This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

68 Gallon layout assistance

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by jerime, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jerime

jerime Expired Subscriber

I've grown older and layzier I guess and it's getting to be very tiresome of pruning and chopping and all, so came up with a plan to re make my layout (comprized now of R. green, R. Indica, E. tenellus red etc').

My new layout w'd be comprized mainly of small foreground plant (Glosso., H.C or any other suggestion you might have), 2 focal points (rocks and driftwood), some red plants behind the wood and a layer of Tonina / Eriocaulon near it.

Here's a sketch I made (please forgive my lack of talent ) :
    [​IMG]

Now, what do I need ?
    1. Is a 2 focal points layout problematic?
    2. Suggestion for the main foregroung plant?
    3. Any general remarks regarding this layout?
    4. Tom, the main plant biomass w'd be based on small foreground plant. Do you see any possible algae problem due? any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. colonel

colonel Guru Class Expert

Re: 68 Gallon layout assistance

Just a suggestion.... if its less work your trying to achive I would stay away from the glosso.... that is going to be a very large area to be filled in... and glosso grows fast and tends to get "weedy" very quickly..... it needs a lot of work to keep it looking nice, constant trimming and thinning. I dont have any expierence growing HC, but from what I understand it grows slower and would probably be a lot easier to maintain.... however it would also probably take a while to get enough to cover an area that large also...... Just something to consider

3. jerime

Thanks. I had experience with Glosso - it's exactly as you said. The H.C is much slower but at moment it can not be purchased in my country so I'm kinda stuck.
    Any other plant I haven't thought of?
    The layout itself?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

HC is pretty easy over time unlike Gloss.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. jerime

Tom, is there a problem with using small growing plants like H.C in terms of algae? also, is there a problem with using 2 diff. focal points?

6. colonel

colonel Guru Class Expert

Over the long run once everything is estlabished and growing well I dont think you will have an algae issue. But as always with any set up of a new tank, or total tear down..... Im sure you will be in danger those first week's/months that everything is getting estlabished and getting going. So as its recomended most often I would just add a lot of cheap fast growers to help out in the start up.... things like hornwort, H. polysperma etc.... what ever is cheap and available to you, once things start to take off, you should be able to romove those and be alright