This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

120P ADA - Dutch Style Attempt

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Omar EAZi, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    1:34 PM
    I'm brand new to this forum, as a matter of fact I think this is my first post besides the few commenting I've done here and there.
    This is going to be my Dutch garden attempt journal, I only have recently came around to find out the dutch style aquariums, so all the plans I had for an Iwagumi tank has been torn apart and I decided to do a dutch style tank, or I would say attempt to do so cause I'm very far away from having a good dutch style scape.
    I'm not very experienced when it comes to planted aquariums, so having a dutch style aquarium is a big challenge to me, with all the aspects that I have to keep in mind, I'm not sure how will my tank turn out in few months, but I'm excited and I'm ready for the challenge.
    I'll start by making a list of the specs and the things I've used so far:

Tank:
    As the title says 120P ADA 120x45x45cm / 65Gallons

Filter:

Eheim Pro 4+ 600

Lights:

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE

Co2:
    4KG industrial Cylinder
    HSL Pro-01 Solenoid Regulator
    Rhinox Glass Drop Checker kit
    New Atomizer System - from up-aqua(It's literally named new atomizer system).
    a picture for illustration:
    [​IMG]

Soil:

ADA AquaSoil

Fertilizers:

PPS Pro
    Seachem Excel+Fe. Metrex Metricide is on the way to replace Excel when it finishes.
    Seachem Flourish Tabs

Inlet/Outlet:
    Lily Pipes - JARDLI branded from Amazon(didn't come with package)
    Had Focuspet brand lily pipes that I switched to a smaller tank for now and using these instead.

Testing Kit:

API Freshwater master testing king

Okay enough specs and let's move on to pics:
    Btw, I live in Dubai and we have very little Freshwater tank resources from LFS so I have to order most of my stuff from USA Amazon and wait for a while till they get here, and I have to keep praying that they get delivered to me in a usable unbroken form.

These were my first arrivals:
    The Co2 Cylinders are locally bought from an industrial distributor.
    [​IMG]

The stand is custom made from a local carpentry
    [​IMG]

The hardscape, was really hesitant to add a hardscape or not, but I really liked this piece of riverwood so ended up adding it anyways:
    [​IMG]

Planting done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filling it with water took forever since I had a tiny pump, and I had to fill up big bucket of water, and since the temperature gets to 45 Celsius in summer in Dubai the tap water is extremely hot, so I have to add ice to the bucket and wait it to cool, then fill up the tank, fill up the bucket again and realize that I've ran out of ice, and just sit and wait for the water to get to a reasonable temp before adding it to the tank.
    [​IMG]

Done Filling:
    Here you'll see that I'm actually using a normal Co2 diffuser, that's because I went through some problems, I ordered the wrong sized reactor from amazon [​IMG] and didn't realize until it was time to set it up, so I had to use whatever I had in position at that moment:
    [​IMG]

Some Finnex 24/7 feature:
    [​IMG]

Here's a 1 week update on the tank, pics taken today 29th June, I added some Zebra Danios to help cycle the tank, I keep check on water parameters to make sure they're okay.
    [​IMG]
    Some 1 week worth of growth, the long stems were already that tall when I got them, will trim and plant the good tops and toss the rotty bottoms(Learnt this from @burr740)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    UG is showing very little growth, but I'm happy it didn't die on me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this is only the beginning, I received my PPS Pro package last night, and started dosing today, so in a week I'll expecting to see better growth, or I'll let the time judge that.
    Thanks for the read ya'll.

2. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    2:34 PM
    Nice set up. This style of tank is on my wish list, but I need to get a lot better with my scaping skills before I upgrade from my current setup.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Omar EAZi likes this.
  3. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Believe me I'm still bad with scaping and all, but wanted a setup that I can work on without having to upgrade in the close future. Will surely keep the thread updated.

4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:34 PM
    oh wow it looks really nice :) that riverwood though really makes the scape.

Omar EAZi likes this.
  5. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Haha ikr, that piece of riverwood made me change my mind from not using any hardscape.

6. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    So after observing my tank for a while, I came to the realization that the riverwood is taking too much space in the tank and limiting me from having a proper Dutch style. So I'll be removing the riverwood piece, maybe add some small riverwood pieces and cover them with moss.

7. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Sounds like a good idea,
    Bye mr. riverwood :(

8. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Well, I really liked that piece of riverwood, but it was taking up so much space in the tank and I barely had any space to play with.. anyways, now that I've removed it the tank looks naked lol!! too much empty space, I also removed the zebra danios that I had in there to help me cycle the tank cause they were eating my UG plant, now they're in the patio pond!! this Thursday my LFS is getting a new shipment of plants, so I'll be getting bunch of new plants and filling up the empty spaces, the front line is going to be half UG and half Monte Carlo.

[​IMG]

9. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    ooooh nice RB in the back right there... Nice...
    Also yea it looks naked and afraid... But good potential now more than it had last time since there is more space!

Omar EAZi likes this.
  10. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Yeah I found that RB by luck in one of the LFS, it was planted in one of their display tanks, and it was recently trimmed, I had to beg the salesman to give me some trims!! was glad he agreed lol!!

DutchMuch likes this.
  11. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Now bad news is, the stupid inline diffuser I had, as some of the reviews on youtube mentioned that it was made out of really bad quality plastic, it turned out to be true, the small screw thingy that you put the Co2 tube on broke, not really sure what exactly it's called, but I think you guys understood, tried to fix it but it's not possible, so had to pull out this in tank diffuser for now till I get my hands on some good quality inline diffuser, probably gonna go with the JBL Proflora Direct this time. Heard some good stuff about it, I know most of you guys use the DIY Co2 inline diffuser, but I'm really bad when it comes to that so I'm getting myself a ready made one lol.

12. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Good move taking out the wood, considering the style of tank you're aiming for.

Omar EAZi likes this.
  13. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    So there's been an update, waiting till Thursday required lot of patience, which I don't have, so right after work I drove to the closest city's fish shop that I was told I would find most of the plants I'm looking for at, it wasn't that far around 50mins driving, so I went there, got tons of plants, and filled up all the empty spaces. and I got small part of the DW and put it on the left side, right now it has some plants on it that usually grow on rocks/DWs can't recall the name atm, and later on will put bunch of moss on it for my shrimps to munch on.
    Here's how it looks now.
    The front part, left part is UG, middle is Pogostemon helferi, right is Monte Carlo. between the UG and the Pogostemon Helferi there's a line of Alternanthera Reinecki Mini going to the back in a curvy street.
    [​IMG]

Now all I can do is patiently wait for the plants to grow up. really excited on how this tank is gonna turn out in few months.

Jason King and Dman like this.
  14. Dman

Dman Subscriber

Local Time:
    Lol I can sympathize with you so easily on the patience part. Looking great and looking forward to this filling in. Let the thumb twitteling begin!!! I know that's what I do while I wait and try watch my plants grow... Oh its been an hour so I better go check if everything is ok...lol my fiancée thinks i'm nuts.

Dan

15. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    Haha glad I'm not the only one, my wife already thinks that I need some help, it's hard to make her understand lol.

Dman likes this.
  16. slipfinger

Local Time:
    Looking good so far. Can't wait to see this grow out. If your like me you'll be sitting in front of the tank for hours on end just staring at it.....

Must be nice to have a LFS that actually has plants like AR mini and helferi in stock. If you can find a store selling it around here they want $25 for 2 very small crowns of helferi, don't think I've ever seen AR mini in store.

DutchMuch likes this.
  17. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    The tank is between the living room sofa and the dining table, so basically I'm staring at it even when I'm having food, and these days I find myself actually looking forward to TV Ads when watching a movie or a series.
    Well where I live LFS are our only resource for getting plants, even the trims I get are from LFS, here we have a fixed price for plants usually around 15$ for a pot. Sometimes if you're lucky you'll get them for 10$ depending on the brand. Right now the tank is full, I've only kept a space empty in the back for when I'll be able to find myself some Rotala Macrandara or however it's spelled.
    Thanks for the read and support errrrybody

18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Generally, if the UG is doing poorly: CO2.

Water changes when you have a new set up also with ADA AS or similar.

19. Omar EAZi

Omar EAZi Member

Local Time:
    I'm pumping Co2 and keepin the checker around lemon green, around 2 bps.
    I thought I shouldn't be doing water changes till the tank is cycled and I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite?! or is it different for plants?

20. slipfinger

Local Time:
    A drop checker will not show you the whole picture when it comes to your concentration of Co2 in the tank.

As many here do, get a hold of a PH pen or monitor and take some readings throughout the day. Those little PH drop tests kits are worthless don't bother buying one. Almost impossible to differentiate amongst the colours on the chart.

Key times to test would be just before Co2 comes on, just as the lights come on and then random times during the photo period.

What this will tell you is what your actual PH drop is over the given period.

To establish a baseline take some tank water in a cup and let it off gas for 48 hours. This will give you a reading without any 'artificial' Co2.

In the end I am hoping to get a least a 1 point or greater drop in PH before the lights come on, this insures the plants have sufficient dissolved Co2 available to them when they need it (lights on).

For example, I personally get about a 1.1 drop just before lights come on and it peaks at about 1.4/5. I could not even tell you how many bps, its just a stead stream. I am sure I'm wasting Co2 and I could make thinks more efficient, which is on my to-do list.

#20 slipfinger, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Omar EAZi likes this.