This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32w on 10g too much?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by km9172, Jun 2, 2009.

1. km9172

km9172 Guest

I have 32w CF over an (odd size) 10 gallon tank. The light is about 2" from top of tank. I'm thinking this is way too much light for a "low light" setup.

Tank Size: 18w x 11d x 12h
    Light: Current Satellite SunPaq (20") (normally 40w CF, but I have a 32w in there).

The biggest question is: Can I stick an 18w CF bulb in there? When I looked at the ballast, it had 40w/32w on the sticker. I like the look of the fixture, and I have not found a T8 fixture that can go over open water (which I think would be ideal). I'd prefer to go the Aquasoil / light water column dosing method (which will involve replacing the substrate, ie tank rebuild)

Currently, I am dosing Excel, and have slow, but steady algae growth. Light is on 6 hours/day. Moderate planting, high flow via Rio 50 powerhead (but will need to slow it down when I go to low light...am going to get community female bettas)

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

That'd be a 100% over-watting. With CF, I'd almost worry about the bulb exploding. Bulb lifespans will shorten as you push wattage higher. If you like the fixture, get a new ballast for it. You could probably retrofit a T-5 or T-8 in there that's about 18w as well.

-Philosophos