Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
[flash=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/v/V3VNwfNtNA0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0">

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
[video=youtube;V3VNwfNtNA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VNwfNtNA0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

If you do "edit post" below you can see the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Adding [ ] on each end is the embed code. On a local forum, we had issues and used the flash player code above.
You can size the embedding as well(the 390 640 are the size formats).

video=youtube;V3VNwfNtNA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VNwfNtNA0&feature=player_embedded[/video

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
7a2d564d.jpg

I'll be working the L. pantanal and some Ammannia etc into the scape and some Erio type 3. They do well in the tank. I removed the lace plants and have some Lag's and then a few C usteriana, and C. aponogertiifolia.
There are some Ludwigia pilosa also. Due to the higher tank, and higher CO2, those plants thrive better in this tank.

The light is actually about 1/2 what it is in the 120 Gal tank.

engine50

Junior Poster
May 17, 2009
FL
Looks great Tom,
Can you elaborate on your overflow and retun line as I'm very old and can't quite make it out...and for that matter your sump? Looks like a Tom Aquatics pump for siphon restart but that's all I can make out with your Bolbitis growing emergently.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's a CPR over flow and then a wet/dry below, nothing elaborate or complicated, the wet/dry section is sealed with duct tape.

jcgd

Prolific Poster
Jun 8, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I really like this tank, always have. I like it because it looks nice and clean, and I like how you change it slightly every once in a while, not a lot, but just a little. It acts like an example of how you can use the same hard scape, yet change the look with the plants. Best of all, I like how it appears attainable, not like some picturesque scapes you see.

Are those L10As on the right and left? I know you've mentioned what they are before, and that they have bred for you, but forget what you said they were. What is the yellow/redish looking plant at the very right of the blyxa?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No, those are not the red royal farowellas, those only get maybe 3-4" max, these are Sturisoma arueum, they get 10-12 inches.
What is odd, I've never seen this size breed. Maybe 5" or so?

Plants in the background:

Hydrothrix, Red Pantanal, Erio type 3(a few type 1 in recovery), and 3 different types of Ammannia.
Nesaea crassilus is in the mix also.

The Ammannia is suppose to be senegalensis, but it's huge.
As in the same size as gracilius. I have A gracilius that looks normal, then a red stem slow growing form of A gracilius that was sold to me.
It's a slower growing and more deep red type.

I'm not sure it's the same species or just a different variety type.
There's another A. senegalensis which I do not have and I've seen a different version a long tiem ago also, sort of an olive colored one.
What I know to be A. senegalensis is red/orange and about 1/2 the leaf length as A gracilius. That is what was supplied to the hobby for several years, 1-2 decades.
These new deeper red types which grow slow are nice though. Harder to grow, but nice because they do grow slower.

The lower growing stuff on the far right is Ludwigia pilosa. I sold most of it and then saved the stumps which regrew nice tops again.
Nice plant as well.

jcgd

Prolific Poster
Jun 8, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Ahh, pilosa... I had a hunch, but I didn't want to shoot in the dark. I got my hands on a stump. Maybe 1.5" tall (on a 6" bare stem) I'm hoping to grow out into a nice batch. It's a neat looking Ludwigia. Haven't seen much like it but so far it's just sitting there looking silly. It was a beautiful red colour when I got it. Now that it's putting out new leaves it is a beautiful green colour (like everything in my tank). I also found some Panatal but it disappeared one day. I'm not sure if it melted away, or a pleco stripped it or what, but one day it was there, bright pink, next day it was gone without a trace.

Sturisoma arueum I don't think I've heard of before. They were breeding for you though? Or was that another species? I remember you had something that was laying eggs higher up on the glass, high enough that the eggs were exposed during water changes.

aamir9110

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2012
PA
Video

Tom, why so parsimonious with videos, would like to see you tend to your aquariums. A picture is a thousand words, so what would a nice video be???

Few things would put your message across than a nicely done film. Hell id take a phone video AND buy you coffee for a educational youtube video.

Regards,
AR

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Removed the mini butter fly, Rotala sunset and the Lace plant weeds.
Left the Red pantanal weed and the Erio type 3(cannot see it due to a fresh trim) and added Crypt aponogetifolia(very rare in the hobby, but a nice easy plant).
The Crypt has been sending out a fair no# of runners finally and has become well established.

Cards are big and fat, lots of shrimp, plecos, very well fed tank.
Elatine hydropiper grows fine up in the moss near the top of the wood poking out, even under the high light and the heat, this tank is about 84F.
So my problems have to do with fish uprooting it, not temp or conditions environmentally.

redone180_zps11b436b6.jpg
[/URL]

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
When I move next, I'll sell the tank and modify things a lot.
Likely a similar design.

This size tank is perfect for maintenance for me.
So I'm pondering getting 2-4 of them this same size.
Keeping the 120, getting another 4ft tank and then Mr Aqua 18x18x24.
A 70 gallon and then one of the 180's shall be marine.