This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

45cm Garden Cube Nature Scape

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Beni, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Beni

Beni Member
    Premium Member

Local Time:
    4:27 PM
    This will be my third aquascape, and the first using an open top garden cube. I learnt a lot from my last two attempts and am really excited to have a good quality tank and equipment to scape for the first time (my last tank was makeshift / modified and didn't really work that well).

The equipment used:

45cm cube Aquafire aquarium
    Kessil A160 lighting
    Tunze CO2 regulator + ADA ceramic diffuser
    ADA Powersand Substrate
    Cal Aqua labs aqua soil
    Eheim classic 350 filter (am awaiting an upgrade to a Eheim Pro 3 250 as the classic doesn't have enough flow for my taste)

2nd
    September 2017
    The hardscape was complete and tank flooded. I wanted to cycle the tank without plants to get through the initial stage of brown gunk, diatoms etc before planting. Cycling was done completely with lights off.
    ayqbcz.jpg

30 September 2017

Added 8 Darwin algae shrimp (Aus equivalent to amano shrimp). Aquarium had thin layer of brown gunk, and wood had some white fungus growing. Shrimp made short work of the clean up :)

5th October 2017

Planting day! I ordered the following online:

Utricularia graminifolia for main carpet
    Blyxa japonica
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Ludwigia repens
    Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
    Anubias nana
    Native Weeping Moss
    Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompakt'

v8haon.jpg

11th October 2017

Almost a week in from planting and things are going well. I think cycling the tank before planting was a massive plus as the initial algae from cycling etc doesn't seem to be an issue at all, but I will monitor this.

So far I'm happy with results and the general layout, I look forward to hearing what you guys think :)

fypbbt.jpg
    xd5tht.jpg

fof0qs.jpg

Jason King and Christophe like this.
  2. Beni

Beni Member
    Premium Member

Local Time:
    4:27 PM
    I love seeing this when I first get home, is it too much to want to get another setup in the space to the right? :)

2z70q3d.jpg

Jason King likes this.
  3. jsarrow

jsarrow Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:27 AM
    Looking good, give it some time and your tank is going to look great. I have 2 A160 on my 90 P and really dig them.