This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

220 - New Collaboration with Tom

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Gerryd, May 19, 2016.

1. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    4:08 AM
    Lovely list of fish!

I was told by Paul Loiselle that Garra vittatula is an amazing algae eater that leaves delicate plants alone. But I've never been able to track this fish down. I keep checking with the guys at The Wet Spot on Oregon, but so far nothing.

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Gotta say I'm inspired to look forward to when my Aquasoil is totally expended & I gotta start again. This is going to be great!

3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    8:08 PM
    Any updates Gerry on how this evolved or is evolving? A lot of people want to see

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

Well some news and a couple quick pics.....

1. My normal lighting is 15% MAX on all channels...Is pretty low light but I like it and so far, no algae issues of any kind. At times I will use 25% on the 6 tube channel. The darker pic is at the lower level and the brighter pic at 33% on the 6 tubes/

2. Struck out on most of my fish wish list.

NO dwarf cichlids of any kind.

None of the cory species I wanted

Only the gold nugget pleco was available. Very attractive fish.

No garra garra.

Got some regular farlowella.

So, I had to go with what they had available at the time.

I got the following fish:

.1. 4 gold nugget plecos - approx. 2". Very nice fish.

2. 6 farlowella acu - they don't move much but you can see they are build for high current. Will be interesting to observe them.

3. 50 otocinclus - I divided these among my 3 tanks.

4 30 - corydoras reticulatus - these went into the 220

5 30 - corydoras blochi blochi - these went into the 57 gal

6 15 - corydoras arcuatus - these went into the 75 where I had one remaining from a long time ago. Anyhoo, the new ones are TINY and so cute, but they are miniscule compared to their older roommate.

7 100 - marble hatchets - these went into the 220

8 60 - nannostomus trifasciatus - these went into the 220

9 250 - cardinal tetras - just 75 or less went into the 220 on a trial basis. The rest went into the 57 gal.

More words, pics, and a vid later, but here are two pics:

IMG_0220.JPG

and one at the normal lighting:

IMG_0232.JPG

5. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:08 PM
    That's a damn masterpiece. Wish you could have scored your initial fish list, but incredible nonetheless. Any concerns about the hatchets or the nannostomus trifasciatus jumping with no lid?

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi and thanks. Yes, MAJOR concerns for the hatchets, not so much THESE pencils as they hang lower in the water.

That said, on Friday I contacted TWO local glaziers looking to make low-iron glass tops for this tank and my other two...

I would use 3 panes for this tank, each 24x36. I would gut a cutout at one end for the CPR overflow and tubes.

So, I hope to get these maybe this week if all goes well. Not that hard of a job. Just need to send them the actual dims today for where the cutouts will be. I want to see if they can add a mice curve to the cutout instead of a straight line, if that makes sense.

Yes, I wish I had my original list as well, but nothing I could do.

One of the plecos was now illegal, apistos in general are out right now, source of panda garra lost their breeding female, etc.

I am still looking for dwarf cichlids, just may need to wait awhile.

BTW, the left back corner, you will see is more gold/yellow than the rest of the tank. This is the MANZY leaching and if I used carbon that would be gone. So, most likely 3-5 weeks more before all manzy leaching is complete. There is a LOT of freaking wood in there.

All said, I am THRILLED with the look. Very low maintenance with no plants and I now doubt I will ever add any. Nothing to clean from my overflow teeth now in 6 weeks :) I like no c02, especially now with a high fish load.

The two large bala sharks were a sentimental gift from a friend that moved to WA state, but they will go soon, as they are really starting to put on size lol The danios MAY go as they are very active compared to all the other fish.

The reticulated cories also spend a lot of time swimming mid-stream and even tried running with the danios for a bit :) They lost ha ha...

Later!

#26 Gerryd, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    8:08 PM
    Theres really not much more, done. I tried thinking of ways to accent the scape/design but its done, like said it is a masterpiece.

Tops, i've never experienced fish jumping out the water, what you got two/three inches before its rim, unless stress and co2, if your not worried aesthetically, iono how the top will look, but i don't really think its necessary.

A background of some sort, black, grey?

As well, why not the tannins? I think it would make for a better look and for the fish to feel more secure than they already are and make for a more natural look.

I'm as well very stoked on your corydoras selections and hope you update pics on those

8. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Fantastic once again! Can't wait to see videos.

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Wish granted :)

Will get some HD up later this week or next as the water clears....

[video=youtube_share;PWHWO3RrUzQ]

2 people like this.
  10. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not sure what you were thinking to 'accent' it, but please stop :) I am not changing it anyway, no offense.

Tops, plenty of fish jump and I have lost plenty of fish over the years,, FYI swordtails were used for jet research :) Just the other day I walked into the room and the cats were staring down at a giant danio that had just jumped out... tossed it back in and was fine, but lost a good dozen of them over the last year, finding them on the floor.

No background, the tank is designed/setup as a walkaround. Plus, you would lose a lot of the clarify/light of the entire tank that way. No thanks.

Tannins, only will last so long anyway. Once the manzy is leached, the tank would clear naturally over time. Then how to get it back? Additives, peat, etc? No thanks again :)

I will get some cory pics up. I really had wanted 12-15 fish of approx. 6-8 species, but just could not make it happen. I happen to think they look good as a mixed shoal and have done this in the past. Both smaller tanks are single species cories at the moment.

Thanks!

#30 Gerryd, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  11. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

A few items.

1. I got an estimate to make glass lids for the 220. Would have been 3 sections of 24x36 each. One would have a 3x6 cutout on one end for the CPR overflow.

I wanted low iron glass and they would not consider less than 3/8. The estimate was almost $500. I politely declined and went to Home Depot earlier. I built two custom screen frames and used the black pet screening. Works great and cost approx. $35 and an hour or so of my time. I want to try a lighter screen but works well.

2. I will now grab another 100 hatchets as approx. 20-30 have already jumped out. One jumped out in front of me this morning.

3. Went to the old stand by of scrambled eggs to get the pencils, hatchets, and the cardinals eating. As usual, was a big hit with the cardinals and pencils as it breaks up into many small pieces they can handle with their small mouths. Some floats which allow the hatchets to feed also.

4. I found some micro pellets which the cardinals really like. The ones in the 57 gal are getting fat quick as the tank is smaller and easier to feed them and less competition.

5. I asked Tom to create a ready to assemble (RTA) hardscape for my 36x18x18 57 gal. He agreed and we are kicking some ideas around now.

6. All is going well. I really dig the no plants = no c02 = less light (much) = no nutrient dosing = easier management. Nothing ever in the overflow teeth, etc.

7. Just need to wait out the manzy leaching, but it DOES look nice while it lasts, but I prefer the clear water, myself.

That's it. really. I am following up on some panda garra and some other fish and will keep you posted.

Later.

12. kb27973

kb27973 Guest

Local Time:
    10:08 PM
    Looks cool. I don't envy you trying to net fish with all that wood... ;) I got 5 Panda Garra from Liveaquaria a few weeks ago. They are out of stock now. Awesome fish. They are like giant ottos.

Ken

#32 kb27973, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  13. SwampGremlin

SwampGremlin Member

Local Time:
    Lately ive been thinking about building my tank in the wall to be seen from 2 rooms like through my bedroom an living room. Your tank looks cool i dont know how long i would be able to resist putting moss or plants in myself. Also do you live in Florida? i started to use 100% Tap water down here in Cape Coral FL and boy i can really tell what plants cant stand the tap water in comparison to the R/O water + GH booster and when i used 100% tap my HC started growing like nuts but with R/O grew alot slower. Still learning but alot of your Videos explaining how to build a cerges reactor ect helped me out a bunch. Keep the Videos coming and leave Tom alone so he can build a new tank for himself and post it aswell =)

14. dudebeach

dudebeach Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Beautiful setup! I love the wood layout.

15. PEdwards

PEdwards Junior Poster

Local Time:
    That's looking great Gerry. Simply out of curiousity and potential future personal aquariums, have you considered adding large emergent plants such as Echinodorus or similiar stuff in there? If so, how and would you do it?