This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

70 Gallon Buce 2.0, the deed has been done(almost fully scaped on page 2)

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Tom Barr, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    3:24 PM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Withwater_zps3b8e18c4.jpg

I started trying to tie the plants, screw that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent a long time attaching the plants to the wood. I would have spent much longer if I'd used string. About 4 hours at least. I'll plant the Gloss and the White Anubias tomorrow night perhaps, then work on the emergent aspects thererafter.
    It looks pretty good and gives a very different feel than the past scapes I've done for myself, I've done somewhat similar things for clients, but not for myself and certainly not with Buce's, Riccardia and nice lawn foreground.
    I was pondering belem hair grass for the foreground again. It would do well and would contrast well with the Buce's. I'm going with Gloss 1st. Then see.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I spent more time than I might for most tanks since once this is done, I'll not need to do much labor to it thereafter.
    Trim the gloss once a month etc is mostly it, pick at things here and there.

3. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks interesting

Did you have to point your return towards the glass so you don't blow off the buces from the wood? I couldn't tell in that last picture the direction it was pointed.

4. ua hua

ua hua Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    You have way too many buces for that tank. Time to sell some. :encouragement: I'm looking forward to seeing this new version. What is the orange colored stuff that is one your substrate in the last couple of pictures?

5. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think that's the saw dust/wood chips from drilling ua hua

6. nicewicz

nicewicz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    That's going to look awesome. Minor point- but if you're trying to go after the dense ferns in the deep forest shade, I'd do the buce under the DW at the bottom of the hill and the glosso at the top. Sounds absurd from a traditional aquascaping standpoint, I know.

I'm sure you've been asked this, but is that an ADA aquarium? What about your farm tank?

- - - Updated - - -

That's going to look awesome. Minor point- but if you're trying to go after the dense ferns in the deep forest shade, I'd do the buce under the DW at the bottom of the hill and the glosso at the top. Sounds absurd from a traditional aquascaping standpoint, I know.

I'm sure you've been asked this, but is that an ADA aquarium? What about your farm tank?

7. denske

denske Member

Local Time:
    Gonna have any emersed growth on the top branches? Looks great

8. ua hua

ua hua Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    That sure is what it looks like huh. I guess it makes sense since he said screw tying all those plants and I can't say that I blame him. I wouldn't want to tie all those either.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, not done yet, doing things in several stages.

Gloss will go in tomorrow, and some more of the moss on the branches. I can use Xmas moss, or I can try Fissidens which does not work nearly as well, or perhaps the Riccardia which I have not tried before at the water interface.
    I would not add moss in the old design, but due to having gloss and the frequent mowing, should be okay I would think. Moss can infest foregrounds and get ratty looking if that happens, pest plant species are a PITA.
    The Riccardia is the "pest" species here, having another moss than Fissidens(which is bad enough) might not be an issue.

Once the roots grow out, it'll look pretty good.

Yes, sawdust from drilling, saved me a 3-4 hours and a lot of cussing.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    There are no ferns, just Buces, Gloss, Fissidens, likely Xmas moss for the emergent growth and then a foreground plant with a brighter green color. The focus is not Gloss, it's the Buce.

An ADA aquarium has a label on it that says ADA I suppose. This is a Leemar

What farm tank? I will add the Buces to my 180 Gallon by placing them in the thickets of Starougyne, without having to push them into the soil or disturb anything. I'll sell some and use the rest for various projects.
    I do the same for quite a few plants, eg, the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa stumps, they sprout and do very well, then I sell the nice tops from those or use them to expand a section etc.

11. nicewicz

nicewicz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Not if you peel the ADA label off!

The reason I ask is that I'd like to purchase a rimless aquarium the size of an ADA 180P next year, but I'm not sure I want to pony up over $4k for it. I love the quality of the ADA aquariums, but I wanted to hear what other alternatives are out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if you peel the ADA label off!

The reason I ask is that I'd like to purchase a rimless aquarium the size of an ADA 180P next year, but I'm not sure I want to pony up over $4k for it. I love the quality of the ADA aquariums, but I wanted to hear what other alternatives are out there.

12. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Given the seam issues with the ADA brand, I'd pass personally. Contact a local build. There's only one vendor for ADA and the 180 would be a special order.

You'd be looking at 3500-4000$ for a rimless 180 Gallon tank with starfire all 4 sides etc from most makers.

13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Given the seam issues with the ADA brand, I'd pass personally. Contact a local build. There's only one vendor for ADA and the 180 would be a special order.

You'd be looking at 3500-4000$ for a rimless 180 Gallon tank with starfire all 4 sides etc from most makers.

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Finished up the gloss and belem grass planting. Adding the moss later tonight and emergent stuff. I will decide on what I'm going to do to hide the equipment later this week or maybe after a few more weeks.

15. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is what my 220 cost 2.5 years ago. 4 sides starphire and 3/4 glass. all rimless 72x36x20.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what my 220 cost 2.5 years ago. 4 sides starphire and 3/4 glass. all rimless 72x36x20.

16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I likely will be buying 2 new 6 ft tanks, not sure the width yet once we move out of this place.
    Plumber will add drain and tap water lines, and then electric conduit for the electric under each tank.
    So I have a good idea the cost of these.

The 70 Gallon cost almost as much as the 120 Gallon, so is this 3-4 ft range, larger is a better deal.

17. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I likely will be buying 2 new 6 ft tanks, not sure the width yet once we move out of this place.
    Plumber will add drain and tap water lines, and then electric conduit for the electric under each tank.
    So I have a good idea the cost of these.

The 70 Gallon cost almost as much as the 120 Gallon, so is this 3-4 ft range, larger is a better deal.

18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'm still messing with the scape and will make some changes as things grow in a bit more. For now, I'm just getting some plant species mixed in that I want to grow in some more and not languish in a bucket or in the Quarantine tanks.
    I likely will add another emergent branch in the back and have the moss come up on it. After about 2-3 weeks, the moss and other plants will adapt well to the emergent growth and will start to look decent.
    As the Riccardia grows out, it will wedge itself in between the plants and form new clusters better. Some are just sort of loose and I'll need to replant and put some things back in, but that's easier than really securing everything.
    I'll add more to the density and may remove the belem grass or I might accept that instead of the Gloss for the foreground. If I add the extra wood on the right side in the back, those Buce's will go up on the branches, and back towards the rear middle more.
    This will allow more of the foreground plants to sweep around and give a better focus on the wood and Buce tree epiphtyes.
    But for now...........

I'll pick and do minor things for the next month or two.

The only really major thing will be hiding the weir overflow box, pump and return.
    I have 3-4 plans for this and I'll experiment with each to see what I prefer.

This will lead into doing this for all/most of my tanks' prefilter weir boxes and returns.
    I have a very stepwise approach to experimentation to improve overall aesthetics.

This scape design lends well to hiding all the equipment. So it makes sense to do it for this tank.
    I still need to work on hiding the inflow and returns, need to plant the 15 or so smaller Anubias whites, wait a bit and then add the wood for the rear Right side.
    Need to add more Fish(next Monday I suppose) and get some CRS SS or SSS grades, maybe 30-40. The ADA AS is aged now, so it's good for them, temps are nice and low, CPD do not prey on shrimp(at least the RCS).
    The rest is just picking a little picking and making sure the plants are staying in place, doing 2x a week water changes etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    Nice. I like this a lot better than the old setup.

What size mesh is the stainless steel mesh in your overflow? I'm using the plastic one that CPR makes and it doesn't stop small fish or shrimp.

20. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You can get various sizes, this is specific for Amano's, I think it's a 10#, but I could be wrong, I just look at the actual stuff, not a no# etc. Maybe 1/4" mesh pore sizes. You bed and cut them carefully and then they are easy to tap on the side of a bucket to clean etc. Then the prefilter sponges get the rest. You really do not even need any more mechanical filtration. This mesh will not prevent CRS/RCS etc from going over though.

It's a much better design than the older hardscape, it'll take a few minor adjustments over the next 2-3 months, but the end result will be a very maintenance high value crop that also looks nice and is very different than my other tank designs. Hardscape matches the theme plants.