24/7 Water Dripper with EI Dosing?

TactusMortus

Junior Poster
Dec 5, 2011
I am looking at trying to make my life a bit easier and eliminate weekly water changes. I don't want to do any tank drilling so I was thinking I would use a nano overflow box on my 120 gallon tank that runs to a drain line. Then have a dripper that is dripping 24/7 after running the water through a carbon block to eliminate the chlorine. If I dialed it in right and had it doing say a 10% water change daily. Would this work and would it eliminate the need for 50% weekly water changes? Would it effect my EI dosing as well? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Drip systems tend not to be that stable IME.
Get a dosing pump.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
feh;114867 said:
I agree... too easy to overdose otherwise.

Poster is not talking about dosing ferts via drip. They are talking about dripping in clean water and having water go into a drain via an overflow box. I would still not use a drip system. I would use a dosing pump that's designed for continuous use.

I think this would most likely work fine. I read something on a reef forum that said that large weekly water changes are more effective, but not by much. You would need to adjust your ferts. From what I saw by plugging in the numbers in this calculator, you would need to reduce the amount of ferts. http://rota.la/ei/

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
There are no ferts to dose for reef tanks unless you have a lot of macro or something in a LNS. The only thing I dose other than top off water is Alk and Ca. 2 part dosing. And you're right I misread the OPs post.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
thegasman;114874 said:
Poster is not talking about dosing ferts via drip. They are talking about dripping in clean water and having water go into a drain via an overflow box. I would still not use a drip system. I would use a dosing pump that's designed for continuous use.

I think this would most likely work fine. I read something on a reef forum that said that large weekly water changes are more effective, but not by much. You would need to adjust your ferts. From what I saw by plugging in the numbers in this calculator, you would need to reduce the amount of ferts. http://rota.la/ei/

Several articles have shown that large weekly water changes are much more effective.

Some folks have used tap water are a very low rate to continuously change water and have a sump overflow weir.
That works fairly well.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
feh;114877 said:
There are no ferts to dose for reef tanks unless you have a lot of macro or something in a LNS. The only thing I dose other than top off water is Alk and Ca. 2 part dosing. And you're right I misread the OPs post.

I think you may have also read my post inncorectly, or maybe I wasn't clear (wouldn't be the first time LOL). I didn't say anything about dosing ferts into a reef tank. The link I provided is for dosing planted aquariums.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
Tom Barr;114883 said:
Several articles have shown that large weekly water changes are much more effective.

Some folks have used tap water are a very low rate to continuously change water and have a sump overflow weir.
That works fairly well.

I agree that large weekly water changes are more effective, unless your daily water changes are large enough. Lets say you change 50% per week. You would need to change closer to 15% to 20% daily to get close to the effectiveness of the 50% per week water change. Depending on the tank size, that could mean a lot more water. I would rather just change the 50% plus a week myself. Water is crazy expensive here in Anthem, AZ.

Tom, what other advantages are there in doing a larger once a week water change versus using using double or triple the amount of water and doing daily water changes. Anything to do with CO2 etc...?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
thegasman;114946 said:
I agree that large weekly water changes are more effective, unless your daily water changes are large enough. Lets say you change 50% per week. You would need to change closer to 15% to 20% daily to get close to the effectiveness of the 50% per week water change. Depending on the tank size, that could mean a lot more water. I would rather just change the 50% plus a week myself. Water is crazy expensive here in Anthem, AZ.

Tom, what other advantages are there in doing a larger once a week water change versus using using double or triple the amount of water and doing daily water changes. Anything to do with CO2 etc...?

Well, it can depend on what you do with the waste water AFTER. Say you need to irrigate some plants in the landscaping, then daily option might work better for you, since you need X amount of water anyhow.
If conservation is the goal, then modifying other things, like slowing the growth rate and Energy usage via less light/higher efficacy light usage, perhaps emergents and going non CO2 etc.
Sort of depends WHERE you want your goal to be focused. You could modify EI and slowly reduce the dosing down till you hit the 1st signs of negative growth, then bump back up and then stick with that dosing rate, then reduce the water changes down to once a month, say 60-80%.

4-5 different ways to do this.