This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

20 Gallon Long Low Tech W/ Only Crypts And Anubias How Much To Dose?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by rs18alpha, Jan 15, 2018.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    I have a high tech that I dose EI.

I'm going to set up a low tech 20 gal long with no CO2.
    The only plants that I'm going to use are a few different types of Crypts and Anubias.
    I'll be doing a 50% WC every week.
    I don't know how many ppm to dose my N P K and CSMB ferts?

I also don't know how many days a week I should be dosing?

Thanks for the help!!

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    9:16 AM
    As you are already dosing EI for the other tank I would suggest dosing the same thing on the same days to the new one. As for the dose, maybe 1/2 of the recommended EI is a good starting point.

You can adjust up or down depending on the plant response. As the biomass increases they will consume more up to a point, but by and large 1/2 of EI should cover it.

Also consult this thread:
    https://barrreport.com/index.php?threads/422/

3. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks, one more thing. Since this is a low tech I'm not sure how long the lights should be on all day?

If I set up a 40 gal low tech as well can I assume I should dose that size tank at half the EI amount as well?

#3 rs18alpha, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    9:16 AM
    Start with 6 hours. You can increase it later and see if you get algae or not. It is also a question of light intensity. If light is too intense even the 6h can create problems. What light do you use ?

You can scale the dosing and get the same concentration. However, adjustments should be made for each tank individually (if you are into that sort of tweaking).

5. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    I'm using two little clip on LEDs Super Slim White 5730spectrum 36leds So, I would say it's low light.
    I want the lights to be over the crypts and I don't want much light over the Anubias.
    I have these in a 20 long now and with them on one side and I light the way it looks.

As far as the ferts go. With low light low tech do you think I should still dose macs and mics 3x week?