60 Gallon Cube Zebra L046 pleco tank

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Hi,

I have decided to do the 60 Gallon cube as a Zebra pleco aquarium(L046).
I have 10 fish, all F1's.

The sediment is Black flourite sand(took a while to decide).
Filter is a wet/dry type with a bag micron filter, sponges etc, heater, CO2, then return. About 400gph. I will have a pair of powerheads on a wavetimer in each corner. Add another 500-600GPH. I have a 1600gph powerhead also, might not use it, too much flow:)

Design for the scape will be a new challenge.
One rarely addressed in scaping groups.
Scaping does not focus much on the fish as much it seems.

I plan on hollowing several large groups of caves(12-15) out of 4-6" diameter driftwood, about 1-2.5" diameter and about 4-6" deep. These will make hopefully a natural pile with Riccia/Xmas moss running through and some Vals in the background.

Tank will be more open than the African Cube.

Cherry shrimp seem like a decent critter to to along with the zebras as well as the Zebras. I might add some Crystal reds instead. If they are eaten by the plecos great! Be awhile before they cause any issues. I have some L 134 Leporad frog's that are of breeding size and some Red Lorcairia(7 of each), which I might see about trying to breed first and growing the zebras out more in the 10 gallon grow out tank that is under this tank.

I doubt the shrimp will go after any of the breeding eggs etc, plecos guard pretty well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I solved the hollow log ssue, got a nice drill hammer, and some larger bits.
I found some nice softer bald Cypress from a friend in FL where I use to live.
I cannot drill in most of the woods here, too dang hard to bore 10-14cm depth and looked strange. Pilling a stack together of bamboo etc did not do it for me.

I'd been toying with some rock scapes and had a good idea, but found a simiar wood substitute. The Cypress is pretty soft some I can drill into it really well and put many holes along the bottom. Next I take a torch and roast the out hole edges, then pressure blast with water to remove the char. This gives a very nice weathered look that's natural. Hides saw marks, drill holes etc.

I can easily punch a dozen holes into the wood piece I have coming.
I was going to head up north and collect some wood, but gas and time are not really good for me at the moment.

This should give a nice unique look very different from the cedar in the other tanks.

I have enough cypress now to do quite a few neat hard scapes.
Much easier to work with than rock. Try drilling that.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Here's the hardscape wood I have to play with, this is suitable for a 120 Gal, 120 cm long tank, but I'llplay with the 60 cube for a bit, then glue them in place.
I can place a large flat slate pieced and glue to that also.

Probably just do the direct glue method.

100_3473.jpg

Should look pretty good with the large short castle type piece as the main piece focal point. The flat lower vertical parts will have the holes I'll add.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
wow tom im so jealous are you redoing the current 60 cube with this or did you get another one? either way i got to go pay you a visit and check this tank out when i come home for Christmas. F1 zebras that must have cost you an arm and a leg lol

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, I know the prices for them and got a good deal.
I have another 60 Cube sitting here, so that tank is the one that was going to be a reef, now it's a Zebra tank.

I likely will not place them in there for a bit though.
They will be in a 10 Gal tank for a wile till they are fat, healthy, and the 60 Gal is cured and running well, can support other plecos etc.

The DO in my other tank, the 120 Gal is at about 7 at night to 9.7 ppm during the day. I should get able to get about this, maybe a tad less, 8-8.5ppm during the day for the Zebras.

Conductivities are 100 in the tap, and after adding at the ferts etc, 350 or so.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fish94

Junior Poster
Sep 7, 2007
Tom,
Please post pics as you scape! Looking forward to seeing it! :D
Thanks!

Phil

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

I researched the zebras a bit. Very nice fish!

Will you have too many for the 60 cube? I see they get a decent size and the males fight for territory?

I can see why the caves will be useful and necessary for badgered fish.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The Caves are commonl used for plecos.
I just do not like the chessy breeder style PVC etc caves.

Zebras are fine a 10 gallon tank.
They can be kept together with several caves.

The 60 Gallon is actually quite large for them.
They are not the smartest fish when it comes to looking for food.

But as they grow a get bigger, this is not an issue.

I have not been able to get HC to take due to Plecos in 2 tanks and will break the 38 Cube down in my bedroom and replant using the DSM.

Those fish and shrimp will go into the 60 Cube.
Then I'll do the 38 for the Zebras I think.

I have enough wood to do either.
I'll hav eto play with the 60 first, get that done, then move to the 38 cube.
Hair grass will take nicely in the 38gal tank though.
Just not larger leafy ground cover that the loaches will maul.

Pissing me off.
It's the price I pay for Plecos and dwarf Botia.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
any pics of the fish available or will i have to wait till I go back to cali to see them?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I might get around to it sometime next week.

I'm working on the wood still in the 60 Cube and they are in a 10 Gal shrimp tank for now.

Regards,
Tom Barr