5 Gallon Fish Bowl

Sky King

Jan 26, 2019
Billings, MT
10/5/2018 searched all over town for biggest fish bowl.
Approximately 5 gal. @ Hobby Lobby = $22.

Bought 10 emaciated White Clouds @ Petsmart @ $1.59 each + extra bag of water.
1 anubius Nana = $5.
Wanted to wait on fish but with only 1 real fish store in Billings was lucky to get the fish I wanted.
Bought declor & food @ LPS that used to buy my ghost mantids
Drove home, dumped fish, plant, extra water & same amount of tap water in bowl on table by east facing window.
Those white clouds sure are tough!

So ends my 2nd post, more to come soon.

Last edited:

Sky King

Jan 26, 2019
Billings, MT
10 white clouds in a bare fish bowl doesn't take much imagination and a photo wouldn't be an improvement.
The next day 10/6 I bought gravel and aquascaped. Again no pic but bear with me, it was my first aquarium in over 18 years and I wasn't expecting to make a journal.
My goal was to go as low-tech as possible like the YouTube video I had watched.
"No filter, No ferts, No CO2" but I went one step further, No Heater.

Sky King

Jan 26, 2019
Billings, MT
The tank cycled till 10/23.
I added from Petsmart:
2 C.paleatus, med.
8 Hygrophylia, mostly stems with only three sets of leaves each.
1 Amazon Sword compacta, in good shape.
They all did great but 2 days later the water became cloudy. I did partial WCs but broke down and bought a cheesy whisper 10i internal power filter on 10/27 continuing WCs til water cleared up on 11/2.

Sky King

Jan 26, 2019
Billings, MT
11/17 confident the plants and fishbowl we're doing well I added cryptocoryne wendtii from the new LFS that had just opened. They said it was film culture, it was sold in a little sealed tub for $10. Probably very familiar to all of you but completely new to me. They were very healthy and I divided them into 4 plants.
11/24 took my first pic.
That's the end of 5 gallon fish bowl part 1. Maybe I can get some help at the end of 5 gallon fish bowl part 2.

20181124_100149.jpg