180 gallon rimless Starfire wood scape thus far

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Taylor,

Here you go...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

Having an external unit lets you remove it for cleaning/maintenance, and the odd photo shoot. Amano does similar things in his tanks. There's stuff in the tanks that aren't there in the photos. When done you just stick them back in. One "benefit" is no extra holes in the tank so in theory fewer potential leak issues. The big drawback is what happens if you keep pumping water into a tank with an external overflow that isn't working? Well, you get another kind of overflow which is not nearly so much fun.

-
S

vosstc

Junior Poster
Jul 9, 2009
Shoggath,

That was a very informative site on sumps, thanks for the link!

I suppose the question I still have is more so about a tank drilled in the bottom without a baffle like this one. In the case of it being connected to a canister filter, the water would only move as fast as the pump. For example if the power went off there would be no problems.

In an external overflow to a sump if the power went off the water from the tank would drain only until water no longer flowed over the baffle (with a large enough sump no problem). What happens in this tank in which the hole is in the bottom of the tank without a baffle and with a wet/dry filter? I mean it obviously works out. I assume there is something in place to stop the tank from draining completely out; I'm just not sure what concept I'm missing.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
In this case either you would plug the hole in the bottom and use an external return with a siphon break hole, or you could use a check valve. In THEORY the check valve is fine. In practice they don't always work as expected and then you can get the flood you would expect of just a straing hole in the bottom of the tank. If you go with a check valvle make sure you get a good one AND that you clean it periodically and test it.

-
S

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
resizedtrimcards1.jpg

Resizedtrim2.gif

resizedtrim1.jpg

Just some pics of the Starougyne being trimmed and the post grow out, the new sprouts come off the stem stumps.
These later fill in dense like in the background without ever uprooting the plant.

You can thin the plant groups individually by trimming out the tallest plants and letting the others fill in the gaps also, this works better than this method shown above.
The method shown above is done when there's a significant lull in trimming or simnply neglecting to trim more often.

This looks ugly for 2-3 weeks, but fills right back in and is low once again and can then be maintained more frequently via thinning versus mowing.
I'd not trim it to aggressively down, leave some stumps to sprout, it will stay low this way and not just continue to grow up. You can make mounds and larger shapes if you trim it right, it fills in dense as you can see to whatever shape.
Also, it makes an excellent refuge for smaller fry and shrimp since few fish can get into the dense forest below the leaves.

Regards,
Tom Barr

growitnow

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2007
Beautiful tank.

Stauro pruning pic and notes are informative.

The stems that run lateral to ground shown in the middle of the three trim pics, do they grow that way? (i.e., does removing upright stems expose those lateral runners which you just leave alone?)

Or are the lateral runners part of a trimmed upright staro stem, that is subsequently pushed horizontal onto the ground after trim?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
growitnow;51606 said:
Beautiful tank.

Stauro pruning pic and notes are informative.

The stems that run lateral to ground shown in the middle of the three trim pics, do they grow that way? (i.e., does removing upright stems expose those lateral runners which you just leave alone?)

Or are the lateral runners part of a trimmed upright staro stem, that is subsequently pushed horizontal onto the ground after trim?

They sort of spread out from a central point, some horizontal and some vertical.
I leave the horizontal stems there, these sprout new tips and form a low cover.
I cut the tops off.

I thin out the taller stems typically, if I do not keep up with it, I end up having to mow like this and it's an eye sore for a 2-3 weeks till new growth fills in.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Killer thread! And amazing tank.

Thanks for the info especially on how your trimming your plants - that kind of info is less common on the boards it seems and is really helpful.

Whiskey

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
There's at least 4 wats to prune and trim,

1. Uproot, replant tops
2. Hedge type trimming with scissors/mow
3. Thinning with hands
4. Trim tops only with scissors

Regards,
Tom Barr

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Tom Barr;51914 said:
There's at least 4 wats to prune and trim,

1. Uproot, replant tops
2. Hedge type trimming with scissors/mow
3. Thinning with hands
4. Trim tops only with scissors

Regards,
Tom Barr

Well,.. I mean yeah,.. it sounds simple I suppose -shrug- but it just struck me as cool that you took the time to shoot some photos and show everyone how it's done. You don't see that too often.

Do you have any tanks with Glosso? I'd love a photo showing how to trim that :D

Whiskey

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
HC:

Same thing for Gloss:

HCpruning4weekslater.jpg

Then a good trim:

HChackedback80liters.jpg

And Gloss:
Glosslawnmowed.jpg

Mowed to the bone.

This method took a lot of time and they where very careful.

Stems:

rotlalacut102107.jpg

Rotlala102107.jpg

I think telling people vs showing them with pics etc.........it's much better.

regards,
Tom Barr

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Awesome!!! You seem to have a whole stash if these pics :)

You mentioned that it took a long time, and they were very careful - is that the typical way to trim Gloss? Or is there another method that is often employed?

Thanks!
Whiskey

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
resizedcards66.jpg

resizedcardsjuly.jpg

resizedcards44.jpg

Pics of the cards, Royals(Sturisoma) and the Shrimp if you look.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
320 or so I think.

I did water change so they all compressed down.
Good reason to have a nice shorter tank, schooling species have no choice but the pack together.
They are all very fat and tame, feisty too.
All the fish in this tank are, including all the different Loricaria(4 chocolate emperors, 6 P leopardus, Scobinancistrus aureatus(my fav), a dozen Royals, Vampire, few ottos)
I might add a few more Roylas, maybe 3-4 and another 1-3 Scobinancistrus aureatus.

My other tanks have eclectic plecos as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

They look great!!

I did water change so they all compressed down

I also use the WC compression algorithm to get an idea of my cardinal count :) it works very well and I also use that time to catch as many platies as I can...

Good luck snaring the tetras you don't want. I have had those bleeding heart type and they are quick and suspicious...

Good reason to have a nice shorter tank, schooling species have no choice but the pack together.

Yes, the breeder tanks work well to show schoolers....

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CL_

Nipat, Still looks like aquasoil to me.

I can't wait to get my hands on more of that staurogyne :D

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Chris,

I ended up getting more stauro than I needed as conditions were not good for them here at first..not a bad thing as it helped me when I lost some...

Now however, I am being overrun with it....yours should expand rapidly as I know you know what you are doing....

Tom was sending me 40 plants a week for awhile it seemed LOL

Now I can send some to folks...

The stauro 049 is the bomb IMO!

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
CL_;52851 said:
Nipat, Still looks like aquasoil to me.

I can't wait to get my hands on more of that staurogyne :D

I meant if he had replaced the soil :)
Because it's 2.5 years now but the pellets still look good, clean, etc.