This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

20gl shallow tank - Plant Farm

Discussion in 'Journals' started by fablau, Dec 2, 2017.

1. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:31 AM
    I hear you! And I am with you on the fear of increasing traces, we talked already about that.

What pUzzles me is that some plants got worse with the increase of traces, whereas I expected to get better... but of course, could simply be that all the plants that got better are now using more resources requiring more traces for the other ones that are still struggling... so more could be needed. In any case, there is just one way to find out: try to increase dosing. And that I will do! Thanks :)

2. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Sorry Deepgreen, I missed your posting here.

Yes, that’s a good idea, but I cleaned the substrate in the 75 recently (about 8 months ago) so it should be ok. Also, I often vacuum deeply in certain areas, so I don’t think there is a “clogging” issue in there. Also, tried to replace the substrate in certain areas already, and that didn’t help. Something is different in the water column or something else.

3. deepgreen

deepgreen Member

Local Time:
    9:31 AM
    Yes, I see your point. I also missed that you used some root tabs. It is strange that obviously small differences in tank conditions have such an impact given the plasticity and adaptability we observe in our plants.

4. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, factors may be more than we think. It is part of the "chaotic" concept, even a small difference, which may look insignificant taken alone, may have big effects along the line of multiple interactions inside a complex system. We could say that our tanks, even if extremely simplified, are a sort of mini-complex systems. Of course we can identify the major suspects in the main differences we see (in my case, different filter, size and light) but it is not always that simple. And as always, any experiment/change we make trying to understand where the problem resides, takes time to give us any feedback. At the end, what we need the most is time...

deepgreen likes this.
  5. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    4:31 PM
    Hey there fablau, I just set up an Ista reactor with the same pump. Yesterday was the first day for using this. I had an air pocket in the reactor that was half way down the reactor just like Kyalgae. Any idea why this happens?

6. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I think there are only three possibilities: either the reactor outflow is too restricted in some way, you are pumping too much Co2, or the reactor is oversized for that pump. What size is the reactor?

7. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    It's 8" long. it's doing better now. I can see a good vortex of the bubbles spinning around now. I sends a lot of micro bubbles into the tank. I think I'll try a piece of pinky filter in the bottom. I have a 1.2 drop from 7.6 to 6.4 I could try to lower the CO2. I would think that it's being mixed better in the water now that I'm using the reactor..

8. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    That's actually pretty much like my Sera, so it should be ok with that pump (assuming you have exactly the same I have, which is powerful enough). Do you have any pics of it, the connections and used tubes? That could help to spot any extra issues.

9. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Yeah I have the same pump. I don't see any leaks. And it has good flow.

1-10-18 786.JPG

1-10-18 787.JPG

10. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thanks for the pics, I have measured my Sera and it is actually 7 inches tall, so yours is taller. Bubbles could have a harder time to get out, which is a good thing, because Co2 gets mixed better (more dwell time...). Also, from your pic, your pump intake looks pretty similar to mine (similar black sponge, even though mine seems bigger), so.. I am just wondering if the pump intake could be restrained a little by the sponge, maybe that little enough compared to mine, to have less power from the outlet, hence the build up.

In any case, even if you have a little build up at the end of the day, I would not worry, your pH looks good and until that build-up dissolves overnight, you should be good to go ;)

11. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:31 AM
    Used to run the smaller Sera on the 75 gal. It would eventually get a 2"-3" bubble at the top every day. Still remained quiet and I didnt worry about it, just considered it wasted CO2

12. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks guys, I'm going to dial back the CO2 a bit and see if it makes a difference? I'll keep an eye on the PH as well.

13. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, you can try that. You could also get away with just 1 pH drop or a little less.

14. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    I have a off topic question. Someone suggested that I try a dimmer for my Twinstar 900s led. I don't know what type of dimmer to get? Any ideas?