40 breeder

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hi i am going to set up a 40breeder 36x18x16 it will be rimless with the bulk heads in the bottom it will be filter by an resun canister it will have pressurize co2 tank and the substrate will be amazonian 1 and 2 with power sand and decorative sand the plants that i want to keep will be bacopas carolianas,echinodorus tenelus,crypts,anubias,rotola macandra green,xmas moss blyax japonica,dwarf hairgrass,and another hight light stem the problem is that i don't know how many watts of t5ho will get the plant to grow fast i want to keep it to a minimum watts because i don't what to spend more than 200 for 4-39watts t5ho will 2-39watts light do the job or a need to have more than 2 39t5ho i will put photos of the aquarium tomorrow :D :)

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
That's quite the list of plant species. Do you have an aquascape already in mind for this?

You may want to cut down on the numbers initially and tweak as you go.

For light I would try to get three or four tubes over the top for even lighting. Since it's rimless a pendant hanging a foot or two above the tank would look nice and will help even up your lighting as well.

You probably won't need all that much lighting so I'd go with two of the 39W single tubes to start especially if it's suspended above the tank a bit. This will also make it much easier to dial in your CO2. Having lower light but adequate CO2 will get you better/faster growth than high light inadequate/unstable CO2.

Do post photos when you get them. How are you dosing the CO2?

-
S

R33 GTR;41996 said:
Hi i am going to set up a 40breeder 36x18x16 it will be rimless with the bulk heads in the bottom it will be filter by an resun canister it will have pressurize co2 tank and the substrate will be amazonian 1 and 2 with power sand and decorative sand the plants that i want to keep will be bacopas carolianas,echinodorus tenelus,crypts,anubias,rotola macandra green,xmas moss blyax japonica,dwarf hairgrass,and another hight light stem the problem is that i don't know how many watts of t5ho will get the plant to grow fast i want to keep it to a minimum watts because i don't what to spend more than 200 for 4-39watts t5ho will 2-39watts light do the job or a need to have more than 2 39t5ho i will put photos of the aquarium tomorrow :D :)

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
well i am going to dose co2 presurzied and a buddy recomend me som MH from fishneedit.com are dose are good i want like a 150watts mh do the job

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I don't think you NEED MH, only if you want..

a 40 gal breeder does not need that much light to grow the species you list.

If you insist on getting a high light fixture, do what you can to mount the lights so they can be raised if desired.

I think you will have less issues using less light, but it is up to you. If you can lower/raise the fixture you can adjust as you want.

It is easier to supply a lesser stable demand of c02 than a higher one. Higher light = higher c02 demand = higher nutrient demand.

T5 will grow whatever you want in a 40 gal breeder.

I used T12 and no c02 and was able to grow a lot in this size tank bolbitus, crypts, anubias, etc.....

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
well some one tell me if this is a good idea a 70watts Mh and 2 39watts t5? pleas Tom Barr or some one....

The oder cuestion is that i will have amazonian 1 and 2 with power sand special and braco sand but i want to know how much do I need because i don't want to buy much because i am in a university budget in the ada web site said 33lt but i don't want to have a big slope?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Personally I'd just go with two separate 1x39w T5 with decent reflectors and call it a day. I'm running 2x54w on a 48 gal and finding it excessive. The T5's/T5HO's with individual reflectors are far more efficient than the old T8's or CF's meaning 1wpg goes a lot farther.

-Philosophos

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
R33 GTR;42212 said:
well some one tell me if this is a good idea a 70watts Mh and 2 39watts t5? pleas Tom Barr or some one....

Sorry you did not find my reply to be from someone trustworthy or knowledgeable..

Fortunately others with more of either will chime in and provide guidance.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
US 2 Cents

Just me, but I would listen to Gerry and Pilosophos, I think they are trying to save you a lot of money and a lot of headaches.:cool:

Gerry is awful dad-gummed smart and that young feller Philosophos is no slouch either.:)

Just my 50 plus years of experience and time spent reading.;)

My US $.02.

Biollante

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
Gerryd;42219 said:
Sorry you did not find my reply to be from someone trustworthy or knowledgeable..

Fortunately others with more of either will chime in and provide guidance.

no i did find your reply good but i was looking for more answer so i can sleep well jejejeje so i dont have to be scraching my head for all the alge thats is in my tank sorry for the bad english i am from Puerto Rico and this is going to be my first real aquascape and in PR thers 2 or 3 persons that have ADA substrate and thinking about high light and looking to have the best aquascape

Sorry Gerryd i like to have difrent opinions

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
hi last night at 2am y was hit by an idea and went to my backyard and took a driftwood a some rocks i have and this is what it looks like what do you thinks guys

DSC02808.jpg

Jeremy1

Prolific Poster
Aug 12, 2008
R33 GTR;42292 said:
hi last night at 2am y was hit by an idea and went to my backyard and took a driftwood a some rocks i have and this is what it looks like what do you thinks guys

DSC02808.jpg

I would use a larger rock on the left at the base of drift wood and even on the right. Your rocks are too uniform in size. Mix them up a little. Also, I would add more branchy drift wood projecting to the front and back of tank.

Jeremy

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
there's a person at plantedtank.net that sells great manzanita. you can contact him, search for: badcopnofish (jake) and send him a message telling your tank size and he will send you some pictures.

and he ships to puerto rico ! yo le compre 2 veces !

B

Brian20

yo voy a traer pronto Malaysian driftwood, no se si eso te ayude a lo que intentas hacer pero seque se ven bien.

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
well i am going to collect more driftwood whe you driftwood arives tell me so i can go and see it

Panda well i don't like much manzanita driftwood they are to slim and brittle
Panda ayer estabamos hablando los de aquarios plantados de PR y vamos a abrir el foro de CAPPR de nuevo y quisiera que participes ahy pq ya ame no no esta apoyando y se esta quedando atras si tu podriar poner tus acuarios en cappr te lo agradeceria

R33 GTR

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2009
R33 GTR;42498 said:
Hi today a got the aquarium but i need to clean it up and then post a pic
hi i know this tank is comparable to ada but in Puerto Rico i think this is the only guy that makes rimless aquarium and at low cost other make them with acrylic and the sell like ada jejeje and i am in a university buget

DSC02866-1.jpg

DSC02870-1.jpg

DSC02868-1.jpg