450 Gal starfire aquarium, manzanita wood scape

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is a small tank, perhaps the right size for many of us, it's in a client's office.
The tank is a euro braces starfire glass made by LeMar in LA area. Nice tank. Lighting is about a tad under 2 W/gal and then it's more T12 lighting than PC(one bank only).

CO2 is done via 4x AM100 reactors and there are 6 top of the line ehiems on this tank, 2 with internal heaters and 2 x 40 W UV's.

Sediment is Black flourite sand.

CO2 is measured and will be controlled via aprtial pressure meter and Neptune controller using the mV input and scaling the out puts to mV = 20 mV for each ppm of CO2. A 50 Ohm resistor is used for this conversion since input is in mA.

Wood is all old, aged Manzanita and a single piece of Redwood root for terracing only.

The display will be fairly simple, hair grass, some dwarf hygro, a few swords in the back, some Crypts, open in the middle, and anubias on some of the branches, the wood needs to be shown through, not covered too much.

After having worked with these folks together for several projects now, we will start doing smaller versions for other clients. We have an excellent carpenter, plumbing person, a LFS with good work and basics, and then myself. For even larger projects, we employee Tenji for large scale public sized aquariums.

This is not just me, I do the scaping and after work mostly. It's a team and includes the client's input more than anything. These are made for them and their taste.

This tank should be fairly easy to care for, Tony placed a semi automated water change system in the office that's hidden from view. Very easy and not mess/work to change 50%.

Ehiems are also very easy to care for, and with low light, this is going to be a fairly easy tank to maintain. 1000 Green neons will go in here. Perhaps CRS and Amanos.

The goal is to have the balls of schooling fish dart from one group of wood to the other.

450Galstarfire1.jpg

Ceasarhardatwork.jpg

detailsofthe450.jpg

ehiemfiltersx6.jpg

Enjoy

Need to plant it sometime soon.

The tank has been leak tested, and ran, and the wood and hardscape have been water tested for stability also.

Nothing moves.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ehiemx6sideview.jpg

frontviewof4501.jpg

I think I'll use hair grass "belem". That will stay shorter and darker green.

The lighting will be low but rather interesting since the front 1/2 is angled at 45 degree towards the rear.

Less algae on the front and better light strike on the fish.
You cannot tell the terraced effect much here and we have not planted it yet.

Regards,
Tom Barr

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for sharing, Tom -- hope you remember to show us the "after" pics, too.

Actually, I shouldn't even look at threads like this ... always wishing for things I can't have... :(

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

Yes, thanks for sharing...........very nice!

Question,

was it your decision re: c02 setup and the multiple eheims, or the lfs?

I know that it is a group effort and was curious how the work/decisions were split up..........

Would a small sand or bead filter work for this size?

Curious as always..........

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The multi Ehiem was the client's decision really, we just work there;)

Some are no brainers, some want more involvement, some take care of the tank themselves and want familiar equipment.

I supply mostly art, hardscape ,materials, planting, theme, consulting, but folks over rule me often.

They also pay for it for the next few years:cool:
Then they learn the lesson the hard way. We all do this to some extent.

You have to learn it for yourself, I can tell you, insist etc, but many will try something different no matter what you tell them.

This tank went much smoother. The folks here have all worked together prior.
I make the LFS look good and the final result. So I have to fix and modify all the mistakes that have been made from everyone.

That's the way it goes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

bibbels

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Tom Barr;35990 said:
They also pay for it for the next few years:cool:
Then they learn the lesson the hard way. We all do this to some extent.

You have to learn it for yourself, I can tell you, insist etc, but many will try something different no matter what you tell them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

That's so very true. I know well learning lessons the hard way - or should I say the expensive way.

Tom Barr;35976 said:
This is a small tank, perhaps the right size for many of us, it's in a client's office.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Surely you're kidding about the small part, lol. I guess a snorkel will be needed if you have to do anything with it full :eek: . Nice to look at but not for me. My 125 is as big as I ever want for a personal tank.

AABatteries

Junior Poster
Apr 25, 2009
Wow, looks like a fun build. I've never seen a 450g planted starfire, yet alone planted starfire, only reef. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Any chance of getting a plumbing diagram or at least a better shot from above the tank showing the in/outlets into the tank?

I really like the idea of the light in the front angled backward to "spotlight" the fish vs. lighting the inside glass. It sounds like it'll have the Japanese reef display type feel to it...

-
S

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
Its been 8 months since the first post. What is the end result of this Tank?!? And are there any current pics of your 180gallon tank Tom?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The tank developed a leak, so it's being turned into a riparium.