This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

30" Deep Water - What lighting will be sufficient?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Spar, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Spar

Spar Guru Class Expert

I am thinking about dumping my 30" cubed paludarium with a hinge-front door and replacing it with a full 30"-cubed solid tank so I can fill it all the way up with water.

Question is, would a HQI Lighting unit with 1 250w bulb and 2 65w PC lights be sufficient enough for that depth? 380watts

The tank itself is 110g's. With the 250w HQI bulb, it would be 3.5wpg.

Also, if the depth wouldn't be a problem with the HQI bulb, would a 150w HQI bulb be sufficient enough as is? 2.5wpg?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: 30" Deep Water - What lighting will be sufficient?

That would be plenty of light.

I would add more gravel in the tank personally.

I would build up a side or the rear or the middle to add the heigth and plant the higher light stwem plants around these areas, trhen lower light plants around the base/deeper regions.

It's plenty of light, I grew a number of plants at 54w of PC light in a 24" cube w/2" max depth gravel.
    You have a lot more than that and only 6" more depth in the tank. A 250W HQI is about = to 400W or more of PC light FYI.
    So 65X2 + 400= 530 so I'd say so...................

Run the PC lights for 11hours, the MH for 7-8.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Spar

Spar Guru Class Expert

Re: 30" Deep Water - What lighting will be sufficient?

Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize the equivalency of HQI vs PC wasn't 1:1.

Can I stick with the 150W MH (HQI) light then and still be fine? I assume so.

I also like your landscape idea. I have flat gravel bedding right now. Kind of bland.