65 South America Riparium

hydrophyte

Prolific Poster
Aug 21, 2009
Hey Tom have you ever considered adding a journal or gallery forum? That would be good for me anyway because I never have anything very intelligent to say only some pictures to post.

I have had this 65-gallon tank set up for some time. It is looking good right now and last night I got a full-tank shot...

11-ix-09-tank-i-m.jpg

I really like the dwarf taro (Colocasia fallax). It has taken a while but just recently began much more vigorous growth. It makes a nice centerpiece in this layout.

scratch-colocasia-ii.jpg

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Wow! Once Again

Wow! That is gorgeous.:)

I think there is a gallery area, not sure it is much used but there are a few folks around here that could fill it I am sure.:cool:

Biollante

hydrophyte

Prolific Poster
Aug 21, 2009
Tonight I got a couple pictures of the ladies' tresses orchid (Spiranthes cernua var. odorata) that I have been growing in here. It was a long wait to see these flowers: the spike has been developing for more than two months.

29-ix-09-spiranthes-cernua-var-odorata-i-m.jpg

Here is a macro shot.

29-ix-09-spiranthes-cernua-var-odorata-ii-m.jpg

...and here is an updated FTS, from just the other night.

26-ix-09-tank-montage-i-m.jpg

This tank picture is a post-processed montage incorporating images shot at three different exposures, a measure used to correct for the extra glare and shadow that my camera captures.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That has to be one of the most beautiful aquarium photos I have seen. There are just so many things to look at with a riparium, and so many new plants to use. I'm really getting anxious to get mine up and running - another couple of days should do it.

hydrophyte

Prolific Poster
Aug 21, 2009
This tank has gotten to be overgrown. The taro and big sword on the right are blocking all the light..

3-x-09-tank-i-m.jpg

I'm getting ready to start yanking stuff out. I want to to plant with mostly all new stuff--I have several interesting plants from my collection lined up to go in there.

There are some extra divisions and plantlets, notably with the taro, the sweetflag and the E. cordifolius sword. Would anybody out there like to have a few of them?

hydrophyte

Prolific Poster
Aug 21, 2009
I'm in Wisconsin, land of cheeses.

Hey i used to live in Arizona. Where is Surprise located?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
hydrophyte;41586 said:
I'm in Wisconsin, land of cheeses.

Hey i used to live in Arizona. Where is Surprise located?

Hi,

Boy that is quite a difference, I kind of wondered how long that Taro could stay there.

Surprise is 20 miles northwest of Phoenix in the northwest valley, general area of Sun City West. Surprise was just your average little corrupt western town, and then the building boom came, as with all of the cities around here, went annex crazy, growing from a couple of square miles to something like a 70.:rolleyes:

The loud creature that shares space with me lived in Madison till the town folk rose up and drove it and the others from their midst.:)

Biollante