180 gallon rimless Starfire wood scape thus far

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
This tank looks very promising, I love the wood.

I have a question about the fish:

I have heard that hatchet fish are notorious jumpers, so are you going to be putting some kind of screen over this tank?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, glass lids.

I chose the Aqua lights because they where cheaper, more available, had a wider spread between bulbs, and better made fixture, thinner(2.75).
I looked at both in person side by side.
They give a better dispersion of the light.

I glued the wood in today.
It's not going anywhere.
The Lok line is well suited for the flow patterning I want also.

The pictures do not really show what the real scape will look like just yet, the wood will look very nice once I add the ADA AS.

And it'll be a dry start method for a lot of it, the HCV will be about 40% of the tank and most around the edges and the front.

It'll be mostly a Dutch style tank.
The wood and foreground plants are not, but that's okay.

I really do not care what style someone wants to call it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
George Farmer;22810 said:
Interesting wood and placement. Should look nice...

How thick is the glass? Does it bow?

3/4" about 16 mm, nope, that glass is like steel.
No bow.

The wood will look a lot more appealing once I finish the gluing and add the Aqua soil. A nice hole in the wood on one side will allow me to use the Lok line to direct water towards the front lengthwise part of the tank without it being seen.

Once you see the wood finally set, then you can judge it.
It's nice because there's a nice soft lazy chair right next to tank where I plan on sitting and where I like to read, the slope of the wood/tank layout trails off nicely when sitting here.

I have the bulk heads added(all sch 80) and the intake strainer etc, lok line, I have the Ocean clear filters ready, need the iwaki pumps is all which are on the way.

Regards,
Tom Barr

M

mrkookm

What model Iwaki's will you be using for your setup?

I've noticed you only use opt to OC filters, why not use the NU-Clear models? They seem to be pretty good units as well and I like that they have 1" in/outs.

Co2 Co2 Co2 :D what are your final plans if any for this 180g, will you be misting via Mazzei or doing the needle wheel thing.....I vote for **Mazzei** :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'll be doing both methods for CO2.
Yes, the Nu's have the 1" in/out, but I'm okay, the Iwaki 40's drive about 750 gph through the Canisters and is 3/4" in/out of that pump.

Plenty of head pressure.

Regards,
Tom Barr

M

mrkookm

Can't wait to see this up and running plumbed and all. I like your plant list as well, not a common mix so I'm curious to see how it will look when done. Keep us posted....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
More with the ADA AS:

ADAASWOOD2.jpg

WoodADAAS1.gif

frontADAASWOOD3.gif

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is not a large tank:)
It's the tanks you have hop inside to work on that are the issue, and folks that uproot plants way too often as well as filtration, flow etc.

Water clarity has never been an issue for me personally.
But then again, I have desire to own a tank that's anything over 28-30 inches deep.
It is fun viewing such larger tanks etc, but I do not want to own one.

Regards,
Tom

2wheelsx2

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2006
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Tom Barr;22892 said:
This is not a large tank:)

Point taken. Your 180 is about the largest I would ever want to go. My 125 gallon is plenty of work as it is. I don't know how you guys have the time/patience to work on multiple large - oops - medium :) sized tanks.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
A 180 is about the min size to do a nice full scape with the scales of the plants, rocks and wood bringing more meaning and ample contrast to different plants/fish/hardscape.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rirving

Junior Poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hi Tom, this is my first post, usually I just read your newsletters :cool: . Very nice project this. I'm very interested in the way you have drilled for filtration rather than going the glassware lilly pipe method that everyone else (UKAPS is my main forum, but its not just the British :) ) is following. Apologies if this is in another thread (I looked but could not find) but please can you point me somewhere that explains in detail how you plan to set it up?

Also a major concern with a planted tank is to get good flow - how are you going to set this up with drilled filtration? Thank you.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The tank will have about 1000gph or more running through it with excellent flow patterning. Plenty.

I intend to keep the plants fairly well trimmed, so they will not impede flow.
Drilled tanks is what I do for clients, they do not like crap hanging off the sides anymore than anyone else:)

I simply use a drill for glass, then add a bulk head, then plumb the filter.
You can do a similar thing for wet drys and add an overflow box inside the tank.

If the system is a sealed canister filter, then you do not need the over flow box either.

I'll detail more later as I get around to it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rirving

Junior Poster
Oct 2, 2007
Thank you for your answer Tom. I can see the filter in drain hole is a no brainer - you put in a tube with a strainer and hide with plants and that's one less tube to worry about :)

Tom Barr;23123 said:
The tank will have about 1000gph or more running through it with excellent flow patterning.

That's the bit that puzzles me - how do you do that without a lilly pipe or spray bar? I'm sure you don't just use another strainer. What's the trick for good flow from the filter into the tank while remaining unobtrusive?

I'll detail more later as I get around to it.

Sorry, being impatient I know, ;) but I'm about to order a tank and am thinking to ask them to drill it for me.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Just like the strainer, the hole is on the other side hidden by the wood and ADA AS.
Drilled return outflow as well as inflow. It's a closed loop coming in and out of the bottom of the tank. The lok line has 2 pipes to direct water at any angle I want and will give good turbulence on the surface on one side and the other will blast along the front of the tank.

Why have a drain/strain inlet and not the same for the return?
In a sump situation yes, but this is not a sump design, there's no real gravity fed or siphoning occuring here.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Here's some new pics of the filters etc and the back of the tank.

resizedlighthood1802.jpg

OCfilters1801.gif

Since folks have trouble visualizing the bulkheads and concept of no tubes and no overflow, here's a tank without any wood(yet):

resized60cubewestAF1.jpg

Here's the 38 gal with everything under there, just waiting for the tank really.

Rena338galfilter1.gif

Regards,
Tom Barr

rirving

Junior Poster
Oct 2, 2007
Tom Barr;23177 said:
Since folks have trouble visualizing the bulkheads and concept of no tubes and no overflow, here's a tank without any wood(yet):
Thanks for putting up the photos Tom - that's starfire glass clear now! :D