20 Gallon Long Low Tech W/ Only Crypts And Anubias How Much To Dose?

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have a high tech that I dose EI.

I'm going to set up a low tech 20 gal long with no CO2.
The only plants that I'm going to use are a few different types of Crypts and Anubias.
I'll be doing a 50% WC every week.
I don't know how many ppm to dose my N P K and CSMB ferts?

I also don't know how many days a week I should be dosing?

Thanks for the help!!

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
As you are already dosing EI for the other tank I would suggest dosing the same thing on the same days to the new one. As for the dose, maybe 1/2 of the recommended EI is a good starting point.

You can adjust up or down depending on the plant response. As the biomass increases they will consume more up to a point, but by and large 1/2 of EI should cover it.

Also consult this thread:
https://barrreport.com/index.php?threads/422/

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks, one more thing. Since this is a low tech I'm not sure how long the lights should be on all day?

If I set up a 40 gal low tech as well can I assume I should dose that size tank at half the EI amount as well?

Last edited:

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Start with 6 hours. You can increase it later and see if you get algae or not. It is also a question of light intensity. If light is too intense even the 6h can create problems. What light do you use ?

You can scale the dosing and get the same concentration. However, adjustments should be made for each tank individually (if you are into that sort of tweaking).

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm using two little clip on LEDs Super Slim White 5730spectrum 36leds So, I would say it's low light.
I want the lights to be over the crypts and I don't want much light over the Anubias.
I have these in a 20 long now and with them on one side and I light the way it looks.

As far as the ferts go. With low light low tech do you think I should still dose macs and mics 3x week?