)

So, a nice footprint is the 75 gal version of the Deep blue rimless 57 gal I have just a foot longer. I like the 18" front to back depth as I have a king sized bed and a 24" tank is a tight squeeze! A 48" length x 20" high is a nice look... I don't want a 24" or higher depth, although that would provide up to 90 or 110 gallons....75 gals should be enough. I hated my 180 when trying to reach the back and had to use a stool. My arms are just a bit short for that....

I would put in my bedroom. I will use fluorite black sand for substrate and go for 25 micromoles of light at the substrate. I will use some of the extra lava Tom will send over...I may check out an LED fixture as I need only low light and I have no experience with LED as of yet.

I have a magnum 350 to run it as well as a couple smaller eheims in the closet (iirc). I will use crypts, anubias, and java ferns for most of the plant species. No heater but I have a hydor I can install easily if need be. I want the canisters as they will be very quiet..

Just need to determine when exactly Tom will do the rescape. If I am moving soon (beg of July perhaps), we will wait until after I move. I don't want to have to move a third tank if I can help it. I will wait and simply have it delivered to the new place.

I would like to have it running for 2-4 weeks prior to me needing it. I would seed with est media from other tanks and use some of the fish I already have to cycle it :) I will toss extra sponges in the existing tanks and then use these in the new tank to assist.

While this may not be ideal from a fish ratio/space POV, it will serve. I will be doing daily w/c on the big tank anyway, so will simply do daily on all 3 tanks, as the other 2 will be housing several hundred small fish all told.

Will keep you posted. I will do it as I want a non co2 tank anyway. After the fish are back in the 220, I will think about new fish for the non c02 tank. Perhaps I will do the firemouths I have always wanted.....Just 4-6 juvies max to hopefully get a breeding pair, then just keep the pair.

So, need to check with Henry on the tank and a LED fixture. Then find a stand I like too.

Will keep you all posted....

#1 Gerryd, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

Well Henry is due to deliver the tank and stand this morning....I can't wait. Henry says the tank is really nice w/o the center wier. I told him is why I got that model :)

Will be just like the 57gal only 12" longer at 48".

After he delivers, I will head down to the store to select the substrate (small or larger grain size) and an LED fixture or something for lighting.

Then back home to get it filled with water and running....

I will start dismantling the 220 scape then removing the manzy burls that are NOT buried :) These are well covered with moss and bacteria and will help mature the tank and help with aesthetics until Tom arrives lol I need to get some fish in there too to help with the maturation process....

So, pics later I expect.

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

Okay tank and stand were delivered this morning! I then nabbed 5 bags of the Mr. Aqua larger grain substrate. Comparable in size/shape to ADA. For lighting, I purchased two of the Mr. Aqua 18" 6500 LED fixtures. These will be at each end and stretch front to back. The manzy I selected comes out of the water and takes most of the center. This is a nice compromise for now. The fixtures light mostly the ends. You will see.

Henry and I got 50 micromoles at 15-18" away so this will be plenty. I may use floating plants. Henry will experiment splicing in a dimmer on one of these units. If successful, he will convert both of these..

The setup looks nice so far. I used a big lava rock to prop the manzy up the way it should be and looks better. Not the rock, but the orientation of the tree :)

Need to just fill up the magnum with filter media, fill the tank, and let her rip.

I nabbed two mats of java fern for this tank.

Should have it filled tomorrow if all goes well. Need to extend both my drain and fill flex tubing by another 15' lol

Later.

#3 Gerryd, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  4. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are you leaving the middle open? Curious to see how the lights look front to back. You're going to be limited in coverage.

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

Well here is a video showing the tank as is...

While poking around looking for flex hose earlier, I found a nice Victor/Ideal riq I purchased some months back and basically forgot about :) It was a good deal and I couldn't pass it up from a member here (Art). I have multiple DIY NW pumps and of course needed to plug it all in to see how it worked!

Used a fresh 5lb tank and got good pressure when opening the valve. The NV is an ideal with vernier just like I have. The solenoid has a nice amber light when on....

I did maybe 10-15 bps and got a nice mist immediately. Java fern was pearling 10 minutes later....

So, I may do this light c02 and low light at first while getting started, and then wean myself off the c02 by lowering it over time.

I stuffed the mag canister media basket with eheim media that was in the 220 sump for months. I also added a sponge from the same sump behind the wood. I used 3 manzy branches from the 220 that were well covered in moss and plants. I used more petite from the 220. Still tons of it left :)

I will xfer some fish from the 57 to this in the next day or so.

The wood is a single specimen. Henry refused to purchase it from me. I thought it too big but did not try it. Henry insisted I try it and it worked.

Well, here it is for better or worse.

[video=youtube;Tp6r_gs3sRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp6r_gs3sRE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Take care.

#5 Gerryd, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey,

I took 20 of the cardinals from the 57 gal and placed them in this tank just a bit ago. They seem fine so far.

After a week if no issue, I will add another 20. Then after 10 days another 20. This will help cycle this tank in prep for the 220 rescape. I need to stuff the 300 or so cardinals from the 220 in these 2 tanks for 4-6 weeks or so....

I also planted more a.petite and that now covers much of the substrate as the carpet plant. Remember this will be non c02 at some point so I want to stick with java and anubias. :) The wisteria I find will grow w/o c02...

Take care.

#6 Gerryd, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  7. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Think wisteria will grow in motor oil...:eek:

Those cardinals are very nice Gerry. You are supporting a small South American community buying all these tetras hehehe...:)