This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

27W PC desk lamp for a 6 gallon

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fjf888, Jan 11, 2008.

1. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    I have been wanting to convert my 6 gallon tank into a plant-tiny fish tank. The dimensions are 16W, 14H, 10.5D. The stock lighting that comes with the tank is an 8W t-5.

I have a 27W PC Lights of America desk lamp sitting around. I was thinking this may be a better lighting choice for a 6 gallon then the stock lighting. I think VaughnH is using this with a 2.5 gallon tank. Will this lighting be sufficient to slowly grow something more then java fern? I am looking for a low maint tank for my office with excel dosing.

The tank has integrated biowheel filtration, would it make sense to ditch that for an small internal filter?

Thanks

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I no longer have that little tank, but the light is now a desk lamp - it's original purpose. I don't think it will be enough light for a 6 gallon tank. The "reflector" is non-esistent, and it has to be about 6 inches above the water to get the light spread you would want. Even Java Ferns want a little light!

3. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that would be likely case, since it was barely enough for your 3.