125 co2 setup question

maknwar

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati
I am going to add co2 to my 125 gallon. It currently has a FX5 filter. The co2 system will be separate from the filter so I am going to add a pump with needle wheel and DIY some PVC plumbing for the out take into 3 parts of the tank (both ends and middle). What pump would be sufficient for this job and are there any drawbacks/problem with my design?

BayBoy1205

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
I just got mine finished last night. I used the Danner Mag 9.5. I went with a pump this big because it is sitting under the tank in the cabinet. I ran the output up to the center of the tank and then down about 4 inches from the bottom and then teed it in both direction about 9 inches and then 45 connectors on the ends. I get very little misting though. Thinking it is due to the way I had to run the PVC?? I used 3/4" PVC for all of the runs. I also incorporated shutoff valves so that I can drain only the connections to the pump when I need to clean it and not loose the siphon. If you are going to try and plumb that many outputs you may need a bigger pump or play with the output pipe sizes.

maknwar

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati
So the mag-drive 9.5 didnt give you enough flow for the misting? Thinking about like a pan world 100x for it.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Please keep in mind that there will be LESS mist the further away from the outlet the source of the mist is.............

c02 has more time to dissolve in water the longer the time spent in the pipes...thinner pipe will flow LESS volume of water but faster than wider pipe.

The closer to the outlet that the mist originates, the more will make it to the tank.

Maknwar,

If you step up to a 100x just for c02, may I suggest the use of a mazzei and bypass assembly so you can use some of the extra power from the pump for circulation that is unused by the venturi?

I think you could do very well with a mag 5 or 7 and a DIY PVC reactor. Or maybe one small pump/diffusor on each side? Then a koralie 3 or 4 to help mix it around...

Are you running a sump or wet/dry or closed canister?

Hope this helps.

maknwar

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati
Gerryd, thank you for your input. I am running a canister right now. I just dont know what the best way of getting co2 into the tank is. I have read that misting is a very good way and currently have a reactor on my 75 gallon. I was wanting to try the misting on my 125 gallon, but dont know how to set it up from there. I might just go with a smaller pump and run two hoses into two separate places into the tank. I have no experience with a mazzei, so that might be something that I could attempt to experiment with.

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
maknwar I have a 125 and use 2 ac 70 powerheads with 3 cut in each blade with a hacksaw blade.* I have them on each end and 1 front and 1 back making a ciclier motion.* I t'ed co2 line and use 2 needle valves. BayBoy1205 you are getting about 500 gph running it that way if you haven't figured your head loss.

maknwar

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati
I might just go with the discs because its the simpler and cheaper design. If that doesnt work, I might try the mazzei. Plumbing everything will probably be my last option. Thanks everyone for your help.

BayBoy1205

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
Now that I have been running the Mag 9.5 for almost two weeks. I have upped the bubble count slightly and I get very good misting and CO2 bubbles all over the tank.

The plants are now pearling more then ever! Still adjusting the amount of pH drop I need. But plants are growing allot better then they were with a diffuser.

I wish I would have gone this way from the start instead of a diffuser disk. didn't like how the bubble size would change as it got dirty and then you would have to clean it. Plus it was something else you had to see in the tank.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
I tried to mist on my 60gal and didn’t see the results like i do with my inline reactor. I know your tank is much larger but misting seems like a poor way to move co2 around, a lot of it floats to the surface and off gasses and if you have good flow most of it cannot stick to the plants as its passing by too quickly. Just watching my drop checkers at the same BPS the disk takes all day to get my drop checker to just go yellow; my inline reactor takes it there in less then an hour. I guess this is due to the reactor getting 100% dissolution vs the disk... just a thought...