55g planted tank

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
Well, I had to skip a water change because of my thumb, but I must say, thanks to you guys, it already looks better! :D

Nearly all the plants are entirely green again and both algae types are nearly gone.

I read up on the hydrogen peroxide, and although it seems like a good solution, it can only be done in fishless tanks...I guess...so that's out of the question.

I've got the CO2 up to 3bps now and as soon as I get it to four, I will try to turn the lights back on (I have only half of them running every day.) Let me know if this is not a good idea...:)

Would it be a good idea to trim all the plants and take out as many snails as possible next week? I want to start adding fish (a bunch of neons and a female GBR again) but want the tank to be as clean as possible and rid of most snails.

Thanks for all the help so far! :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add the pic!

DSCN9344.jpg

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Old is New Again

I just answered http://www.barrreport.com/general-plant-topics/6232-hydrogen-peroxide-algae-control.html

Yes Hydrogen Peroxide was quite popular in the 1990's, it can be effective, it has generally fallen out of favor, I think. I suspect safer alternatives have been part of that.

It is a cheat, I have on occasion recommended, but as with any cheat, black-outs, antibiotics and all the rest really ought only be done in conjunction with steps to get at the root cause. These steps may kill the cyanobacteria (they hate oxygen) but won't cure the systemic weakness, that caused the problem.

The PPS thing rings a bell seems perhaps a problem inherent to that system.

Water changes safely introduce a lot of oxygen to the system.

I have more if there is any interest.

Biollante

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
Thanks. I've read around a little more... The algae doesn't seem to be coming back for now (even though I had to skip a water change this week.) So I'm pretty sure that problem is nearly overcome.

As for snails, I think I'll go with the assassin snail option. I'll take out as many as I can during the next cleaning though.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Snails?

Dingsda;40674 said:
Thanks. I've read around a little more... The algae doesn't seem to be coming back for now (even though I had to skip a water change this week.) So I'm pretty sure that problem is nearly overcome.

As for snails, I think I'll go with the assassin snail option. I'll take out as many as I can during the next cleaning though.

Are the snails actually bothering any thing?;)

With the exception of a couple a real bad guys, snails are pretty much harmless. Tend to 'bloom' when you have other problems and die back when things get back where they should be. :)

If your fish like tasty treats, crushing and chopping up a few can be a real treat.:eek:

Biollante

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
Yeah, if you glance at my tank, the snails attract the most attention because they are literally everywhere... I saw my GBR peck at them once or twice, but I think he's lost interest. I don't really want to risk the water quality by squishing them and then discovering that he's picky. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Scoop 'em

Dingsda;40695 said:
Yeah, if you glance at my tank, the snails attract the most attention because they are literally everywhere... I saw my GBR peck at them once or twice, but I think he's lost interest. I don't really want to risk the water quality by squishing them and then discovering that he's picky. :)

Then you scoop 'em out and add a little butter, hot pan...:D

Biollante

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
for the life me i can not imagine why i see so many threads on how to get rid of snais.. Snails are the workhorse of the planted tank. especially if they are MTS.. they keep the substrate aerated and keep the glass/ hardscapes clean.. I love my snails and would hate to lose them.. MTS snails will actually keep their own population in check.. Unless your overfeeding they will never be a prblem and actually an asset. I have 3 different types of snails in all my planted tanks.. 8 in all. Ive never had any kinda of problems caused by snails.. just my 2 cents..

I love my snails!!

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
CO2 Likely Problem

I am with Darkstar on the snail thing. I am not sure what kind of snail it is right off hand, though I don’t recognize it as a dangerous species. If you want to take one out and give an above, beneath and each side photo I am pretty sure someone can identify the thing, put a ruler or coin or something for reference in the photo.

Are the snails doing damage?

As long as they aren’t doing damage, I would be in no hurry to get rid of them.

If you have a big bloom of snails and they are not eating your plants or your fish, you can be sure they are eating something to breed and sustain themselves that way.

I cannot tell for sure from that photo but I see a bit of hair algae on the leaves in that photo. Could those snails be keeping algae in check? If so, get the water conditions right and the snails will die back on their own.

I think this is one of those classic CO2 chases, bubbles-per-second really isn’t a good measure of effective CO2 in solute or good circulation. Water changes are the best place to start.

I think Gerryd and shoggoth43 gave very good advice and Dutchy is right, ultimately it is going to be getting the CO2 in order.

The hang on back filter is going to be part of the problem. The surface slime problem is likely secondary to the algae, CO2 deficiency, I think you will find powerhead(s) are far more effective. The needlewheel reactor that shoggoth43 suggested is a really good idea, really. Really good idea.

Biollante

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
those are Ramshorn snails.. I have a few and for some reason in my tanks they dont get out of control population wise. They are however a befit to me as they keep the glass clean of algae, same for plants, they dont actually eat the plants but eat any new algae growth and are well know for cleaning up detritus on the bottom.. I dont like them as much as my MTS but i dont mind them.. if you really wanna thin them out a little throw a loach in your tank.. Ramshorns have thin shells and loaches can easily eat them. in fact they relish them..

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
Yea, there are a few species of ramshorn.. What I would do in your case is: double the plant mass, cut your fish feeding in half (its causing your snail outbreak and most likely some algae) and up your C02.. most likely double it.. doesnt look to me like its getting distributed welll enough.. I think you'll see a huge improvement just doing those 3 things. maybe add a power head for water movement.. I like the Koralia nano.

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
I can cut the feedings and up the CO2 (am still doing that anyway.) As for doubling the plant mass, I just go rid of all the stuff that had permanent algae on it and was shocked how little I have left! :( I guess I shouldn't have done that...I will see if I can get some more plants from locals; the ones in the stores are way too expensive.

I'll start looking for solutions to the circulation problem. I hope I can get something done before the end of the month. Any links to possible solutions would be great.

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
I've managed to increase the CO2 to 4-5bps. The light is still at 2x65w 6 hours per day. Although the plant mass is significantly less and I'm getting a little of the brown stuff on one of them, the weed is growing about 1/2 per day.

What I need to do:

1. Fix the circulation problem. Any suggestions on that?

2. Fix the CO2 circulation problem. I know someone local who makes homemade reactors for $25. Should I consider going that route? Or would there be something that would solve both my problems at the same time?

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
No, a CO2 reactor can't fix circulation problem. In fact, it can potentially reduce your
flow rate because of back pressure from bubbles.

Well, rereading your posting, you didn't ask if a reactor can solve two problems at
the same time, sorry.

But another pump attached to a CO2 reactor can do that both.:)

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
Ok, so the reactor by itself would just be replacing the diffuser with a better solution, but not increasing the flow unless I added something else. :)

Basically, I'm trying to find the cheapest and easiest solution that would fix both problems.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009

Dingsda

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2009
Arizona
Thanks for all the help. Sorry I wasn't around lately. My CO2 tank seemed to be leaking because after two months it was already empty. :( I got it filled (not all the way but it will work) and checked for leaks again. There don't seem to be any now, so I'll just have to wait and see if something happens.

As for the reactor, I'm definitely going to get one as soon as I've figured out how it works and what else I will need.

After that I'll get some driftwood and more fish and plants.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Hi, try looking at DIY CO2 Reactor
It gives the basic idea of how a CO2 reactor works: CO2 bubbles try to rise but the
current pushes them down. Adding some bioballs creates local turbulence around them,
enhancing better dissolving. But I don't like the idea of adding sponge at the bottom
though because it can be clogged.

Tom's reactor is an advanced design that there are 2 more tubes: one is to draw air
pocket in the upper area back to to be chopped by the pump again; another for manually
dispersing air pocket (to the tank or anywhere else) or if you want to change the level of
‘being sucked back to the pump’, you will need a valve or an A-clamp for this tube to
control, unless the CO2 bubbles in the reactor will escape through it.