This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

60p shrimp scape: looking for feedback on flora

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by wheatiesl337, Oct 28, 2013.

1. wheatiesl337

wheatiesl337 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    I was hoping for some feedback and additional planting suggestions on my first rimless scape.

The tank is a 60p with ADA amazonia substrate. Lights are LEDs on a ramp timer. I have tested with a PAR meter and will have a high degree of control over the lighting. Filtration is a 10g sump. I was not planning on CO2.

The tank will house CRS and yellow neos to start. The tank is currently in dry start. I am especially looking for feedback on the planned flora. Thanks!

Current Flora: c. parva, c. lucens, a. nana petite, s. repens, e. parkeri, e. cinereum, peacock moss, m. minuta

I am not sure the erios will make it without c02, but I can pull them and grow out in greenhouse if not, so I thought I would give it a try.

The m. minuta grows so slowly, I was wondering if I should consider an additional foreground plant, such as monte carlo?

I was also considering adding some c. petchii or a different small crypt to the background. I was looking for something with darker colors/reds to break up the greens that currently dominate.

Finally, I have some marimo balls and other various moss with my shrimp currently. I was considering a marimo ball in the front corner where the container currently is, unless people would seriously recommend against using these. I have heard rumors that these (as glorified balls of algea) can cause clado in the tank, but after looking around on forums, I have only found anecdotal evidence supporting these assertions.

Below are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wheatiesl337

wheatiesl337 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    So I posted an update on this tank here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4460169&postcount=2

I don't feel like reformatting the pictures to post on this thread, since they aren't the best (need a macro lense). Anyways, I changed plans for the tank substantially. A friend of mine had some auto-dosing and c02 equipment he decided he wouldn't be using for a while, so I am injecting c02 on an EI regimen. c02 is on a timer, and it turns on about 2 hours before the lights.

I flooded the tank about a month ago. For the first 3 weeks, I kept the c02 cranked way up and performed frequent water changes while I kept getting ammonia readings. Ammonia readings finally dropped off, and I backed off the c02 and added amano shrimp. For the last week, I have been slowly increasing c02 and watching my pH shift between night and day. I think c02 is about at the level I am comfortable with for inverts. No ammonia last reading.

I am running about 50-60 PAR at the substrate for about 3.5 hours. 2 hours ramp up and 2 hours ramp down. This is higher PAR than i usually run, but I added UG, and am growing it under water for the first time. I want to make sure I do this right, so does anyone see anything I am doing wrong so far? Any suggestings? Will UG stay happy if I bring the PAR down to the 40ish range?

I plan to add some more erios and make them a bit more of the focus of the open area on the right side. Open to other suggestions on the plantings.