This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

40 Gallon Breeder Lighting for High Light Plants

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Silversea, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Silversea

Silversea Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:36 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I am going to be putting together my first serious aquascape and need a little direction on how much lighting to provide.
    I want to grow some pretty high light demanding plants such as Rotala Macranda. I was thinking of getting 2 of the AquaticLife 2*39 watt fixtures that has one each of the 6000k and Roseate 650nm bulbsin each fixture.
    Would this be to much light even if I were providing fertilization via EI dosing and providing pressurized Co2? I don't want to create a huge algae problem.
    If it is two much light to run, for say 6-10 hours a day, would it be feasible to only run all 4 for about 2-3 hours a day for a noon-time burst of light?

2. Silversea

Silversea Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Really, Nobody has an answer or opinion?

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

IMO/IME two fixtures is way overkill for a 40 gal tank. A breeder is shallow as it is...

Why not try 1 fixture for 8 hrs a day and go from there.

More plants are c02 dependant than high light dependant.

FYI - the site was down and could not post, and note this IS a volunteer effort to post a reply..

ez for a single post to get lost....plus, I know for a fact that your specific question in relationship to the size tank has been asked and answered many times....