This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

180 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, May 1, 2007.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:21 AM
    Considering my dream discus fw planted tank, and what i want to go in it. Wondering about an acrylic tank, especially the lighting, which would be about 2 watts/gallon, and what the effect to the top (warpage) this lighting might have on the acrylic. Comments appreciated, thx in advance.

Walter:D

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Having 4 sets of 2x39w T5 per side would be ideal.
    Actually plenty of light.

Some use 4x 96 Watt PC.

Both are fine.

A well made tank should not warp, at least not anytime in the next 2-3 decades or longer.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The effect of the high wattage lights on the top of an acrylic tank would have to depend on how close the lights are to the top and what kind of lights they are. I don't see how a normal hood, holding the lights 2 inches or more from the plastic, with some air circulation thru the hood could warp the acrylic. Acrylic does warp from water absorption though. How much warpage is probably dependent on how thick the acrylic is. I know from experience that 1/8 inch thick acrylic will warp a lot.

4. sherry

sherry Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    my 3/8 inch acrylic tank has held up well to what has been 4 wpg on 2 inch legs.. Angelo at Saline Solutions - Wall Fountains :: Indoor Water Features :: Aquarium Equipment does a really neat tank btw for a great price. He made mine and I couldn't be happier. a 180 gallon tank would absolutely be thicker than mine too :)

I met him because I was on the telephone with a manager at Big Als when a different acrylic tank I had ordered from another manufacter arrived in pieces literally.. it had been so hideously packed. Dan at BigAls felt so sorry for me he called his friend Angelo .. and well, the man does incredible work!!! and he is a true mench to boot. I completely and wholeheartedly recommend him.