42 G : The Lost Islands

seetharam

Junior Poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hi All

Im new here, just wanted to showcase my tank and get some inputs. This tank was redone on 26th May'09. The picture below was taken on 01 Jul'09.

ADATank-01Jul09.jpg

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Really cool! I wish i make something like this, but if i could make 1 sugggestion, in the Netherlands it is not a good practice so create a "hole" in the middle of the tank. Best is to put it at 1/3 of each side (golden ratio) and to let that path slide to the back of the tank so you have the illusion "What is behind that wood" if you know what i mean.

Photo tip: Remove the co2 and the co2 checker next time, gives you better pics!

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Cool Little Work of Art

I kinda think the drop checker is cool.

It looks like one of those hand-blown, little works of art. :cool:

Beats my test tube and tubing drop checkers. :eek:

Biollante

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

What a beatiful setup! I have always loved rummy noses and cardinals so am happy about the fish choice.

Please post some details on tank size, lighting, ferts, etc??? The more the better.

Did you take the pic as the tank is running normally day to day? Or is the tank 'posed' lol

seetharam

Junior Poster
Jul 10, 2008
@ Gilles: Thanks, Agree with the pointers that you gave, but this tank is still not mature and if everything goes well, the moss right at the back will grow out and the river will appear to fade into the back ... have got the same effect in my previous scape .... will post pictures of that soon.

@ Biollante: Yep i agree :) , I like the glasswares too, and since this is my main tank have used glassware for the rest of the equipment as well like the Lily Pipes and Ceramic Diffuser.

@ Gerry: Thanks for the appreciation, Rummy Noses have been my favourite for a long time now. Initially this tank had only them , added the cardinals to give a dash of vibrant color :) , the picture was taken in running condition a day after water changes, which i do weekly. I used to maintain a weekly journal of all my tanks, but now its whenever i find the time .... just to look at how the tank has evolved.

Specifications are as below:

Tank Specifications

Tank : 36x18x18 Inches
Lighting : 2x24 Watts T5HO 6500K + 8000K + 2x36 Watts PLL 6500K :8 Hrs
Filteration: Eheim 2217 with Lilly Pipe Set
Substrate : ADA Amazonia II and ADA Forest Sand (Branco)
CO2 : Pressurized at 4 bps, diffused through Ceramic Diffuser
Dosing : ADA DO AQUA! Be Green + ADA Green Brighty Step 2.

Plants :
Fontinalis antipyretica (Willow Moss)
Anubias Nana
Anubias Petite
Anubias Coffifolia
Anubias Narrow Leaf (Not sure of the exact name)
Bolbitis heudelotii (African water Fern)
Microsorum pteropus (Narrow Leaf Java Fern)
Cryptocoryne Wendetti Brown
Cryptocoryne Parva
Rotala Rotundifolia
Cobra Grass

Fauna :
10 Amano Shrimps
60+ Cherry Red Shrimps
4 Ottos
3 SAE's
1 Sunset Platy
3 Hengel
18 Rummy Nose Tetra
18 Cardinal Tetras
3 American Flag Fish

@ Crystalview: Thank You for your appreciation

@ Sujoy: Thank You for your appreciation, Have posted the journal of this tank on IAH as well, its in the Aquascaping section, specifications are as above

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Just Nosy

I like your choice of filtration gives five or six turns of the tank an hour, I think.

Are you in the UK or using UK measurements? :eek:

I really do like the look of the Lily Pipe set.:cool: Have you used them before? How efficient are they in providing circulation, any problems with nutrient or CO2 distribution?

Just nosy. :eek:

Biollante

seetharam

Junior Poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, the filtration is approx 5-6 times the tank volume, Im based out of India and we use UK measurements.

I love the neat look it gives against using conventional equipment which looks very cluttered. Have never faced a problem with Water Circulation or Distribution, i think it does a pretty good job, Also can use the lily pipe for aerating the water just by lifting it up.

If you notice, i have placed the CO2 diffuser exactly opposite to the water flow outlet, so all the co2 bubbles coming up get hit by the water current and get carried all over the tank which i feel improves the CO2 distribution as well.

Only flip side is that the Lily pipes accumulate algae on the inside and if not cleaned will look bad. I clean it once a month when i clean my filter, just some liquid bleach and lily pipe cleaning brush, within 10 min they are like brand new :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Excellent, I really do like the 'uncluttered' and I think 'futuristic' look.:gw I was wondering about keeping the pipe set clean, that doesn't sound bad at all.

I did notice the CO2 diffuser arrangement, that is my trick.:cool:

Is this your own design?

I guess rather than ask a bunch of questions. :eek: Would you elaborate on your design process?

Biollante

seetharam

Junior Poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yep, This is my design as in i did the scaping from a scratch, To be very frank, this layout is pretty common , the classic Amano style scape, so did not use many brain cells here :D , but when i first set this tank up it was done quite differently, it was a lot heavier on the left side compared to the right, it was set up primarily for IAPLC 2009, a week after the tank matured and i got my shot, i ripped it out and redid the hardscape around a little, redid the moss and ferns and arrived at what you see in the picture now.

Below is a picture of the same tank setup for IAPLC 2009 and 3 months into its life span of 6 months. Will post the close to completion picture after IAPLC results are announced :)

10ADATank-27Feb09.jpg

seetharam

Junior Poster
Jul 10, 2008
Regarding my process for aquascaping design, i like to visualize a lot. I first get my hardscape in place, then i fiddle around with it a lot to see what works best, then i visualize the placement with different varieties of plants, then when i get a picture of something i like , i start up on the tank and scaping.

I would love to derive inspiration from Nature by looking at it, but with my work schedules i dont get to travel that much. So i browse the net for pictures of nature and keep saving the ones i really like to my hard drive, go through some of them very closely, in terms of the way the plants grow etc ..... but i feel i have not even scraped the surface of drawing inspiration from Nature.

I have a Rock setup with only Cuba, in which i purposefully did not follow too many rules of Iwagumi and just followed the placements what looked nice to me .... meaning random with a little flow to the whole arrangement ..... thats how its in nature too right ..... random :) will post a picture of that tank in a day or two.

Well to sum it up .... my design process involves a lot of visualization of the final scape and reverse engineering that in my brain to do the scaping in the present :cool:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
You Have Inspired Me

Japanese gardening?

Very meditative, I see that.

Start with the rocks so to speak.

You have inspired me to give this a try.

I am (though I must say so myself:( ) pretty good with the water quality, plant and critter growing thing; I have no talent for design. The other creature that shares my space (and they call me evil) makes loud noises, wanting tanks that look good and aren't "some science experiment". :mad:

I will start with rocks.

Biollante:)