This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

24" T5 on 40B

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by slipfinger, Jul 6, 2017.

1. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I am embarking on my next project, which centres around 40B's 36" x 18" x 15".

I'm currently sourcing lights, which will be T5's.

I'd like to go with a hydroponics light but can only find 24" or 48".

I'm guessing a double T5 will give me plenty of light considering the height of the 40's?

Any thoughts or experience on using a double 24" light on this tank? Will it be enough light to grow most everything and will the shorten length cause issues?

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

x4 will be high enough to grow anything
    odysea off ebay sells fixture that will fit perfectly, 39w each
    I use this fixture on my 40 breeder
    if you want to go 24", spread will lack on the sides and corners

3. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Agreed, the drop off is more than you would expect. And par also drops a bit as you get to the last 1/4 of the bulb on each side.

When I had 48" lights over a 60" tank, I used to put crypts and other low light plants around the perimeter, as stems would struggle with the low par.

4. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Not what I wanted to hear, but figured this was the case before I even posted.

Regarding # of bulbs, would a 36" dual bulb on 15" depth tank do the trick?

I'm thinking 4 bulbs would give anything in the tank a severe sunburn?

EDIT: On the other hand I was not considering the 18" width. 4 bulbs would probably be needed give a good spread?

#4 slipfinger, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

What are you trying to grow?

4 bulbs you can always raise lighting extra costs
    dual bulb will grow a decent amount of things

6. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

This will be a grow out, experimental tank, so there could be anything and everything in the tank at any given time.

I do not want light to be a limiting factor, but I also don't want to break the bank..... I know, I want the best of both worlds.

Ideally I want a 4 bulb with multiple banks, outside together and inside together, not sure if this is even an option. But finding a quad T5 at a descent price or a used one in descent condition is turning out to be a challenge, around my parts anyways.