65 Too Deep For Beginner?

livingstone

Aug 25, 2019
Oneonta NY
It looks like I'm going to do it--set up a 40b or 65 gallon planted aquarium, that is. I've never done any serious freshwater and it has been years since the non-serious stuff. I'd like to know experts' opinions on whether it's foolish of me to try a standard 65 gallon aquarium (which I already own) or if it would be more realistic of me to try the lesser depth of a 40B (which I will have to acquire). I am willing to purchase the necessary lighting in either case. Will I be able to get plants that will grow the two feet in the background of the 65?

Thanks,
Dan

Reactions: Samscape

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I like shorter tanks for serious planting.
Wet armpits and such not so much fun.
Easier to get light to the bottom too.

My main tank is an 80G frag style tank, 4'x2'x16" deep, 8 sq.ft. of planting area!

livingstone

Aug 25, 2019
Oneonta NY
Thank you, Phishless, for your response and your experiential wisdom. Your tank has delightful dimensions and the photos you have posted of it are absolutely gorgeous! I have a 120 gallon empty tank with the same footprint but wet armpit syndrome would result there as well not to mention the capacity for a larger failure as a beginner. I have a lot to mull over. :)

Thanks,
Dan

Reactions: Phishless

TDot

Jun 25, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I first started with a 45 gallon tall the worst. Plants would not grow and algae was the only thing I could grow. I had to stand on a stool to get anywhere near the plants. It was the worst. But, you have to start somewhere

livingstone

Aug 25, 2019
Oneonta NY
I first started with a 45 gallon tall the worst. Plants would not grow and algae was the only thing I could grow. I had to stand on a stool to get anywhere near the plants. It was the worst. But, you have to start somewhere
So, another voice heard in favor of a shorter tank.
I've been seeing photos and videos of beautiful 24" high aquariums. The plants have a greater variation in height in the taller tanks which, it seems to me, lends itself to a more interesting view. So, I'm leaning toward proceeding with the greater height along with the appropriate increased technology.

Thanks for your viewpoint,
Dan