This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

57 gallons tanks

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Moonfroz, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Moonfroz

Moonfroz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:42 AM
    Hello Everybody

I'm new, so I will present myself. I live in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) area. I have been keeping fish for about 30 years, mostly planted freshwater tanks. However, 6 years ago, I switched to a 180 gallons Reef tank. Since that day, I was missing my planted tanks.

Few weeks ago, a friend a mine asked me to help him setup a an Amano style planted tank. So, since thing must have changed in the last 6 years, I have done some intensive research and I found this nice forum.

There are so many things new to the hobby,I would like to get your idea and suggestion.

#1 - Aquarium
    Here the start, I wanted to go with a 48 inch tank but I have to stick with a 36 inch tank because 48 inch is 4 inch too long. Therefore, I have selected a 57 gallons tank from Deep Blue (http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/edge.html). This company uses Starphir glass in the front.

But, my question is with a plastic RIM or RIMELESS on top edge?

My own preference will be to go with RIMLESS aquarium, but Is there any problem associated with rimless aquarium?

Is the 36"x18"x20" (20" is height) a nice size regarding proportion?

#2 - CO2
    I'm going CO2 high tech ie 10 pounds CO2 bottle with Regulator and pH controller to regulate CO2. I already own 2 full kits from my old planted tank.

#3 - Substrate
    Substrate is a big concern for me. In the past, I have used the original Seachem Flourite (brown-red version) with mitigated result. from my research, I have found mineralized top soil, AD Aqua Amazonia soil, Fluval Stratum, etc.

Around here, I can only have access to Fluval Startum, Eco-Complete, Flourite Black (medium and sand version). Regarding AD Aqua Amazonia, I will have to order it through internet which will be much more expensive because of the shipping.

However, base on your experience, which one do you recommend (or a mix) for a long term planted tank?

#4: - Lighting
    I will probably go with LED because it's cheaper in the long term. I will probably go with Orphek lighting for planted tank but I have not decided yet.

Anybody has experience with their lighting LED fixture?
    Regarding LED how much watts per gallons should I have to have a nice planted grass such as Eleocharis parvala or Echinodorus Tenellus?

#5- Fertilizer,
    Since, I am use to perform seawater test, I will probably go with the Test kit way. But, I am a bit confuse about which method I should use!!!

#6 - Water change
    A 50% water change a week, it's not a problem for me!

7 - Style
    All rocks, All woods or a mix, dont know yet. But, I like very much this style:
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/12989-quot-Xibalba-quot-44-gallon-iwagumi

This is a starting point of my project. Any advice and help will be very appreciated.

Best Regards!

2. Moonfroz

Moonfroz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    For the substrate, I was thinking to use Fluval Stratum as bottom substrate with Seachem Flourite Black sand on top. Is it a good Idea?

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi and welcome.

1. This is a nice tank with good dimensions. I have both the 57 and 75 sizes. IMO the rimless looks best. There is no issue with this unless the seams were not sealed correctly at the proper strength. Not a problem so far..

2. How do you plan to diffuse the c02 to the tank?

3. Flourite and eco complete both work. The nice thing about ADA and other mineralized soils is that they provide another source of nutrients other than the water column.

4. No experience here sorry.

5. PLease check out the EI sticky thread. This method works well for many and is quite simple. Will also go with your 50% weekly water change.

Hope this helps and good luck.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi and welcome.

1. This is a nice tank with good dimensions. I have both the 57 and 75 sizes. IMO the rimless looks best. There is no issue with this unless the seams were not sealed correctly at the proper strength. Not a problem so far..

2. How do you plan to diffuse the c02 to the tank?

3. Flourite and eco complete both work. The nice thing about ADA and other mineralized soils is that they provide another source of nutrients other than the water column.

4. No experience here sorry.

5. PLease check out the EI sticky thread. This method works well for many and is quite simple. Will also go with your 50% weekly water change.

Hope this helps and good luck.

5. Moonfroz

Moonfroz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nice

So I will go with the 57 gallons rimless-> check

Regarding CO2 diffuser, I never used this type of the product. In the past, I was injecting CO2 directly in to the filter input. I did that because I thought the CO2 will have more time to dissolve in thr water inside the external filter. Is there anybody using this method???

If it's a bad idea, please suggest me one?

Regarding substrate, is mineralized dirt soil good for an high tech fast growing tank?

6. Moonfroz

Moonfroz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    No more comments!

Please, I need your advice....

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    On the CO2, for your size tank I've found the atomizers/diffusers not efficient enough for a high light/high tech setup. Injecting it into the filter intake could damage your filter. I'd recommend a CO2 reactor like a Cerges style reactor post filter inline. I have had greater success with this method over an atomizer on a 48 gallon tank.

You can run into troubles with pH controller if the water chemistry shifts. Best to dial in a rate that is adequate for plant growth and run it 1 hour prior to lights on and off one hour prior to lights off. If you have a change in kH or an addition of organic acids your pH could shift due to reasons other than CO2 leaving you short on CO2. I lost my pH controller a long while ago.

I don't have experience with DIY mineralized soils, so I can't say. I can say that if you are dosing using EI method you should have plenty of nutrients, but a good substrate is very helpful. I've only used aquasoil, but there are other baked clay soils out there. I know some have used Akadama a bonsai tree soil. I think Seachem's flourite is a baked clay.