This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

120 Gallon new redo take 2

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tom Barr, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:37 AM
    I have tried to bring/sell/give away plants to my LFS. It was a frustrating experience. They did not know what they were looking at and didn't care. I ended up leaving with all I had brought. I hoped that by introducing the store to more plants there may be others who learn to enjoy a planted aquarium. No such luck. That was the last time I brought in plants for them. I feel bad composting them, but more often than not that is what happens. A few times I have mailed a box full of a variety of plants to new hobbyists for just the price of shipping. Its a pay it forward type of thing.

How low do you trim your stems on the first trim?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Your experience is the same for many LFS's Shadow Mac.

I'll post some before/after trim pics, I think that's best. I really do not do anything special with trimming, pretty much like ADA's examples, I might replant tops to fill in space or remove ratty lower sections with fresh nice tops.
    I tend to cut based on the tops regrowing out and hiding the ugly stumps below.

Some like L peruinesis and R wallchii, I uproots and replant only tops.
    Other's like Crypts, I'll pinch leaves. Grasses: get mowed. Sod removal methods etc.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Junior Poster

Local Time:
    By golly those red plants are absolutely beautiful. This is a layout that I might give a go at trying out one time.

I love that great big hunk of wood in the corner of the room as well. Do you have any plans for ever putting that into a monster fish tank in the future or is just a decorative piece for your home?

Jennifer

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    No, it's defined as Art now.......so it's just room decor.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    A Before and after the hacking trim:

redfronttankshotOct4th.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
  7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Very much a nature scape anyway, but I like the combination with some colourful plants.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'm still waiting for the street plants to grow up more so I have a nice slope towards the rear. The Starougyne porto velho is taking it's sweet time, everything else is growing along nicely.

9. nazrm

nazrm Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    When you set up and plant a tank like this, do you use all the bulbs you planned to use right from the get-go, or wait a couple of weeks for the plants to grow in?

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I use the bulbs I have to produce 40-50 micromol over the sediment.
    I adjust the height of the fixture to do that and use the min widest spacing I have.

There are 8 bulbs on the fixture, but I only use 4, the 2 outside pairs. If I used all 8, then I have a very very hard time keeping up with the growth rate. I tried this in the past, it was very hard to get the plants to grow together at the same rates, L pantanal grew 6 inches a week, while other plants maybe 1" a week. Now with 1/2 the light, they all grow similar and the pantanal only grows 2" a week, much easier to manage.

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for posting the before and after pictures of the trimming. It is helpful to see these things. I don't consider myself a beginner anymore and have gotten down the growing plants side, but learning technique and method to achieve certain looks is still a work in process.

I would be more than happy to take some cuttings off your hands if ever you were so inclined :D

The October Aquajournal was actually a pretty good beginner guide despite the commercial interruptions. Would have been nice to have a year ago.

12. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, ADA/Amano have been consistent and REALLY good about illustrating the craftsmanship involved. They detail this out in more issues than not.........but folks squabble over their ferts Kelvin on their lighting far more and do not discuss the main focus(gardening).
    I wish more would pay attention to the real issue they are trying to get aquarist to pay attention too.

13. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tom all I can say is SICK!!!! Wowza...Dude that is an awesome tank and what I'm aspiring to do with my tanks! That is my style and you hit the nail on the friggin head. So this is a non CO2? How often are you ferting it? You got lots of movement?

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    No, there is CO2 being added. Not sure how much, as Amano sometimes says" ......Enough".

15. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Wow. The last time I saw this tank you had ripped everything out and there was nothing but wood for a hardscape. This is awesome. Very colorful and dramatic.

16. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom for clarifying that. I spoke with Gerry D and as I was rereading it...it dawned on me that you where just mentioning that you have 1 nonCO2 and so forth. Oops lol. When I get to rescape my 100 I'm gonna follow your model here. Love this tank!!!

17. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Jerry, Sorry for any confusion............

This tank is extremely resilient and robust, hard to mess things up ATM, I'm sure if I try hard enough or neglect something.

So........3 tanks down, the Reef is on it's way also, but several months from the final stocking of critters and corals, fish, shrimp etc......
    Then several months/years for the corals.

Next real tank is the other 70 Gal which I'll have a few cook book type of displays for a week or two and get some illustration pics.

Then I'll scape it in earnest.

Then all 5 tanks will be fairly well set up and stable, they will have LED's, all will have Wet drys and nice flow/current dynamics, open top designs etc.

18. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I like the tank, I can see the Dutch influences combined into a more nature like scape. Especially the wrapping of the reds with greens around them really brings out the colour.

19. Chunks

Chunks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Please excuse the noobie asking what may be an obvious question to everyone else, what substrate do you use to get a result like this?

I love it, I have to know how to do this :)

Do you ever use a DIY soil e.g. MTS? Do you have a recipe you have used with good success?

20. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Do you plan to keep the reef tank an open top? I've read where a lot of people end up making screens to keep the jumpers in. I've also seen arguments stating the jumping is due to incompatible fish. I'm still a couple months away from even worrying about fish, but thought I'd ask what your thoughts were.