This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

180 Gallon Cardinal Tetra Tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by jason baliban, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jason baliban

jason baliban Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:14 AM
    Yup, I am going to do it. The cliche of all cliche's! The 180 gallon tank JAMMED with cardinal tetras!

I havent been around in a while. Actually i havent had a planted tank running for a few years now. Life got a hold of me. Two kids, new recording studio business, primary job responsibilities, you know.

Anyway, my 180 (60x30x24") tank has been sitting empty for too long now and i have been struggling with the idea of selling it....selling everything, all my aquarium goodies, as a matter of fact. It is just such a waste of space and if we move (which we are actively considering) what a pain!

Well, if it has fish in it, there is not need to sell it! HAHA See how I used the jedi mind trick on myself?!

So, here is the plan.

In the next month i am going to put together a low maintenance layout with some HUGE driftwood, moss, java fern, and potentially lilaeopsis. Then, i am going to jam as many cardinal tetras in there as possible!

Here is a pic of the current state of the aquarium. Thats right, you see it back there in no glory?! We are going to change that.

[​IMG]

Oh, and in this pic you can see the 75p that is hanging out doing nothing. Sad days.

[​IMG]

jB

2. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Went up to visit msjinkzd and look at some of the wood she is selling.

If you guys dont know about msjinkzd, you will shortly:)

[​IMG]

First rough idea. Its evil, just how i like it!

[​IMG]

jB

3. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Hard scape. Not too bad. Would have liked to do some other things, but i promised myself i would use what i had and just relax with this one.

[​IMG]

Some Powersand for the haters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 bags of AS later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filling...

[​IMG]

I will get some more up in a few days after things settle in.

jB

4. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Liking the setup.. can't wait to see how this progresses

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I see water in it!

Well, if you do sell it, then get a nice rimless 180 star fire, wet/dry sump sealed, ADa style stand and some cool lighting.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I see water in it!

Well, if you do sell it, then get a nice rimless 180 star fire, wet/dry sump sealed, ADa style stand and some cool lighting.

7. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Will be following Jason. I think you are one of the best aquascapers I've ever seen. I love the style you layout.

I think you are already off to a great start! Can't wait to see it all grown in.

8. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Thanks, JJ. I appreciate that!

A small update coming tonight.

jB

9. charlie

charlie Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Subscribed Jason, the Ottawa crew is watching lol
    Errol

10. antbug

antbug Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Glad to see this journal alive on this site. Looking forward to your updates.

11. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Errol!! Man, i am missing you guys and Ottawa!!

Thanks ant!

jB

12. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Quick little update...

The water has cleared up and i am already starting to see the lil spread. This is by far the most sparse i have ever planted a tank so i am being very careful....and playing with fire.

I have started witha 5 hour photoperiod.....we shall see.

[​IMG]

jB

13. PapaBear

PapaBear Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Jason,

I must say, what captivated me was the clean, professional looking setup you have in your room. Love the twin LED monitors.

Great tank, great start. Simple..... for now. Will be following this thread. Good luck!!!

14. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I like this scape very much. I also like the choice of fish...A few questions/thoughts if I may..

Rachel is very nice and I have purchased shrimps and fish from her before... My current stock of amanos are from Rachel...

1. Will there be other fish species used? I currently have a shoal of 275 cards in my 220. Other than ottos that is it for fish. Look really nice as a single species as you can see from my last vid.

2. What plants r u using atm? I cannot id them all from the pic :)

3. I see u r using c02. I have kept cardinals now for some years, and have found that they will hide if stressed from c02. I have heard of this from others with cards as well. An extra bit of surface ripple helped in many cases. I tend to compare their activity/behavior both with and w/0 c02 (at the same time of day) to see if c02 stress exists.

4. Will you purchase/add all the fish at once? Or build a larger shoal over time?

Looking forward to you adding the fish...

Thanks for sharing....

15. jason baliban

Local Time:
    I actually replaced those monitors with one larger monitor. I will try to get an updated pic up of that:)

1) I think for now i am just doing cards and amanos. Maybe a bottom dweller, but i am not sure.

2) Crypts, JF narrow, xmas moss, lilaeopsis.

3) I am using CO2. I am going to use a diffuser....on and off with the lights.

4) Thats a good question. I am relying on Rachel for advice on that. She lives close by so she has been a great help. She is amazeballs!

jB

16. denske

denske Member

Local Time:
    Looks great bud, glad you kept the journal going.

17. jason baliban

Local Time:
    Probly time for a quick update.

Things are progressing in an expected way. I am getting a little bit of brush algae on some of the leaves that should have been pruned at planting. I am also getting some GDA on the glass and some leaves.

Unfortunately, I had to go through the full cycle because i didnt have any filter "seed" available.

It looks like the cycle is settling down so i am taking a trip to msjinkzd on monday to pick up the amano crew, probly about 100 of them.

As for the brush algae, i started some OD dosing of excel just to soften it up for the amanos.

jB

18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Amano's will help with the BBA a bit, the small busy nose plecos are super for GDA and any glass, or smooth rock or wood. They are cheap and and much tougher than Otto's. They can be removed at a later date.

I often end up just trimming the old leaves off the NL java after new growth starts coming in. Amano said he did this also, some years back I recall.

19. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Amano's will help with the BBA a bit, the small busy nose plecos are super for GDA and any glass, or smooth rock or wood. They are cheap and and much tougher than Otto's. They can be removed at a later date.

I often end up just trimming the old leaves off the NL java after new growth starts coming in. Amano said he did this also, some years back I recall.

20. jason baliban

Local Time:
    I will look into them, Tom. Thanks for the tip. I agree with O cats. I feel like they are the most over rated "planted" fish....aside from their cuteness, of course.

jB