This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

60P lighting question. Enough or too much?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by JonnVanBC, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JonnVanBC

JonnVanBC Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:58 AM
    Hi.. First post!

I've bought a 60P size DoAqua tank(60x30x36cm) and will be setting it up low tech. I'm hoping to have the tank approximately 75% planted; maybe half of that being low carpet areas (HC?) and the other half mid & taller plants. The remaining 25% being an open sandy area for cories to poke their noses into. I'm also going to try an emersed start for getting the carpet going.

For the lights, I have 3 of the Fluval Flora 13w cf lights. I've opened 2 of them and I'm thinking of returning the 3rd unopened one. However, if I were to put a glass cover on the tank will that cut the light down enough to warrant using the 3rd 13 watter? 2 of these lights works out to 1.53wpg. 3 lights is 2.3wpg. The lights will sit 3 or 4" above the water. They have decent reflectors(looks like a polished metal of sorts) but they are smallish lights and having three would have a more even light spread over the tank, lining them up three in a row on the back.

I probably should have bought a different light set up from the start. I originally intended to have two for a 30L tank, but now I've got the 60L. So I bought a 3rd one thinking - bigger tank, one more light. Now I want to go low tech and I've opened two so I'm stuck with them and need to make do. Should I use the 3rd light?

This is the light: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK

Cheers!

2. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:58 AM
    I would be interested in taking one of them off of your hands if you can find a buyer for the other one.

#2 Tug, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012