68 Gallon layout assistance

jerime

Jan 23, 2005
I've grown older and layzier I guess and it's getting to be very tiresome of pruning and chopping and all, so came up with a plan to re make my layout (comprized now of R. green, R. Indica, E. tenellus red etc').

My new layout w'd be comprized mainly of small foreground plant (Glosso., H.C or any other suggestion you might have), 2 focal points (rocks and driftwood), some red plants behind the wood and a layer of Tonina / Eriocaulon near it.

Here's a sketch I made (please forgive my lack of talent ) :
LAYOUT.JPG

Now, what do I need ?
1. Is a 2 focal points layout problematic?
2. Suggestion for the main foregroung plant?
3. Any general remarks regarding this layout?
4. Tom, the main plant biomass w'd be based on small foreground plant. Do you see any possible algae problem due? any suggestions?

Thanks.

colonel

Guru Class Expert
Nov 25, 2005
Re: 68 Gallon layout assistance

Just a suggestion.... if its less work your trying to achive I would stay away from the glosso.... that is going to be a very large area to be filled in... and glosso grows fast and tends to get "weedy" very quickly..... it needs a lot of work to keep it looking nice, constant trimming and thinning. I dont have any expierence growing HC, but from what I understand it grows slower and would probably be a lot easier to maintain.... however it would also probably take a while to get enough to cover an area that large also...... Just something to consider

jerime

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks. I had experience with Glosso - it's exactly as you said. The H.C is much slower but at moment it can not be purchased in my country so I'm kinda stuck.
Any other plant I haven't thought of?
The layout itself?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

HC is pretty easy over time unlike Gloss.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jerime

Jan 23, 2005

Tom, is there a problem with using small growing plants like H.C in terms of algae? also, is there a problem with using 2 diff. focal points?

colonel

Guru Class Expert
Nov 25, 2005

Over the long run once everything is estlabished and growing well I dont think you will have an algae issue. But as always with any set up of a new tank, or total tear down..... Im sure you will be in danger those first week's/months that everything is getting estlabished and getting going. So as its recomended most often I would just add a lot of cheap fast growers to help out in the start up.... things like hornwort, H. polysperma etc.... what ever is cheap and available to you, once things start to take off, you should be able to romove those and be alright