350 Gallon update(new pics)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Resized350galafter.jpg

resized3503.jpg

I replanted and removed all the black flourite and switched to good old cheap dolomite. I reduced the light from about 50-60 micromols at the bottom , to 30.

Easier to see the fish, nice sediment, happier client.

Tank is about 2 weeks old after the redo and complete tear down.
Tank is far from done, but should grow in a bit, I'll make some plant changes. Moss should take over the tree in the slightly off center spot. Sort of a leaf effect on a bonsai. On the left wall, there will be 1-2 EcoTech wavemakers to provide a high current experience for the fish and to clean the tank nicely. This means 3000-6000 Gallon/hr pulsed floweds down to about 800 gph.

Right now there is about 1000gph through the wet/dry filter, and separate loop for a large Ehiem 2250. And a 1500-2000gph wave continuous flow(this will be removed for the Ecotechs).
Added new white moon lights on a reverse light switch, so when the lights go off, the moon lights come on.

Still to do:
1. Add new return pump that's quieter.
2. Replumb to reduce bends/turns, head pressure.
3. Provide access to change a very old UV bulb.
4. Remove chiller loop and unit.
5. Add drip dosing
6. Add another auto feeder(one fell into the aquarium and is toast)
7. Install micro freezer for frozen food access at tank location(where chiller was)
8. Test lower lighting without HQI's running.

The issue for me is that removing the Metal halides also means no ripple sunlight effect, but I get better growth without them and cleaner etc.
The fish loading is high, some other issues occur since the tank is not touched much all week often times due to acess, but these can/are be/being addressed.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Beautiful work. How did you get those crypts in after a substrate change and have them looking like that without a massive die off? Or is that why they aren't as dense as the java fern?

I can't imagine how much time it takes to scape and maintain a tank like that.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've not found Crypts to melt that much personally.

I took the groups apart and planted them individually.
They will be much dense later:

redone350carnrummy.jpg

Old pic.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Tired of black flourite, it'd been a year and I wanted to get things looking different.
Dolomite was not my ideal choice, but the grain size and the color was spot on.

I've used it in other tanks without any sort of issue for 2 years now.
Also, if you pour vinegar on dolomite, it does not foam.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
You find crypts don't melt much? Any ideas as to what does trigger it? There are times that I've barely disturbed crypts and an entire stand just melts right off.

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
Philosophos;44496 said:
You find crypts don't melt much? Any ideas as to what does trigger it? There are times that I've barely disturbed crypts and an entire stand just melts right off.

too much light? :confused:

many say crypt melt is a myth to make children obey their parents. :p

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Royal farowella fry from this tank, now about 1"

not the best pic, but that's how it goes.
2fbfc940.jpg

Manged to nab 3 of them, likely a dozen or more in the main tank.
Counted about 40 eggs

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Not the best pics, but redid the wood and layout somewhat.

redone350214.jpg

Breeding has been consistent, Cory Pandas, and Sturisoma panamese have been breeding about once a month for the last 6 months now.
Plants have not grown in yet and I have some powerheads to hide still.

Wood is still leaching also.
But there is a lot more wood than the pics show.

This tank is a bugger to take a pic of, and the 2ft section is blocked by the built in wall.
I have about 2 hours a week to do any work on it.

gmartins

Junior Poster
Jan 21, 2011
hi,

it looks great. how interesting that the fish tend to avoid the lighter areas of tank. Is this always like this or was just the case when taking the pic?

cheers, G

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
gmartins;62355 said:
hi,

it looks great. how interesting that the fish tend to avoid the lighter areas of tank. Is this always like this or was just the case when taking the pic?

cheers, G

No, you can see them easily in person, the shadow overhangs are where the fish normally like to stay.
As the darker areas fill in more with plants, this will be nicer, but a bit harder to see the fish.

You can see many species because the white sand front allows them to feed and grub around, the flat cats are really neat fish.
There are about 50 plecos and the largest Gold nuggets I've ever seen anywhere.