1st Low-Tech Tank -- DSM Questions

Nikki Baptiste

Junior Poster
Oct 23, 2014
I have a couple questions about the Dry Start Method that I am going to be doing on my first low-tech planted aquarium with low/medium light and no CO2 injection.

Flora:
Anubias barteri
Aponogenton crispis
Moneywort
Water Sprite
Crypt Wendtii
Anacharis
Brazilian Pennywort
Tiger Lotus
Vallisneria spiralis

First question, will all these plants survive the duration of DSM? I am mainly worried about the Val, Apon, and water sprite. I don't know why, I guess because they have thin leaves they might dry out too fast for me to moisturize. I haven't found much information on exactly which plants are suitable for DSM. Typically people are usually using the DSM to create carpets of HC, etc. Could I use the DSM even though I'm not planning on doing any carpeting?

When planting stem plants, I need to lay the plant down horizontally so that new growth comes from the nodes, right? How would I plant the Val and Apon if I am to use them in the DSM? If not, should I wait until after I fill the tank to plant the Val and Apon?

I've read that the humidity should be kept at 70% to prevent fungus/mold. Can I do this by covering with plastic wrap but leaving a corner of the tank uncovered? Or, is necessary to get a hygrometer to measure the humidity?

How long should I wait before filling the tank? I am patient and wouldn't mind over but what is the minimum need for the cycle to establish, decomposition to take place, and all ammonia to used up by bacteria.