This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

7.8 Ph Goldfish Planted Tank...

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Sourpuss, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    2:38 PM
    I have a 40 breeder tank with a Finnex planted plus 24/7 suspended 12" above the tank. Going for low light no c02. 65°F.I know my water is hard. My ph never budges and I have the lovely calcium build-up.In this tank i have aponogeton, java fern,anubias, crypt wendtii green and both green and red tiger lotus. I have a very limited budget for this tank as I am setting up a tank for my kids also. The 40g has been up for 3 months. Right now I am experiencing diatoms. No other algae seems to be present in any noticeable amount. For deco I have a piece of well aged mopani and also one piece of petrified wood. These were thickly covered. I am doing manual removal on wc day. I also have 3 large nerites and 3 small thorned nerites. They do their best buy cannot keep up. The plants are all growing nicely. I get new anubias leaves once a week or so on each plant. Java fern is transitioning. It has 5 new fronds at the base. Apono is....weird. Just be some funky hybrid x Crispus monstrosity. No underwater leaves, only skinny stems leading up to floating leaves on the surface. They take up half of the tanks surface and I currently have 7 flower stalks. This plant has bloomed constantly for the last 2 months, showing no sign of slowing down. I keep it for my kids, they love it. Crypts are from my son's tank. I experienced no melt. I let the roots alone and we have similar water chemistry but drastically different lighting. Tiger lotus... What can I say, not bad for petco bulbs. They are both growing rather good and seem unaffected by the diatoms. I have had these before many times. They never looked half as good.

Blah blah blah....

So I need new ferts. Something easy ,so I was going to get nilocg thrive. This would work best for me and my water change schedule. Right now I'm using some very expired flourish comp and some tetra potassium. Still seems to kinda work. Flourish smells/looks like soy sauce. Makes me hungry for egg rolls.I am doing half doses. Without testing my gh can I tell if I need a booster? What ever I add to this tank I do not want to lower my ph, so with any suggestions keep that in mind. Any tips on the diatoms would be appreciated. And any other tough hard water plant suggestions for a goldfish tank would be appreciated. I do plan on getting more varieties of java fern and maybe some buce.

2. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Does lighting affect diatoms? I have read conflicting information.

3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:38 PM
    I can't say I've had a serious problem with diatoms. They are a photosynthetic organism, so they do use light to grow. You could always experiment with dropping the light 50% and seeing the results, if the fixture is dimmable. How is the overall organic buildup in the tank with goldfish? On my big bottle of comprehensive it says refrigerate after three months of opening, you might get more life out of it that way if you buy a new bottle sometime.

There is a BarrReport on these critters:
    https://barrreport.com/articles/diatoms-bacillariophyta-and-aquatic-macrophytes-volume-3-issue-4.12/

It says they are common in a new tank, but your tank has been up for a while. How is the overall cleanliness of the substrate?

edit: I posted the wrong link

#3 Kyalgae, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Sand is kept pretty clean. I have a small ranchu 2" or so plus the snails. will be adding another ranchu when it warms up here.I vac sand weekly. No TDS meter. My light is easily moveable so I will try that. My flourish comp expired 2yrs ago.lol. I will be ordering new ferts this weekend.

5. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:38 PM
    Have you tried using dry plant nutrients and making your own solution. Much less expensive. Goldfish, even the fancier breeds, are pretty hardy and probably adapt fairly easily to higher pH. The problem with the higher pH is that the nutrients are bound in compounds that make them unavailable to the plants.

6. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    I have been using nilocg. It is working really great. I am aware about the ph for goldfish and " nutrient lockout". Thank you.