29G planted tank

B

Brian20

Hi all know about my planted tank but I will make this thread for my tank only. I dont want to continue beggining new threads for each question.

Well my tank is 3 weeks old (I think). The plants growing fine, except HC (still trying to grow it). I want to make a dutch scape or something near that. I like a lot Echinodorus plants so it will be like a dutch-Echinodorus tank.

Now I have a algae issue. Cyanobacteria is growing, CO2 is helping it a lot :confused: because it bubbles like crazy. I have a hair algae problem too but now is dieing.

I consider th tank high tech.

The new question. I want to buy the Custom flo water system.

I know that it is more for saltwater but I hear here that flow are good for CO2 and nutrients reach to the plants. also with a compact grow there can form dead spots.

Anyone use this?

I also want a digital (battery) thermometer. I saw some in E-bay but they are ridiculous cheap, I can trust this people?

Brian

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Brian,

Did you mean this one?

Customflo Water System - Complete Kit | Custom Flow Systems | Plumbing Parts | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

If so, you can use a product called loc-line along with some other plumbing parts to route your own outlets. The loc-line can be snapped together to route the way you want. It is flexible but holds the final position well.

ModularHose.com - Loc-Line Modular Hose System

Yes, dead spots are an issue. High flow and good current to see all the plants/leaves sway IS important to planted tanks as well. It brings nutes and c02 to the plants and removes waste products.

Most of the digital thermometers you will find will work well. Try and buy a known name if possible. Your LFS should have on readily available. They are very inexpensive for the most part.

B

Brian20

I will try thermometer in e-bay a friend of PR forum bought one and is working fine.

I will buy the customflo. Still my plants are looking very good except the HC. I read tht potted HC tends to die but I still have hopes. I also have 2 emersed species but already adapts to submersed and growing well. One is parrots feather (yeah I dont know that this plants grows a lot) But is pretty and looks good in the aquarium. The other is proserpinaca palustris, grow slower but making submersed leaves. The proserpinaca and rotola walichii are the slower grower. All my other stems plants are growing a lot:D

B

Brian20

Still have the cyano growing and im geting really mad.

What I can do? I make w/c but nothing happend. I will raise the nitrate a lot to see if that works.

what other things can do?

purigen helps? another resin that absorb organic compound helps? what I can do?
I DONT WANT A METHOD THAT DAMAGE PLANTS

Always thanks for the replys

Brian

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Not sure how much light in your tank.

I may not be so good for fighting other kinds of algae, but I've won the BGA.:rolleyes:
I think BGA is very light-depending than other algae. I reduced the lighting period to
may be 6 hours. I could see it shrink down and thin out within a few days,
then it just disappeared.

It didn't come back. Even when I bumped back the light. I just don't know why.

Hope I can win the Spirogyra in my tank some day :mad:

B

Brian20

reduce time mmm sounds good for me. Unlike other people I truth that the light not cause Algae but help it to grow. So that is not the main problem, shure a blackout or reducing time will affect the algae but also the plants. I will think on it. Another option?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hola Brian,

BGA can be caused by several items singly or in conjunction with each other.

I would look at the following:

Filtration - a dirty filter and/or high organic load. Is your filter well maintained and MATURE? Is your filter perhaps undersized for the tank and/or the fish load?

Are you overfeeding? Too many fish?

Manual removal and gravel vacs help as well!!!!!

Macro dosing:

Low N has also been a cause. I would simply up my EI dosing by 50% from whatever it is now. It won't hurt to increase the other macros/micros as well.

C02 - low and/or unstable c02.

Light = too much and/or too long a duration. Try going to 6 hours daily for a few days along with daily increased EI dosing and a 50% water change and see what happens.

Time - it may take several days for the growth to stop and disapear completely.

You need to first STOP the new growth and the rest will go away after the cause(s) are fixed :)

Once it is eliminated, you can increase the light alone and see if that brings it back. If not, then maybe reduce EI from the higher level and see if that does it. This way you should eliminate each factor as a possible root cause. It may not be the same each time and may be due to several factors acting in concert.

Hope this helps.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
What Gerry Said!

Hi Brian,

What Gerry said!

CO2 and nutrients, with cyanobacteria, clean it up, vacuum it up, clean the filters and get 30 ppm CO2 in then look at the nutrients in particular Nitrogen as long as you are doing weekly (hint: more frequent) water changes, you really can dose high even 50% more, even more than that.

This has been going on for some time, decisive action, no shortcuts, you are so close.

Biollante

B

Brian20

ok, I will clean the filter.

Im so busy this week and I dont clean my filter for a long time.

My filter are big (13 liters) if you see the video you see that the filter is the big gray box. Well I will clean it, dose more nitrate and make w/c. and reduce time in light.

thanks to all.

B

Brian20

The video is in othe thread.

this is:

and one f my pic in my shop-in-home:p

Pedidogrande1052-1.jpg

B

Brian20

almost all the stem plants in the pic reach the surface yesterday:D

B

Brian20

I will make rescape tommorow to make it more dutch scape.

I was lookig dutch scapeand the use of pumos and water currents.

Im thinking to buy a powerhead, what reccomend me?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Brian,

I would advise either the Koralia Hydor Nano or Hydor model I.

I think the nano would be good, the model I may be too much....

B

Brian20

That GPH are high for a 29G tank?

I can also buy a lot more cheaper power head.

A wavemaker style is good? you know, for not make a single flow that can move the stemsplants a lot.

B

Brian20

I bought a koralia mini in E bay maybe 2 weeks to wait:(

I will put now hands on aquarium to move some plants

pics soon!

B

Brian20

new pics:

the pic not make justice:mad:

pecera30sep2009013.jpg

Still in proccess,

comments, opinions, critique please!!