220 - New Collaboration with Tom

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well it has been a long time since my last post and even longer since a new topic... I hope all are well....

Quick note to say that the tank turns 5 next month and to celebrate I have asked Tom to do a new scape (the third now) for the 220. He has agreed to my delight...

I have thought a lot about what I want this time (again) and have communicated my basic desires to Tom, who has a new concept ready...

I am not going to say much about it as we hope to have it done by end of June anyway.

I am sure it will be wonderful and it will be nice to see Tom again and 'assist' him :)

I am expecting a pallet of hardscape materials sometime next week, which will be the first time I see them, so excited about that.

That's it for now. The tank hardware has NOT changed in years now, same sump, twin ATI, c02, etc.

Just the fish have changed...16 or so large giant danios, two large bala sharks, some bleeding hearts, and 8-9 remaining cardinals. No plants now except for some nice green algae on the rocks. I have chocolate bushy nose breeding in this tank AND my 57, so the tank is very healthy and mature.

Ok, will post later when I have something solid to show or tell.

Take care.

Gerry

Reactions: 6 people

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well, here are two pics of the finished product, but DRY. There are approx 20 rocks weighting it down and the many has already turned my tank water brown/tan/etc.

The stone is Blue Yuba river and collected by Tom. Wood is manzanita also collected by Tom. Sand is from the Monterey Bay area, so is all CA hardscape.

I wanted a hardscape tank with very few plants and to resemble a part of a stream or river where the current has captured wood that then got intertwined with some river rocks and the like.

I really like what Tom did and will add more detail and pics later.

I would say 2 weeks min b4 thinking of removing the stones and perhaps 4-6 weeks for the water to clear from the manzy.

Later

Reactions: 2 people

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
btw, 'really like' is a gross understatement. I am thrilled and delighted with Tom's design and is all I had hoped for. For the third time in a row now, he has really gotten what I was after.. and it didn't take a lot of discussion either. Per Tom, I am not a 'meddler' as a client, so he is gratified :)

Again, Tom worked hard and quickly and it really is fascinating to watch it take shape.

Very happy to have done this.

We tossed around a few ideas for the next scape already and we discussed a reef....

Ok, more pics and stuff later/

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
SwampGremlin said:
Looks great ill enjoy watching it take shape. Time well spent, there are alot of nice pieces of wood there;)

Thanks, but it IS in shape lol There is only the hardscape. Will be planted very lightly. A tiny bit of moss and some needle leaf java in back.

I wanted a hardscape. Will be very low light and low maintenance.

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Gerryd said:
Thanks, but it IS in shape lol There is only the hardscape. Will be planted very lightly. A tiny bit of moss and some needle leaf java in back.

I wanted a hardscape. Will be very low light and low maintenance.

I agree to many plants would cover that wonderful wood work anyways.either way both set ups you that ive seen of yours looked really cool. Always nice to change it up once and awhile.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
I love the hardscape. Its the planting and coming together where things are fudged up. So with the little bit of planting going on, lets make this tank, not break it.

Possibly Tom's best work hardscaping?

Me personally would love to puff the magic dragon on this one.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Many thanks for the kind words.

As far as plants, I may very well NOT add any at all. I like the way it looks now and want to wait for the water to clear of the manzy tannins which could take some time. That said, MAYBE a bit of needle leaf java in the back and will use tiny/new plantlets per Tom suggestion. I also may add a TINY bit of anubias petite. That is it, but quite honestly, most likely NO plants at all. I may experiment and see, but doubt any will really stick, if you pardon the usage here.

For fish, Tom is suggesting some nice and/or rate plecos to live amongst the wood. I have some giant danios now (approx. 15) and I want a 4-6 inch schooler that really stands out. The danios will most likely go at some point in the future. I also want perhaps 2 dozen cories, perhaps 2-3 species overall. Tom suggests some garra garra for assistance with rock cleaning :)

Tom had the 3 Baensch Atlas' open as well as the old TFH encyclopedia, showing me various fish. He needs to send me a list...

Tom is going to send me a box of smaller stone and I will fit these in here and there to buttress up some of the branch ends and the like. Those are the only real 'changes' still outstanding.

Another wonderful job from Tom. So grateful he takes smalls clients such as myself...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
We actually went swimming at the river and I spotted plenty of nice well matching stones. Be a day or two before I can stop back by there.

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
Love this tank,

Maybe a large shoal of cory's and similar effort for my next set up.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well, a few items of note, at least to me :)

1. I removed 12 of the 16 'weight' rocks used to hold down the manzy. I did this slowly one at a time, and confirmed the wood is tight and in place.

There are 3 large keystone rocks holding the bigger sections down and those will remain another 1-2 weeks or so. Tank looks much better w/o the ones I removed.

2. I have ordered the following fish and will see what shows up:

Corydoras

30 - c.Sterbai

20 - c.adolfi

20 - c.agazziz

20 - c. melini

Garra Species

8 - panda garra flavatra(?)

Plecos

4 - gold nuggets

4 - Leopard frog

4 - Emperor

Misc

10 - Red farowellas

8 sturisoma aureum

Apistogramma Species

10 apisto nijsenni to join the pair I have

8 a.borelli

8 a. honglosi

8 a.pertensis

Other dwarf cichlids

15 crenicara filamentosa

8 microgeophagus altispinosa

Some of the dwarf cichlids will go in the two smaller tanks, really depends on what I actually end up with.

That is really about it. Water is clean and clear, but tinted. A 90% w/c will keep it at bay for approx. 12 hours only..

But, a few more weeks and will be much better. At that point I can also use activated carbon, as I would have to change it daily now lol

Still looking for my main schooler for this tank. I think I have the bottom and wood dwellers taken care of.....

Take care!

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
My I say that is a sick fish list.

I don't want to mess up your plans or upset any balance, but have you looked into corydoras super schwartzi cw028 i believe?

THESE VIDEOS ARE NOT MINE

I really like the first 3 you have chosen, i don't know the last one, if its green iono

To be honest, I never liked the mixture of different corydoras species, the shoal and school will look nicer being all one species.

Take all this with a grain of salt please.