60g diy... rhinox or rio

dannyjsanchez

Junior Poster
Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
this is my 1st post here. hi!
i have a 60g lightly planted and i'd like to keep a modest but consistent growth. i've read so many posts over the last few weeks that my head is filled with info. i can see that the favorite diy method is the rio with cut blades w/a co2 line in. i also read about putting a rhinox5000 under the fluval's outflow and letting the co2 diffuse that way.
25ab_1.jpg

i'd prefer not to put a powerhead in there but i don't know what to think anymore. i think i need a thread of my own where i'm not pingpong-ing back and forth between 8 ideas at once.
here is my setup:
fluval 405, fluorite, diy co2, 2 65w dual daylights.
picture.php

thanks!

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Really nice tank!

It's long and narrow. You might want to consider having CO2 coming in from two places or one near the center. Anyway that you do it, you will want good circulation somehow.

Do you want mist or very few bubbles showing?

dannyjsanchez

Junior Poster
Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for that. it's very helpful and maybe i should consider leaving my magnum on the tank as well. seeing the setup of my tank, how should i put 2 filters on? opposite ends? filter/output - intake/output ?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
If you run the intakes on one end and the outlets on the other you should be able to avoid "refiltering" relatively clean water. It probably won't make much difference but it will give you a more complete flow across the entire tank. Variables such as your aquascape may render the whole idea null and void.

-
S

dannyjsanchez;53649 said:
thanks for that. it's very helpful and maybe i should consider leaving my magnum on the tank as well. seeing the setup of my tank, how should i put 2 filters on? opposite ends? filter/output - intake/output ?