180 gallon rimless Starfire wood scape thus far

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Your a fan of the pendant style lighting fixtures eh Tom? I've always liked full hoods that match the stand, because I normally view my tanks from below their level, like sitting on a couch, or at my desk, and I found looking up into the light to be distracting. Do you shade it somehow? Or just get used to it?

Whiskey

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
So you're removing the OC filters? How do you plan to keep the clear PVC clean? I really liked the wet/dry setup I saw the one pic of. I liked the lack of clutter and how easy the filter looked easier to maintain than canisters with inline equipment. My only gripe personally is seeing an overflow in an open top tank.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
feh;68152 said:
So you're removing the OC filters? How do you plan to keep the clear PVC clean? I really liked the wet/dry setup I saw the one pic of. I liked the lack of clutter and how easy the filter looked easier to maintain than canisters with inline equipment. My only gripe personally is seeing an overflow in an open top tank.
The overflow is mostly hidden by the wood and the Bolbitus emergent growth.

Same with the Vortech, it's hard to notice in this tank when you see it in person, which counts FAR MORE than any pic of any tank.
At least to me.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Whiskey;68147 said:
Your a fan of the pendant style lighting fixtures eh Tom? I've always liked full hoods that match the stand, because I normally view my tanks from below their level, like sitting on a couch, or at my desk, and I found looking up into the light to be distracting. Do you shade it somehow? Or just get used to it?

Whiskey

This fixture does not spill much like the Tek fixtures actually.
Never had much algae issues in the tank since I've had it. A touch of BBA, but we all know what that is from/due and the corrective measure.
But never any bad out breaks of anything, very minor stuff at worse.

Some folks like the full hood, or built into the wall(I'm a fan of this, but not a large cabinet out on it's own), I've always liked the old Dupla and ADA aesthetic.
There is a highly practical reason for it also, easy to work on the tank, no hood to remove, nothing to stop me from randomly walking by and start to work on the tank or see something out of place etc, and a trim etc and I
m done.

The bad parts: light spray, however, this is reduced on this tank and all my other tanks have nice ATI's except this one ..and I'll switch over at some point.
Other bad part is no glass lid, but I slip those on at night and had custom made ones for these tanks.

This is mostly to reduce evaporation and moisture in the house during winter to prevent mold.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Fish have been added, the cards are fattening up and the Red Apistos have returned and seem to do well.
The old Male Sturisoma died for some reason, made it through all sorts of hell, but die well after the ich outbreak.
Hopefully the Apistos will pick off some of the RCS I have in here. I see them hunting them.
Amano's are much too tough and large for them though.

I have 8 nice sized Deep blue gene Blue diamond Discus about 3.5" long out in the garage that are leftover from a client.

Tempted to add them, but worry they will pick off the cardinals, I'm happy if they ate every RCS though.
Once the cards fatten up, I might if they are still around.

kevinmichael77

Guru Class Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Wisconsin
Would you have any suggestions for background plants in a medium tech tank to achieve this look. I will be using excel and doing light ei dosing but want to keep it less maintenance than my high tech tank. Right now I'm just using 48watts of t5ho lighting over my 40b and have had good results with the stauro repens. I will be adding the blyxa soon but still trying to figure out a less demanding stem plant that I could grow in this set-up and achieve a similar look. Any advice would be welcomed.