150g Wormcasting / ZeoSand "high tech"

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Only thing I can say negative about the ZeoSand is that it is light enough that it is tough to maintain anytype of serious slope.

I'm going to be setting up a part II in an office in a few months. So I might be doing some experimenting in a few smaller tanks soon. Client has a footprint that will accomodate 200-300 gallons and some specific desires which are going to create some hurdles. Great part is I get another large tank with full control on someone elses wallet :p.

torpedobarb

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2008
NW Indiana
I was thinking of getting the zeo sand like you were telling me about.. but I am just going to use the 3m T grade colorquartz and the filler and cap. I have the SMS now at it sucks.. it is really light and gets moved around very easily. I had a nice slope towards the back of the tank and it is gone now. That is another reason for me getting rid of it.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
The Zeosand is nice in that it doesn't brown up nearly as bad as any other type of white sand. If you uproot an area it will dirty up, but a light careful vacuuming takes care of that. I'll probably experiment with some rocks for terracing and see if that helps. But for normal type flat scapes with a few inches scaled towards the back it does work well as is. Plus the benefit of one large biofilter as a substrate doesn't hurt.

torpedobarb

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2008
NW Indiana
I am fabricating or having it fabricated a set of new fixture legs for the light. currently the fixture is only 2" off the top of the tank. I am going to have them made to have it 8" . I don't know about going higher because of it dispersing the light everywhere in the room.. lol. I made a temporary set of legs to get it up that high and the light is definitely more evenly distributed than before.. so I think that will work for me especially with only 2x54 for 6 of the 8hr period with all 4x54 for 2hrs noon burst. should I make the burst longer?

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
I'll have to take one final shot of this tank before it comes down in a couple weeks when I get home. Due to upcoming travel and probable overseas relocation it makes sense to tear this tank down. It really has performed well over the years even with its constant neglect. Next venture will be another paludarium though. I really do like the combination of having both aquatic and terrestrial viewpoints.